connect dvr to record in bi

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a issue here ... i am a new blue iris owner. I have 8 cameras connected to my dvr and they are runing fine in the bi software...but... the cameras in the bi software is recording to my c drive and not my dvr 1 tb drive... can someone please help me with this issue. all cameras are up and running but recording to wrong hard drive...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris can't save video to a hard drive that is in your DVR. You could probably take the hard drive out of the DVR and connect it to the PC running Blue Iris.

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
so how would that work the dvr has all the cameras connected to it? sorry I'm a newbie trying to learn

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your PC has an expansion slot for a 3.5" hard drive I'd buy a new 1.0 TB drive (a WD # WD10PURZ made for surveillance) on amazon for $57.
You power supply will likely have a SATA power connector but you'll need a SATA data cable from the drive to the motherboard. Put that in your BI server PC, format and set up as 'D' drive.

If you have never done something like this I suggest you get help from someone qualified. It's really not that difficult but there are procedures for working inside a PC to prevent static damage, especially with the drier air of cooler weather now that provides the best conditions for damage from static electricity.

Create a folder on the new D drive named 'Blue Iris' and inside that folder create 2 more folders named 'New' and 'Storage'.
In BI, go to 'Settings', then 'Clips & Archiving', under 'Folders' click on 'New', over to the right click on the browse box with the 3 dots and locate your desired folder on D drive ( path would be "d:\Blue Iris\New') then click on 'OK'.
Do the same to redirect writing to 'Storage' from C drive to the new D drive.

I would disable recording to the DVR's drive and use only Blue Iris but that's your call. I have set several up both ways. You may consider leaving the DVR recording until you are satisfied with how BI is recording (motion, alerts, schedule, etc.) then disable the DVR's recording.

Lastly, you could use an external USB drive if your PC has no room but they are notorious for disconnecting, etc. If at all possible go with the internal drive I suggested or a larger one if desired.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
WOW! Thanks Tony, for that plain and simple to do information. .. I can do that along with more internal memory this week.
Thank you Tony