Copy camera shot to google drive (my camera not have menu) - help

kadkam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My camera DS-2CD2185FWD-IS not have cloud drive menu

I need to create a Google drive folder with only image capture (ex. motion detection).
The folder must always have space (automatically delete old files)

How I can do it?
thanks

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are several ways that may work depending on your setup. Is there a PC on the same LAN as the camera?

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your router allow a mass storage device to be attached and support SMB?
If so, it might be possible to save the images to the NAS and have the PC manage the file retention via a scheduled task.
Another possible lead is Mountain Duck.

kadkam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We must exclude the use of computers, we must think of something between the camera and the internet. For example, I had thought of converting image attachments to gmail into files uploaded to google drive, and it would be a solution, but there would be a lot to do with google script. do you have this or other solutions?

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some suggestions:

Consider using a NAS like QNAP's TS-251B. Point the cameras in Configuration>Storage>Storage Management>Net HDD to save images to the NAS. Then load QNAP's Cloud Drive App on the NAS and connect it to your Google Drive. From there you should be able to sync the files. The app has options for scheduling but I'm not sure it allows automatic deletion of files older than X amount of days. With a little familiarity of Linux you can connect to the NAS via SSH and create a cron job that will manage file retention. Synology's NAS offerings may also be an option.

Using a Raspberry Pi is also an option if you have some experience with Linux. The procedure would be similar to the above at a much lower cost. They are very economical to run 24/7, are wall mountable and easy to conceal if required. If you prefer working with Windows, there are plenty affordable micro PC's available online. Intel's NUC range offers higher spec, mini PC's that I find are reliable but are expensive. Connecting any of these to your LAN with a scheduled script to manage file retention would be a doddle and my preferred solution.

Another possibility is to use a FTP server. If you have a company website your hosting company 'should' already have setup one up for your website. If not, you could use Google Cloud and set one up for free* (read the Terms!). Going the Google Cloud route requires you to install and configure a Linux VM. Either way, the cameras could be configured to save images to the FTP server. Then using one of the many cloud drive management services (some are free provided you don't go over 30GBs a month) you could sync your Google drive with the FTP server. Not sure how you would manage file retention unless you have shell access to the FTP server.

I haven't tested any of the above so some due diligence is needed. Security is also a major factor especially when using third-party cloud services. I plan to test the Google Cloud route in the next few days as I already have a Linux server setup. I'll keep you posted.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kadkam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The first options are last resort, I try to see if I can with the ftp.
Meanwhile I also see that I can create a google scripting gmail> google drive.
Thank you for your support, you were very kind.

comsci

n3wb
Reaction score
You could try the IP Camera FTP service we provide, currently for free:

A method of copying files to a google drive is on the wish list but not currently implemented.