connect wifi cameras to NVR 1000 meters away

Mariofs

n3wb
Reaction score
hi

I wanted to ask help an installation

The project is to connect 5 motorized wifi cameras to a dahua wifi recorder NVR that is a kilometer away where I have access to a switch that has internet access.

Connect the 5 cameras to an access point (the furthest camera is 100 meters from the access point) and from there send the signal with a directional antenna to the NVR that is 1000 meters away. The NVR has wifi antennas. and then connect the NVR to the switch that has internet access.

Can this configuration be done?

i attach a graphic.

thanks

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck with five cameras on one AP. WiFi is not designed for the constant high load of video surveillance. It is not the same as streaming a movie on WiFi because there is no buffering, the streams are constant. The result is dropped packets and retries with the end result being broadcast storms that take the WiFi network down. You might get away with two APs and use different channels for three cameras on one AP and another channel for the other two on the other AP, but even then you'll see dropouts. WiFi and surveillance cameras are mutually exclusive terms.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with @sebastiantombs . Depending on the resolution for the 5 cameras and their distances to the AP (the one at 100m is going to cause problems. It will need its own AP), it may take a couple/few APs. You can easily span the 1km distance between sites using Ubiquity NanoBeams but you will have to make sure you mount them high enough to clear all obstacles and take into account the Fresnel zone. Use the map tool here: Ubiquity Map Configurator

If the wifi cameras aren't already bought, I'd purchase ethernet cameras instead. It will make this entire project much easier to manage and a lot simpler to maintain.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. Someone tested this once and after 4 cameras, the wifi was unusable...

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

You would need a high end option as @biggen suggests if you are going the wifi route.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
im pushing an Amcrest dvr across the Ubiquiti Nano's to a switch to Bi computer. total copper lengths are about 250 ft. plus a good 400 feet over the airwaves, and it's less than a second off the hard wired cams on display.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited: