Costco 1080p over coax Lorex ?zoom

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm new at this which I'll prove in a second. I believe I could use some direction here.
My son got the $499 Lorex LHV828 8 cam 1080p over coax from Costco (he and 2 neighbors are thrilled) recently and wants an identifiable view of the end of the driveway and walkway about 80 ft away. I want to get a longer lens for the Lorex LHV2521 camera. It's stated specs are a 3.6mm f2.1 fixed lens for a 1/2.7" sensor. I ordered a 12mm and a 16mm lens for 1/3 sensors (12*0.5) at a minimal price from Amazon to try.
I also received a ?hikvision? varifocal 1080p GW788HDSDI but it only worked in analog (low def) mode on the Lorex DVR, not the 1080p. The stock Lorex output was better than the low def varifocal output at 12mm.

Well ... am I one the right track at all. Suggestions would be appeciated.

Jim

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The GW varifocal you purchased did not work because its an SDI camera...the lorex dvr is CVI, these are different and incompatible hd over coax technologies.

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now that is solid information I needed to know! Thank you. If the 12mm replacement lens above works that should do what we want if I can fit it in the camera. Lorex info says the signal is "MPX" also used by FLIR. I thought it may just be sales talk or a "poison pill" in the design. Would there be any point in trying a HDCVI camera? About all I know to try is to use the OSD system setting and try to change the BAUD, addresses, or password.

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that is solid information I needed to know! Thank you. If the 12mm replacement lens above works that should do what we want if I can fit it in the camera. Lorex info says the signal is "MPX" also used by FLIR. I thought it may just be sales talk or a "poison pill" in the design. Would there be any point in trying a HDCVI camera? About all I know to try is to use the OSD system setting and try to change the BAUD, addresses, or password.

Jim
MPX is lorex's name for hdcvi...try a dahua cvi camera, it should work...by it from a seller that allows returns...

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I may be totally offbase but I think I remember reading somewhere that Hikvision builds Costco's Lorex brand cameras.
Meaning, they are basically the same cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I may be totally offbase but I think I remember reading somewhere that Hikvision builds Costco's Lorex brand cameras.
Meaning, they are basically the same cameras.
That was the older lnr300 systems.. Not anymore, lorex has been purchased by FLIR, they are all dahua..

Sent via Taptalk

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Zoom for the Lorex LHV828.
No need for another camera now. The lenses I picked worked for 80 to 100 ft ID! I got mine from Amazon for < $7 each. Here are their general specs;
IR board lens Product Name: CCTV Lens; Image Format: 1/3"
Mount: 12 * 0.5mm; Focus Length: 16mm, 12mm Aperture: F2.0; Angle of View: 21 Angle Dimension: 14 x 13.4mm(H*D); Color: Black

With 16mm it gives about a 4x zoom on this system and camera. It could read a license plate in daylight at 100 ft and a person filled half of the screen height. Just remove the glue with a drop of carb cleaner, screw out the old lens and screw in the new one until you get focus. I also ordered 12mm and 25mm to experiment more. That 12*.05mm thread is a key requirement.
Update: Received 25mm. It works well to about 150 ft but is 1/8" too long for the lens cover to attach. We will seal it somehow for that much zoom. At 100 ft I can now read the state on license plates! pick a size from stock 3.6 to 16 with no modification.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

xgsound

Young grasshopper
Reaction score