Corrupted motion videos in alerts and stored folders

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone
In the past few months I have been noticing periodic issues on both BI ios ap and confirmed on the desktop of alerts and stored videos, wherein i can see the screen shot but when i play them, initially the video comes blank or if it plays, the part that is moving like a car gets corrupted (pixelated, transparent ) and often skips a few seconds or so. I first saw this on the ios app but on playing the exact same alert on the desktop pc that runs BI alone (i looked directly in the pc), found the exact same thing. I went to my drive where the stored folder is and opened the same time from the .BVR file. The same error and skipping occurs.

Interestingly, i tried saving/extracting the video part where there was corruption from BI. When extracting videos, in the window i noticed there are some options. The default mp4 has "reencode to H.264 etc" checked. When i save mp4 with the default, i get the corruption. However when i uncheck it, and save video, the video is clean. However note I am recording on all 6 cams direct to disk.

I have attached a couple of screen shots from videos. The first shows the corruption in the car. The second doesnt (unchecked option for reencode to h.264 during extraction). BTW in the ipcamtalk BI thread on Blue iris video tutorials @Dasstrum on this very forum, on video 2 which is for saving videos, the OP shows the check box on.

In any case, this problem is intermittent and not for all videos. It sometimes affects one camera and other times another. Does not happen with every alert or saved video.

My setup:
6 dahua starlights ipc-hdw5231r-z fed into a switch.
PC: i7-6700, 8 gb ram (dell optiplex recommended in these forums) for BI alone
Win 10 pro.
CPU useage is around 11-15% (have nothing else running..win defender running but no other av product).
OS drive is an SSD, Data recorded to 4 tb purple WD
BI, recording direct to disk

Also there is absolutely no corruption playing videos live on both the pc and ios app. Similarly i can directly log into cameras using NACL plug in and no problems in video. Cameras have been prevented from start from connecting to internet.

I have been scratching my head. It looks like some compression or video processing error but my cameras are recording direct to disk. I have updated to latest versions of BI desktop 4.6.6.1 x 64 and ios app. Also i never had this problem the first 6-8 months where i ran the same 6 cams and BI. I presume there have been many updates in the desktop OS, BI, BI ios app so any of them could have messed up. I added a hard drive tester (HD sentinel) and as of now, dont see any SMART error in the hard drives either.

Thanks for reading and responding to this long message

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
In the past few months I have been noticing periodic issues on both BI ios ap and confirmed on the desktop of alerts and stored videos, wherein i can see the screen shot but when i play them, initially the video comes blank or if it plays, the part that is moving like a car gets corrupted (pixelated, transparent ) and often skips a few seconds or so. I first saw this on the ios app but on playing the exact same alert on the desktop pc that runs BI alone (i looked directly in the pc), found the exact same thing. I went to my drive where the stored folder is and opened the same time from the .BVR file. The same error and skipping occurs.

Interestingly, i tried saving/extracting the video part where there was corruption from BI. When extracting videos, in the window i noticed there are some options. The default mp4 has "reencode to H.264 etc" checked. When i save mp4 with the default, i get the corruption. However when i uncheck it, and save video, the video is clean. However note I am recording on all 6 cams direct to disk.

I have attached a couple of screen shots from videos. The first shows the corruption in the car. The second doesnt (unchecked option for reencode to h.264 during extraction). BTW in the ipcamtalk BI thread on Blue iris video tutorials @Dasstrum on this very forum, on video 2 which is for saving videos, the OP shows the check box on.

In any case, this problem is intermittent and not for all videos. It sometimes affects one camera and other times another. Does not happen with every alert or saved video.

My setup:
6 dahua starlights ipc-hdw5231r-z fed into a switch.
PC: i7-6700, 8 gb ram (dell optiplex recommended in these forums) for BI alone
Win 10 pro.
CPU useage is around 11-15% (have nothing else running..win defender running but no other av product).
OS drive is an SSD, Data recorded to 4 tb purple WD
BI, recording direct to disk

Also there is absolutely no corruption playing videos live on both the pc and ios app. Similarly i can directly log into cameras using NACL plug in and no problems in video. Cameras have been prevented from start from connecting to internet.

I have been scratching my head. It looks like some compression or video processing error but my cameras are recording direct to disk. I have updated to latest versions of BI desktop 4.6.6.1 x 64 and ios app. Also i never had this problem the first 6-8 months where i ran the same 6 cams and BI. I presume there have been many updates in the desktop OS, BI, BI ios app so any of them could have messed up. I added a hard drive tester (HD sentinel) and as of now, dont see any SMART error in the hard drives either.

Thanks for reading and responding to this long message
Post the video settings in the camera itself, ensure you are NOT using smart codec.
match the iframe interval to the fps.
uncheck also bvr in the camera properties video tab

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Post the video settings in the camera itself, ensure you are NOT using smart codec.
match the iframe interval to the fps.
uncheck also bvr in the camera properties video tab
Hi @fenderman, thanks for quick reply.
I hope i am addressing your suggestions. Added a few more including general tab, video from BI, one directly from the NACL as you suggested (i noticed but have not changed this in months that the iframe interval is set to 15. fps to 30. Should i increase the former to 30 or decrease the latter? It is 20 on BI). The smart codec is off. BVR was off as seen on screen shots.

thanks

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman, thanks for quick reply.
I hope i am addressing your suggestions. Added a few more including general tab, video from BI, one directly from the NACL as you suggested (i noticed but have not changed this in months that the iframe interval is set to 15. fps to 30. Should i increase the former to 30 or decrease the latter? It is 20 on BI). The smart codec is off. BVR was off as seen on screen shots.

thanks
in the camera match the iframe interval to the fps- both 15..

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dropped frames...
Thanks, I will watch for the next few days. Changed all my cams directly to 15 both iframe interval and fps. In BI, i noticed I have maximum frame rate at 20 fps. Should I leave it there for now?

Strange that i didnt have these issues for the first 6-8 months.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will watch for the next few days. Changed all my cams directly to 15 both iframe interval and fps. In BI, i noticed I have maximum frame rate at 20 fps. Should I leave it there for now?

Strange that i didnt have these issues for the first 6-8 months.
yes, the max frame rates auto adjusts dont touch it, it should be higher than the fps you set...

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes, the max frame rates auto adjusts dont touch it, it should be higher than the fps you set...
Problem still there. Something else is doing this. I wonder if I should roll back some of the Blueirissoftware versions to test out to say around October 2017.

Could it have anything to do with memory leaks?? I don’t however see any other members mentioning this kind of corruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk