Connection problem to synology nas

Niren

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have a problem with one off my Hikvision camera's. All my internal camera's records fine but the external camera (that uses the internet connection off my neighbour) will not save video to my synology NAS. The strange thing about it that the triggered photo alarm shots with the same settings do saves true FTP with no problems. But the video records doens't.

When I test the connection in the FTP network settings in the camera it says "Connection ok". But in the NAS settings in the camera it says "Network connection faild" and it also don't sees the hard drive.

I have opent the FTP port in my router and set the rights in the shared folder on my Synology nas but still no succes.

When I look in the NAS logfile there is also no registration off the failed connection.

Anyone has this problem before?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
that uses the internet connection off my neighbour)
So you must open up your NAS to inbound internet?
Very bad idea - especially with FTP (no security) and NFS (no security).
We could run a sweep on how long it takes for the NAS to get pwned.

Niren

n3wb
Reaction score
Synology NAS is not FTP, it's NFS.
FTP will not save video recording, only pictures.
I have 2 options (see picture), I tought second option is FTP?

So you must open up your NAS to inbound internet?
Very bad idea - especially with FTP (no security) and NFS (no security).
We could run a sweep on how long it takes for the NAS to get pwned.
Yes that's right. The Nas is only in use for camera recordings so I don't have a problem with people seeing me entering my house ;p

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that's right. The Nas is only in use for camera recordings so I don't have a problem with people seeing me entering my house ;p
Maybe so, but presumably it's on your house network, so there is nothing at all of value on your whole network that a compromised NAS could access or grab?
On-line shopping, family photos, on-line banking, personal information etc etc.

Niren

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe so, but presumably it's on your house network, so there is nothing at all of value on your whole network that a compromised NAS could access or grab?
On-line shopping, family photos, on-line banking, personal information etc etc.
Hmm there you have a point. Never tought further as the NAS... So what is the best alternatif? Put a SD-card in the camera? I don't have any expirience with that, does that works at all?

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back to your cam and NAS connection...your cam is connected to your neighbours internet. But in the settings you tell the cam to record on a NAS that's on your LAN. The cam and NAS are not on the same LAN but you tell the cam to record to 192.168.2.7
The cam can't find the NAS on 192.168.2.7 on your neighbours network ;)

Niren

n3wb
Reaction score
Back to your cam and NAS connection...your cam is connected to your neighbours internet. But in the settings you tell the cam to record on a NAS that's on your LAN. The cam and NAS are not on the same LAN but you tell the cam to record to 192.168.2.7
The cam can't find the NAS on 192.168.2.7 on your neighbours network ;)
The image is from a other camera just to show that I have a NFS and a other option for record. So the screenshot is from a camera in my network, not de neighbours. Maar als je kroegtijgertje heet kan ik vast ook nederlands typen ;p