Configure Blue Iris to record on substream, but switch to main stream for single-camera live view?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am still fairly new to BI and learning it's capabilities, which are super impressive given it's unbelievably low price. So far I have 44 cameras installed on my site, with plans to install more for a total of around 57 cameras. With this many cameras I have configured the video settings of the cameras to use the lower-rez substream and a low frame rate of around 10 FPS. I have arranged my cameras into several groups for management and monitoring. Is there any way to configure BI so that when monitoring live view, either through the BI or the UI3 web interface, that it will switch from the substream to the main stream when I "full screen" a single camera?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It does that by default, whatever is configured as your main stream will be viewed when you full screen a single cam. If you’re using lo res on your main stream and and even lower res for the sub then it will be the lo res main stream that you’ll see when you full screen.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does that by default, whatever is configured as your main stream will be viewed when you full screen a single cam. If you’re using lo res on your main stream and and even lower res for the sub then it will be the lo res main stream that you’ll see when you full screen.
Ok cool. I only entered the substream string into the main stream box and left the substream box empty. I will take a look at this when I am in the office on Monday. What about for recording? Is there an option to tell it which stream to record?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok cool. I only entered the substream string into the main stream box and left the substream box empty. I will take a look at this when I am in the office on Monday. What about for recording? Is there an option to tell it which stream to record?
If you’ve entered the sub stream into the main stream box then all you’ll ever see is the substream, BI can’t magically pull streams out of thin air which it doesn’t know about. So in your case it will be recording at whatever definition the sub stream is set to within the camera that it’s pulling.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you’ve entered the sub stream into the main stream box then all you’ll ever see is the substream, BI can’t magically pull streams out of thin air which it doesn’t know about. So in your case it will be recording at whatever definition the sub stream is set to within the camera that it’s pulling.
Yes I understand that, which is why I said I will go back and take a look at that when I am back in the office. My followup question was which stream does it record and are their options to control that. Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think with a later change it records the main stream and the sub, the sub is used for quick navigation but Ill be honest I don’t now how actually the recorded sub would be used.