connecting rj45 cables

Sfrazi

n3wb
Reaction score
Our external cctv swann camera stopped working as water got inside the network cable wire (RJ45 female port)
To fix this I thought I would remove the female port from the swann camera to expose the wiring and then connect to a female port of a spare cat6e cable(8 wires + one drain wire).

However, the swann wiring seems to be completely different to what I was expecting. It has 6 wires of the following colours, does anyone know how I would connect this to the cat6e network cable?

swann colors:
orange
orange/white
green
green/white
grey
purple

the cat 6e cable colors(8 wires + drain):
orange + orange/white
green + green/white
brown +brown/white
blue + blue/white
+ drain

Thanks

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Our external cctv swann camera stopped working as water got inside the network cable wire (RJ45 female port)
To fix this I thought I would remove the female port from the swann camera to expose the wiring and then connect to a female port of a spare cat6e cable(8 wires + one drain wire).

However, the swann wiring seems to be completely different to what I was expecting. It has 6 wires of the following colours, does anyone know how I would connect this to the cat6e network cable?

swann colors:
orange
orange/white
green
green/white
grey
purple

the cat 6e cable colors(8 wires + drain):
orange + orange/white
green + green/white
brown +brown/white
blue + blue/white
+ drain

Thanks
Use a keystone jack to replace the female adapter.

and Check this thread for pin out info (one of the last posts contains final answer and pic):
Swann NHD-806 PoE IP Cam Wiring Pin Out (damaged RJ45 camera socket)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a multimeter put it in continuity mode and strip the wires on the cut off end; then see what color goes to what pin

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you strip a bit more of the jacket off to hopefully reveal twisted pairs in the swann cable?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you strip a bit more of the jacket off to hopefully reveal twisted pairs in the swann cable?
You won't find any...

Swann and Garmin (in GPS domes) are two specific manufactures I personally know of that use non standard color cabling. It's not magically going to change half way through the cable. This isn't anything new or uncommon for none standard cable coloring to be used. Also it is RARE (and I would guess almost unlikely to ever occure) that a cable will change half way though. That would mean a splice would be placed somewhere in the cable creating a weak point and possible failure point.

Also I linked to pin out coloring in first reply.

As for the easiest solution - it has been covered in mult threads.

Cut the connector off a few inches back leaving yourself room to strip back each cable, then connect a cable toner and tone to each pin.

However, most people don't think it though and just cut the connector flush off at the back.

Last edited: