convert wired IP cameras to wireless

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras that are analog with siamese cable running to them that I need to replace with IP cameras. The cameras are in those old CCTV box camera housings mounted on side of the building. I was thinking of using an engenius ENGENS200 access point/bridge and sliding it under the camera in the box or on top if it fits. Other option is to buy one of those coaxial to ethernet adapters and put an IP box camera in there.

Running new ethernet cable is not going to be an easy option due to construction of hotel. It is on the outside of a staircase and the nearest attic is of course on the 4th floor. When I go to the property again I will look and see if I can trace the wire down with my probe and see if it's running with an easier to get method.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been using these with success for IP cameras that are impossible to run a wire to. They are dual band and very easy to set up. You plug it into your PC, enter the wifi password and your done. Just make sure where you want to install your camera, you have a strong wifi signal. Engenius is an excellent brand. I have the en500 set up as a point to point bridge about 250 feet away from each other for a 2mp IP ptz and it works as if it's plugged directly into my router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1725971

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vector I bought one of those on amazon. I will try it out when I go to a property next week to install some cameras.

Winem4n

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi pal251, did you get the chance to try the wireless adapter?

I want to install a camera in my backyard but I can’t run an ethernet cable. I’m looking at 2 solutions: convert my IP camera to a wireless camera or plug the camera to a powerline adapter along with a 12v adapter to power the camera.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used a pair of the ENH500 for a point to point link and they worked great. Here is a load test I did on them. I had the link between the house I was living in and the one I was building a couple hundred feet away. They were used to feed 5-9 cameras over a couple years. Towards the end, it was doing 45-60mbps 24x7x365 without any issues. After we moved, we had issues getting our new internet services installed at the new house and we ran our internet across the same link and via the old house. Both my wife and I work from home and we could not tell that it was over wireless, no issues.

05302013ext-test.pngextwireless97.png

They can handle a lot of traffic. I also have the ENH202 for my wireless in the house, works great. I will be updating it to one of the internal smoke detector types in their business line very soon.

You might be better off trying to use the old cable as a fish tape and pull the ethernet with it. Hopefully, it was in conduit.

Winem4n

n3wb
Reaction score
After looking through it, I can’t go wireless. I use the Lorex DVR and I need the cam feed to go directly to the unit. Unless I miss something, the only thing I can see is using a powerline adapter but will that work ?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it's an analog based dvr you can't go wireless without a lot more work. Better off buying ip camera and converting it to wireless. Have not had chance to try adapter and I'm sure old cable is not in conduit. I bought two pairs of dualcomm coax to ethernet adapters and they worked real well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Winem4n

n3wb
Reaction score
They are not analog, the cams are IP and the DVR provide power (PoE). One thing I can do is to try the powerline adapter and return it if it is not functioning.