Continuous AND Motion Trigger setting Question

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to set my cameras to record 24/7 but also provide me with recording clips of triggered motion like others have recommended to do on this site.

I have 2 questions about the record video settings for this.

1) In the help file it describes the "Triggered + Continuous" setting, which sounds like what I want but is not an option to select.
In the settings there is a "Triggered + Continuous EACH" setting option though but it is not mentioned in the help file.

This setting however require me to set something for the "X min. for X sec" boxes.

Trig_cont.png

I assume this is the setting I would want for what I want to do, right?
However, I do not understand how to set these two fields for what I want.

Could someone tell me if this is the correct selection and if so, what would I set the X min. for X sec. selections to for this?

2) Under the Trigger tab there is "Motion Sensor" and "Camera's digital input or motion" check boxes.
Help file says, "Use the option for Trigger using camera's digital input or motion if your camera has a digital input line and/or internal motion detection and you would like to use that to trigger the camera in Blue Iris. Support for this feature has been added for many popular camera models."

Is it ok to use both of these together? They cam both be selected....Wondering if this would increase the possibility of motion detection or maybe cause more false triggers.
It also notes "...many popular cameras added".
Since my specific camera is not listed as a selection when doing setup,(the Dahua 5231-Z) should I conclude this may not work anyway? Should I just not mess with it?

Thanks!

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not the same system, I use QNAP SS on my NAS, BUT I have them both 'ticked' and a such it creates 2 folders of data one the continuous stream and the other the motion detection.

I am of the opinion that you should check what the hell you want and test and learn, what's to lose? some data storage, a little power? a little (!) time?

Can you not set the camera option as ONVIF and test it as that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nbstl68
Do not use triggered + continuous. It does NOT do what you want. Reread the help file. It serves a totally different function.
Simply set it to continuous ONLY. Then setup motion detection. You will get the result you want.
Do not use the cameras motion detection...blue iris is much more flexible than your cameras. It would work though and you can use both together..you need to use the find inspect button to pull the onvif profile. But this is completely unnecessary and will introduce problems with false alerts.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great. Thanks @fenderman.
I do not understand the help file description of the "Triggered + Continuous (EACH)" or the "periodic "each" options and assumed from the help file "Continuous was only just that".

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone help clarify here?

I set continuous - and sure it records.... But even when triggered, no clips "stack up" on the right hand side of the screen...

There's no way for me to easily go look and browse through the motion events that should have triggered.

If I set to trigger only, it does properly record clips that show up on the right.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're using continuous and you also want to receive alerts check the option "Create Alert list images when triggered".

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I want video clips to show up on the right pane... I assumed that would just write snapshot jpgs?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like @fenderman said, don't use triggered + continuous.

I have played around for hours with these setting and have never fully gotten what I wanted out of them. Trust me, stick to "continuous". If you want a separate clip list for when a camera gets triggered and have it's very own folder rules than clone the camera and set it's record setting to "when triggered". This way the "trigger" camera can have it's own zones and sensitivity settings and folder rules.