Connecting RS485-camera to RJ45

HarriT

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a Hikvision NVR that has RJ45 connectors. Is there any way to connect my ptz-camera, that has RS485 and bnc-connectors, to my NVR. I allready bought a pair of passive video baluns if i could build something from those. So i know whitch wires come from baluns RJ45-port and maybe i could build a wire to my NVR.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It *could* be done, but not in the way you're expecting.

In simple terms... You've got an analog camera (BNC) that you're wanting to connect to a digital recorder (RJ45). The baluns convert the analog signal from one wire type (BNC) to another. The RS-485 connection would be for controlling the PTZ functions of the camera. In IP cameras this signal is embedded in the digital signal coming over the RJ45.

When I said it could be done, I was referring to the idea that you could take the analog signal and add a stand-alone encoder that would somewhat convert your camera to an IP one, but it still would have the PTZ control on the RS-485 line.

I'm not familiar with all of the existing products and maybe somebody has built device to do what you want, but I bet it'd be a few hundred dollars at best. Bottom line, doubtful.

Edit:
I didn't consider that you might have a hybrid NVR (analog and digital) which would make this more possible.