Continuous Recording Question

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been asked.
I use trigger to record. Ive been missing too much so I want to change to Continuous recording, I don't know what settings to turn off or on. I know I can change it from trigger to continuous. But what do I set the combine or cut video each to?
Do I turn off pre buffer and under trigger turn off objects detection?

Any settings under settings then clips I need to change?
Im trying to get at least 3 weeks of footage before it moves the footage to storage for 20 days. Both hard drives at 2TB WD Purples. So I should have space.

When playing back footage on IOS app all I do is click cameras and it shows the footage. But changing it to continuous will it be the same way to view the footage?

TheDank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey @IDLE, that's good that you're going to continuous, I think it's the best way to go, since motion detection isn't always perfect.

• Change the Video option from "When Triggered" to "Continuous", as you've probably done.
  • I like to keep the Pre-trigger video buffer the same as whatever you had it, that when you play an alert, it will still start a couple seconds before the trigger. Otherwise you might find yourself having to rewind if the trigger isn't soon enough. You won't lose the video, but it's an extra step to have to rewind then play again.
  • I also like to Cut the videos, I use 1 hour, it just seems like a good way to organize it and keeps the files reasonably sized. I haven't found any disadvantages, but if you do (or if anyone has any suggestions), you can easily change it later.
  • If you prefer to limit the size of your clips instead of the duration, then you can set that size in the combine/cut to be whatever you want. I just leave it at a size that's larger than required for my 1-hour clips. 4GB was the default I think which is big enough, so I don't bother to change it.
Re sizes and durations, you can calculate the size needed by multiplying your camera's bitrate by the duration. As others have pointed out in other threads, a cool feature of chrome is to enter "4192 kbps * 1 hour" in the address bar and it will do the math for you and even give you the answer in useful units. In this example, 1.8864 gigabytes. So the default of 4GB is just fine. It will cut your clips at whichever of the limits it hits first, which in my case is the duration.

Re how many days you can get, you can use the same chrome trick as above, enter for example "4192 kbps * 21 days" and it will give you the answer of 951 GB. So for example, one camera at 4 Mbps will need just under 1GB to store 3 weeks of continuous video.

And if you don't use chrome, you can get the results from a calculator of course, but chrome is fun and does the units conversions for you. :)

settings.jpg

Last edited:

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @IDLE, that's good that you're going to continuous, I think it's the best way to go, since motion detection isn't always perfect.

• Change the Video option from "When Triggered" to "Continuous", as you've probably done.
  • I like to keep the Pre-trigger video buffer the same as whatever you had it, that when you play an alert, it will still start a couple seconds before the trigger. Otherwise you might find yourself having to rewind if the trigger isn't soon enough. You won't lose the video, but it's an extra step to have to rewind then play again.
  • I also like to Cut the videos, I use 1 hour, it just seems like a good way to organize it and keeps the files reasonably sized. I haven't found any disadvantages, but if you do (or if anyone has any suggestions), you can easily change it later.
  • If you prefer to limit the size of your clips instead of the duration, then you can set that size in the combine/cut to be whatever you want. I just leave it at a size that's larger than required for my 1-hour clips. 4GB was the default I think which is big enough, so I don't bother to change it.
Re sizes and durations, you can calculate the size needed by multiplying your camera's bitrate by the duration. As others have pointed out in other threads, a cool feature of chrome is to enter "4192 kbps * 1 hour" in the address bar and it will do the math for you and even give you the answer in useful units. In this example, 1.8864 gigabytes. So the default of 4GB is just fine. It will cut your clips at whichever of the limits it hits first, which in my case is the duration.

Re how many days you can get, you can use the same chrome trick as above, enter for example "4192 kbps * 21 days" and it will give you the answer of 951 GB. So for example, one camera at 4 Mbps will need just under 1GB to store 3 weeks of continuous video.

And if you don't use chrome, you can get the results from a calculator of course, but chrome is fun and does the units conversions for you. :)

View attachment 61184
Thank you so much. I appreciate this. I will try all that out.

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 61184
Do you change anything under trigger under the camera settings? Do I keep motion sensor checked?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally if you are missing too much its a result of setting the motion detection thresholds too high and having long make times and short break times. If you err on the side of too many triggers you wont have this problem. An alternative is recording the substream 24/7 and setting the main stream to be super sensitive.

