Correct Firmware for DS-2CD1123G0-I ?

GeraldH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a couple of DS-2CD1123G0-I and want to install the latest firmware before I install them.
I was a bit coonfused with the available firmware directories here:

but finally decided that E3 platform thould be the right one, because this contains "1X23G0" in the "E3 platform(2X23G0-IW2 Wi-Fi,1X23G0,2X21G0,2X27G3E)" directory name.
However when I want to update the firmware, the webinterface tells me "The type of upgrade file mismatches".

Where can I find the correct firmware? Thanks in advance!

GeraldH

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: I found the problem. E3 Platform is correct, but there are two firmware versions: IPC and IPCR. The 2CD1123G0 needs the IPCR firmware which was not available for the very latest version.
Once I looked into the folder of the previous version I found two different firmware files and was then able to successfully update with the IPCR download file.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is not broke do not fix it.

If there is not a specific problem you are having that needs to be fixed by the specific upgrade do not you grade the firmware. There are 100s of posts about people who have bricked there cameras trying to upgrade. This is not a PC or Mac, it does not need to be upgraded.

GeraldH

n3wb
Reaction score
I really don't want to have a camera that has known bugs that have already been fixed. Usually, this includes security fixes. Using the latest firmware version is not something that is optional.
Also, I am testing the upgrade process NOW when the cameras are new and can easily be returned instead of later when this can no longer be done. By doing it now I'm learning (and documenting!) how it is done correctly while it can't cause harm, thereby making sure that for future firmware updates the risk is minimal.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms. It's a mindset that assumes (or hopes) that today's realities will continue tomorrow in a tidy, linear and predictable fashion. Pure fantasy. In this sort of culture, you won't find people who proactively take steps to solve problems as they emerge.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My cameras do not have access to the internet, I have not upgrade a camera in over two years. The cameras work to record the info I need. If you are upgrading for security, that is just a bad joke.

Been doing cameras for 5 years, been a forum member for 2 years. You have a lot to learn.

GeraldH

n3wb
Reaction score
I am upgrading the cameras because it is the proper thing to do and because I am not lazy and scared like some other people (you).

Also, you did not say: "If your cameras are on a separate VLAN without access to the internet or other machines, you don't need to upgrade". You said, " you don't need to upgrade, this is not a PC". Which is objectively untrue, those cameras are small Linux machines, not significantly different from a NAS or a PC - all of which get (and need) security upgrade all the time.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have +45 years IT experience the last 5 working in network security for a S&P 500 company. Please go brick your cameras.

GeraldH

n3wb
Reaction score
I have +45 years IT experience the last 5 working in network security for a S&P 500 company. Please go brick your cameras.
Well, at least there is hope then that generational replacement will take take of those misguided beliefs eventually.
I'll take a wild guess regarding the S&P 500 company: Probably Sony.

corby44

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi GeraldH,
You are right. I do the update on my new DS-2CD1123G0-I, for the same reason as you. And I have also a good surprise. With the old firmware, I have to use an old laptop on Window 7 (Grrr..), and Internet Explorer (Grr...), because with my Ubuntu system, and Firefox, I could not use the interface web, from the camera to administrate it. And with the new firmware, it's now OK! So It's always good to get the latest firmware!