Convert analog camera to IP

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just recently switched to IP cameras. I have a couple of the old analog cameras (LOFTEK® Naja-6H 1/3" HDIS CCD 600TVLines (High Qaulity Chip, is equal to 1000TVL) Bullet CCTV Camera LED Array Night Vision Security Outdoor Surveillance Video Camera) which are excellent for night time. Is there any way to convert them to use IP and Blue Iris?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you still have the old DVR that you used to record them with? If so, plug that DVR into your network and use Blue Iris to read the digital streams from the old DVR. There are analog to IP converter out there but there isn't much sense if you can easily buy a new cheap IP camera from China for under $35 shipped. That is unless your old analog cameras are something special.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured that would be what I would hear. Yes, I still have the DVR up and running and it is connected to my network. So I add it the same way you add a camera or is there a different setup?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Add it the same way but choose stream 4 for cam 4, stream 1 for cam 1, etc. You might even find the name of your dvr in the listing. There's no point paying for something your dvr already does if BI can read 'em from there.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not having much luck. When you say change the stream to 4, do you mean under the video section where it has the drop down box for camera? On the config screen I can click on the ip address and a web page opens and I can see all 4 cameras in one pane but BI does not. I just sent a email to Ken.

This is what I tried.

DVR 1.jpg

DVR 2.jpg

DVR 3.jpg

DVR 4.jpg

In the second image if I click on the IP address a web page opens and when I click OK this is what I get, so I know name and pw is correct.

DVR 5.jpg

DVR 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Select Add New Camera from the main screen. Network IP Camera Configuration window should pop up. Select Make/Model of your DVR (might have to try a bunch if it's a generic). Enter all of the ports, password etc. Under the word video (middle left of the screen) there should be a box labelled "Camera" and a number to the right of it, probably a 1. That should select which camera from the dvr to display. This is from a BI 3 screen but I'm not near something running BI4 to check but it should be similar if not exact.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
From my experience... The only problem with doing this with older DVRs (like the ones I own) is that, while streaming one cam from it is fine, by the time you get to four cams, it really bogs the DVR down and the FPS of all four cams becomes horrible.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Select Add New Camera from the main screen. Network IP Camera Configuration window should pop up. Select Make/Model of your DVR (might have to try a bunch if it's a generic). Enter all of the ports, password etc. Under the word video (middle left of the screen) there should be a box labelled "Camera" and a number to the right of it, probably a 1. That should select which camera from the dvr to display. This is from a BI 3 screen but I'm not near something running BI4 to check but it should be similar if not exact.
Thanks, I'll get back to it in a couple of hours.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From my experience... The only problem with doing this with older DVRs (like the ones I own) is that, while streaming one cam from it is fine, by the time you get to four cams, it really bogs the DVR down and the FPS of all four cams becomes horrible.
Thanks, it is only temp till I get the coins to get new cams, and pull the new wires.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't they make a balun to run IP over coax? Not sure how well they work.
They make a balun to use cat5e in place of the coax but still connects to the dvr. Since there is no mac address in the cam it cannot be used on the lan without adding some sort of converter which costs as much as a cam. As @Kawboy12R said, "There are analog to IP converter out there but there isn't much sense if you can easily buy a new cheap IP camera from China for under $35 shipped."

Last edited by a moderator:

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was referring to running the replacement IP cams over coax in the event you can not easily run new cable. In my building, I had 4 locations wired for analog because IP cameras weren't affordable yet. No way I could internally run new cable. I'd like to replace the analogs and gt rid of the DVR. If only the day was 48 hours long!

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to have to run new cables because the POE switch is on the second floor with the BI server and the DVR is on the first floor. I will have a clear shot running the cables so that part is not a problem. Thanks.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried many different settings but no go. I'm confused about port settings, it calls for RTSP port 554, Control port 67, and Data port 68. Not sure where to enter Control and Data port info. Still waiting for Ken to get back to me. Great weather today so I'm off to the real world. :)

Promod117

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried many different settings but no go. I'm confused about port settings, it calls for RTSP port 554, Control port 67, and Data port 68. Not sure where to enter Control and Data port info. Still waiting for Ken to get back to me. Great weather today so I'm off to the real world. :)
I had difficulty getting mine to work correctly, too. I think Fenderman helped me with the correct parameters.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It look like connecting my Aposonic A-S0802R22 DVR to Blue Iris is a no go. The A-S0802R22 does not support RTSP. Bummer.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your right, I looked at them before. I'll just keep both systems running until I get all the cams replaced. Thanks for your help.