coplications in portable game cam rig setup

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i am planning on making my camera (https://goo.gl/photos/BstpbGsm6A8BRpbF8) a portable game cam via wifi. I have a 36v cusman ( https://goo.gl/photos/6cFNZEqp5utwLMFUA ) that i have made a mount for and plan on using a inverter to power the camera . I recently had the camera up and working with Blue Iris and CMS with no problems.

Yesterday i began wiring my 36v cushman to power the camera. In order to be able to remain using the ability of moving the cushman i needed to keep it wired in series for 36v. I began by wiring/installing a Converter Voltage Reducer Regulator 36V Step Down to12V 10A 120W (HOT Waterproof Converter Voltage Reducer Regulator 36V Step Down to12V 10A 120W | eBay).

I then wired that voltage reducer into my harbor freight inverter which i bought several years ago (https://goo.gl/photos/KPT2Rdb2XUutSVGz8). Not realizing that my batteries needed charged i plugged the camera into it. The camera went thru it's starting cycle by physically rotating etc. Nevertheless i was completely in capable of connecting to it via wifi.

Like a idiot i then thought that maybe the batteries needed charged and plugged in my onboard battery charger. Once again, i am using three deep cycle 12v batteries with a on board charger all of which came from my boat.

i then brought my laptop to it and connected it directly to my laptop via ethernet. I had absolutely no luck finding it or anything.

I then brought the entire rig, mount and all in to my house and connected the camera to my router via ethernet cable.

using cms i can now find it in a ip search. i can add it to cms. It has changed IP address. Originally it was 192.168.1.10. After having a hard time being able to modify the ip address when i first got it...i was able to change it to 192.168.1.30 which is what i have been using for the last week or so... now it is showing up as 192.168.1.13 and when i attempt to edit device the ip address it will not let me (https://goo.gl/photos/fAdyKrCii22Ub5mt9).

I then went ahead and added it to cms. When i right click on it ....it does not have a option for device config (https://goo.gl/photos/DRerEvdQE75vJJ65A). This was the same problem i had when i first got this camera. I only was able to get passed it by luck or rather unplugging it from the wall and re plugging it in over and over until it worked which was a happy surprise. Nevertheless, i am unsure why i had that problem and now i am back at it again.
If anyone has any ideas of what i should do to get this camera back in WIFI operating mode...let me know. thank you.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. I was able to get the camera going. i just kept unplugging the camera from the wall and plugging it back in and searching for ip addresses.... eventually i came up with three of the same thing. two out of three were completely functional. I chose the first one and went with it. now it all works with a completely different ip address. https://goo.gl/photos/8GxMky3ChNGeM2yR6

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, let me see if I understand this. You are converting the 36vdc to 12vdc and then converting the 12vdc to 110vac. Then converting the 110vac back down to 12vdc to run the camera?

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes. here is the reasoning behind my decision to do this... I used a old extension cord to power the camera when i first got the camera two weeks ago and the IR leds kept shutting off and restarting every 30 to 45 seconds. according to the ebay seller extension cords are not capable of powering the camera correctly. Nevertheless, i am currently using a different extension cord with no problems. The old extension cord is one that i used to charge the batteries on my boat for several years. So this extension cord sat out in the sun several summers in a row. I concluded that this extension cord is bleeding amperage.

not sure if i would be able to maintain the proper amperage for the camera i thought that regulating the power with a inverter would be the way to go. Seeing what you typed made me feel pretty small though hehehehe. maybe i am being an idiot. so basically i need to come up with a cord with a plug on one end to plug into the camera and cut, crimp, and connect straight to the 12vdc? that would actually save batter life seeing how the inverter has two small fans that run consistently and must be draining the batteries.

if you have run yours off of 12vdc please share your setup or if you have any ideas how i should proceed please do not be afraid to tell me what you think i should be doing. I am holding off for a few days due to multiple reasons... so i am no rush to complete the setup and i am at this point kind of nervous about plugging it back in to the inverter...

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never used the brand and model of camera you are using but the name plate you posted says it will run on 12vdc. Your 36vdc to 12vdc step down converter is rated at 10 amps. That is more than enough to run your PTZ camera. This will greatly reduce the current draw on your batteries. I set up remote wildlife cameras using IP cameras for customers. Here is an example. IP Security Camera as a Camera Trap | TRLcam.com

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
very nice. I will be eliminating the 12vdc to 110vac inverter immediately. just have to find a suitable adapter/plug for the power wire. since all the radio shacks seem to have gone out of business in my area i will have to search at the hardware stores. shouldn't be a problem though.

I am curious? how long are your cameras lasting on 12vdc using IR at night etc. I am excited to see how long my 36v to 12v system will last if i set it in or near the woods.

my next challenge will be extending my wifi thru out my very large property. so far i am very impressed how well the wifi works in line of sight situations to my house which has a netgear router on one end of the house and a wifi extender on the other end of the house. I have been able to use this camera approx. 100 yrds from my house even though the router and extender are inside the house.

for fun i will include this short video of my coon problem. these coon are approx. 110 yrds from the camera. https://goo.gl/photos/3Ba6euZPF7kEdTve7

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All the remote camera installations we build are very remote and must be solar powered. They are typically powered by one 150 watt panel, a MPPT charge controller and one deep cycle marine battery. All are linked to the internet using a LTE cell modem. Here is a link to a customers web site with live video from some of our installations. Live | PBT