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally if you are missing too much its a result of setting the motion detection thresholds too high and having long make times and short break times. If you err on the side of too many triggers you wont have this problem. An alternative is recording the substream 24/7 and setting the main stream to be super sensitive.
It’s not missing too much Per se. if the camera isn’t triggered it won’t record. One camera in particular will trigger when you walk into the porch but I want to see what’s outside the porch. Another camera out side doesn’t trigger the best at night due to the IR glare and I can’t change the camera placement. Then the inside cameras miss footage if the trigger ends and no new motion. I had the make time at 2 seconds and the record at 60 seconds. I would miss a lot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not missing too much Per se. if the camera isn’t triggered it won’t record. One camera in particular will trigger when you walk into the porch but I want to see what’s outside the porch. Another camera out side doesn’t trigger the best at night due to the IR glare and I can’t change the camera placement. Then the inside cameras miss footage if the trigger ends and no new motion. I had the make time at 2 seconds and the record at 60 seconds. I would miss a lot.
A make time if 2 seconds is way too long. That explains why you missed lots of motion. Something like 0.5 - 0.7 is more reasonable. You can even set it lower.

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A make time if 2 seconds is way too long. That explains why you missed lots of motion. Something like 0.5 - 0.7 is more reasonable. You can even set it lower.
I’m sorry I said the wrong thing. .8 is what it’s set at. The pre buffer is 2.0

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sorry I said the wrong thing. .8 is what it’s set at. The pre buffer is 2.0
There are lots of motion detection settings. you can play with them to make them more sensitive. For example using edge vector will result in less triggers than using simple.
The point is, if you are fine with just a few days of recording then just leave it on continuous. If you want more than that set your motion settings more sensitive and record the substream 24.7

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are lots of motion detection settings. you can play with them to make them more sensitive. For example using edge vector will result in less triggers than using simple.
The point is, if you are fine with just a few days of recording then just leave it on continuous. If you want more than that set your motion settings more sensitive and record the substream 24.7
Could you explain more on how to record sub stream?

TheDank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

tai4de2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like to keep the Pre-trigger video buffer the same as whatever you had it, that when you play an alert, it will still start a couple seconds before the trigger. Otherwise you might find yourself having to rewind if the trigger isn't soon enough. You won't lose the video, but it's an extra step to have to rewind then play again.
From the manual:
"When triggered. Video is only recorded when the camera is in a triggered state. This can greatly save on storage space over continuous recording. The pre-trigger video buffer applies only to this type of video recording."

TheDank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...The pre-trigger video buffer applies only to this type of video recording
Interesting. I have both a BI4 (4.7.2.0) and a BI5 (5.2.6.1) setup.
The BI4 Help doesn't have that last sentence, but the BI5 Help does.

I know that in BI4, the pre-trigger video buffer DEFinitely affects alerts with continuous recording, having the effect that when you double-click on an alert to play it, the playback will begin at that many seconds prior to the trigger. I just confirmed this by cloning a camera, leaving all the settings the same, except I increased the pre-trigger by 10 seconds in the new camera. When there was a trigger, the alert from the new camera began playback 10 seconds earlier than the original camera.

I was surprised that this behavior changed in BI5, so I tried it just now, just for fun. BI5 (5.2.6.1) actually behaves the same as BI4 in this regard. That is, playback of an alert begins the number of seconds before the trigger as specified by the pre-trigger video buffer. So that last sentence in the BI5 help can be misleading.

Of course, with continuous recording, the pre-trigger buffer doesn't affect the recording itself. Maybe that's what he meant when he added that sentence to the Help.

StratRider

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was hoping that this would actually place a mark on the timeline a few seconds before the trigger, but it has no effect on mine.
I just do a timeline review jumping to the next trigger every morning. The pre-trigger I believe is just for the stored clips/alerts.

TheDank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was hoping that this would actually place a mark on the timeline a few seconds before the trigger, but it has no effect on mine.
I just do a timeline review jumping to the next trigger every morning. The pre-trigger I believe is just for the stored clips/alerts.
Hi @StratRider, Yah, the marks on the timeline are the actual moments of the triggers themselves. The pre-trigger buffer doesn't affect the timeline marks, as you said. BTW, it also doesn't affect the timestamps on the alerts in the Alerts list. But it does affect when playback begins when you double-click on an alert in the Alerts list or hit the Next Alert button.

Like you, I like to review my alerts each morning. What I do is scroll my Alerts list down to where I want to start reviewing, usually around midnight is when the foxes start playing around out in the street. I double-click on the first interesting one. Then I use the Next Alert button to quickly jump to the next and next and next alerts. I added Keyboard shortcuts of '[' and ']' for Previous alert and Next alert, which makes skipping through them nice and quick. In both cases, playback begins a couple seconds before the trigger. I use 2.0 seconds.

StratRider

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am going to have to play with that a little bit but I've gotten used to seeing anything on the street with all of the cams at once but this sounds like a great idea.