control camera motion detection with keypad

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for an office security solution and hoping Blue Iris may be a way to do it. I would like to have a keypad or RFID receiver that could be used to control Blue Iris. Ideally, each user could have a separate keypad code. When they exit the office they enter their code and that triggers the cameras to start looking form motion. I could then set the cameras to record on motion and sound an alarm after motion.

Does anyone know if something like this exists? Perhaps it would require an Arduino integration?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking for an office security solution and hoping Blue Iris may be a way to do it. I would like to have a keypad or RFID receiver that could be used to control Blue Iris. Ideally, each user could have a separate keypad code. When they exit the office they enter their code and that triggers the cameras to start looking form motion. I could then set the cameras to record on motion and sound an alarm after motion.

Does anyone know if something like this exists? Perhaps it would require an Arduino integration?

Thanks
What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you want a keypad vs arming via a mobile device?

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you want a keypad vs arming via a mobile device?
I have several employees that may need to arm/unarm the system that may not have access to the mobile app. I also think a keypad would be more intuitive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several employees that may need to arm/unarm the system that may not have access to the mobile app. I also think a keypad would be more intuitive.
Do you have an alarm system? there are several posts of users integrating alarms with blue iris. Alternatively if they leave about the same time every day, simply set the schedule to turn alerts on 20-30 minuets later..

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have an alarm system? there are several posts of users integrating alarms with blue iris. Alternatively if they leave about the same time every day, simply set the schedule to turn alerts on 20-30 minuets later..
Nope, no alarm system. I have contemplated making an Arduino based alarm, but we were hoping the cameras with Blue Iris would work similar to an alarm system by sounding an alarm when it sees motion.

Scheduling wouldn't work as our employees work random hours at times.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, no alarm system. I have contemplated making an Arduino based alarm, but we were hoping the cameras with Blue Iris would work similar to an alarm system by sounding an alarm when it sees motion.

Scheduling wouldn't work as our employees work random hours at times.
You cannot rely on camera pixel based motion detection...you can get it pretty reliable (by masking and setting higher threasholds) but if you want a no false alarm setup you will need PIR sensors...either in the camera or separate and integrated into blue iris with something like a sealevel 120e

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The other day I mounted some wireless numpads to my walls and connected them to raspberry pi computers to control my z-wave devices. Just pointing out you wouldn't necessarily need to work with Arduino if you go the DIY route. Honestly I should have just bought some cheap Android tablets for this. It would have been cheaper, easier to set up, and much more flexible.