Connecting to camera using VPN ?

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have setup my router to create a OpenVPN connection and installed the OpenVPN app on my Andriod phone. This part works just perfect.

Now I want to see my cameras using the iVMS-4500 app on my phone, while I'm on the OpenVPN connection. But I don't know what information to enter into the app.

I can choose between HiDDNS - IP/Domain - IP Server, but I think I have to use IP/Domain.

When I select IP/Domain, I enter the IP of my camera (10.0.0.100) in the adresse field, and the portnumber in the port field, and then username and password. But it does not work.

Anyone who can help me ?

- Kim -

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do you need a VPN? Asking because you could just setup a dynamic dns account in your router instead, and use the domain address in your hikvision app and not need the use of a VPN app.

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could not get the dynamic dns to work, but the VPN works just fine.

Now I just need to connect my app to my camera.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then you just need to enter the IP address of the camera but make sure it's on the same network you connected into via the vpn.

Also, port number should be default which is 8000.

Make your you are not entering IP with port number I.e 192.168.1.100:8000

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's what I'm doing, but I just can't get it to work.

I have to work some more with it :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should be the exact same settings you use on your home WiFi..

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an Asus app on my phone, which I use to connect to my router with, while on my WiFi. It can't connect either when on the VPN connection. So I guess it must be a problem with the VPN connection or my router.

But the VPN connection from my phone to my router, seems to be OK.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your phone is able to reach your VPN server from the outside with its mobile connection.. its typically pretty hard to test VPN locally on a device that can only connect to the LAN.. got to take it to starbux and try.

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
English is not my native language, and some times I miss the point, like I do right now.

".. its typically pretty hard to test VPN locally on a device that can only connect to the LAN" - I don't get this part of your answer.

Right now I'm miles away from my router and can make a VPN connection to my router from my phone, so far so good - but still no access to my camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your camera's should be reachable with there internal IP's, ie: 192.168.x.x

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know, but no connection.

Using my phone on the wifi connected to my router works fine, when using the iVMS-4500 app - so the settings in the app is fine.

When turn on VPN connection on my phone and looking inside the router, I can see that my phone is connected to the router using VPN. Also fine.

But still no access to my camera when on the VPN connection.

My camera is on 10.0.0.100 and my phone is on 10.8.0.2 when using the VPN - could it be the problem ?

Another thing - is there a setting in the phone, that should allow the iVMS-4500 app to use the VPN connection ? I think it is still using the normal data connetion and not the VPN line.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Configure your VPN Client IP's to be on the same subnet as your cameras, and configure the VPN Server/Clients to route all data over VPN..

When you have VPN Enabled and routing all traffic, you should be able to go to whatismyipaddress.com and see your home's WAN IP..

This will also secure all your data when your on a public, unencrypted WiFi.. like at a coffee shop.

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now it seems to me that my OpenVPN works just fine - but no connecting to my camera.

I'm on a wifi miles away from home with my Mac Book. When I look at my IP I got my home's wan IP. When i enter 10.0.0.1 I get access to my router.

My Mac book is on 10.1.0.6, my camera is on 10.0.0.100

When I open iVMS-4200 on my Mac book, there is no connection with my camera. When I try to ping my camera on 10.0.0.100 there is no response.

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why do you need a VPN? Asking because you could just setup a dynamic dns account in your router instead, and use the domain address in your hikvision app and not need the use of a VPN app.
I don't see how the ddns would provide any security at all.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On open VPN settings, look at TAP and TUN. TUN will get you access to local devices.