Configuring USB thumb drive as NAS on router

JimLudden

n3wb
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD3T35-I5 camera (firmware V5.3.8 build 160108) and have given up trying to send Email event. I cannot configure the smtp.gmail.com or smtp.aol.com servers to work. All I get is “Test Failed” with our without encryption.

So I plugged a thumb drive into my TP-Link router to use as network attached storage (NAS). The router assigns the name ‘volume9’ to this drive. I can see the drive from my Mac, where ‘volume9’ looks like a folder. The ‘server’ looks like 192.168.1.211, which is the static IP of my router, being used as an Access Point.

When I connect to the camera via Safari and navigate to the Configuration>Network>Advanced Settings>FTP, I enter the IP address ‘192.168.1.211' or '192.168.1.211\volume9' into the ‘Server Address’ field. Entering the username and password that I used to secure the NAS drive, “Failed to connect the test server.” is the best I can achieve.

I would like to record wildlife activity. Setting up the events seemed easy. But getting a record of those events out to me has been a battle I have not yet won. I have not even been able to snap a picture or manually record video and find it to play back.

Any suggestion?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some questions if I may:
TP-Link router to use as network attached storage (NAS).
Does your TP-Link router have an FTP server active?
can see the drive from my Mac, where ‘volume9’ looks like a folder.
Can you also access using FTP on the Mac?
Are you able to add the 'volume9' share as a NAS NetHDD destination on the camera?

JimLudden

n3wb
Reaction score
Some questions if I may:

Does your TP-Link router have an FTP server active?

Can you also access using FTP on the Mac?
Are you able to add the 'volume9' share as a NAS NetHDD destination on the camera?
Thanks for the info. I had not activated FTP on the router. Doing so at least gets me (on <Test>) to 'no permission to write'. But I have the same credentials on the router FTP configuration as on the camera FTP configuration.
Do I need the \volume9 on Server Address? When I add it the test fails with the simple message "Testing fails".
Bloody documentation is not very complete and has no examples. Groan.
I don't know how to test FTP access to this from my Mac.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> ftp://host

Screenshot 2016-12-22 15.15.41.png

ftp storage does not manage files, when it fills up your storage it will error out if you dont take care of free space your self.

JimLudden

n3wb
Reaction score
Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> ftp://host

View attachment 13323

ftp storage does not manage files, when it fills up your storage it will error out if you dont take care of free space your self.
I can write to the SMB share, but not to the FTP share. Good diagnostic! tnx :)
Now to figure out what is wrong. When I try to add nfs:\\192.168.1.211 I get a message "This file server will not allow any additional users to log on...."
I ejected the shared volumes (one via SMB, one via FTP), remounted the FTP volume, and get the same message. I reboot my router. Then try to connect to that router file share using NFS from my Mac, but get the same '...additional users...' message. I can, however, connect immediately using FTP, but cannot write to the FTP volume on the router from my Mac.

JimLudden

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm. checking to see what is connected to my laptop:
Jims-Air:~ jimludden$ df -H

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
/dev/disk1 120G 103G 17G 86% 1024558 4293942721 0% /
ftp://Share@192.168.1.211 1.1G 1.1G 0B 100% 0 0 100% /Volumes/192.168.1.211-5

The FTP share appears totally full. No wonder I can't write (or maybe that is the result of not having write permission?). I checked and the router-server requires authentication, which the Mac also requires when it connects. But the FTP share still appears 100% used. And it looks much smaller than it is (16GB).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ftp mounts dont support remote diskspace reporting I am pretty sure; its probably a permissions issue on the ftp server side