Couple installation questions dealing with POE

thackston

n3wb
Reaction score
So I ran 8 hikvision 2032 cameras in a friends bar. It is hooked up to the nvr. The question I have is he now wants to move the nvr into the basement. I really do not want to run new cables to 8 cameras. What would be the easiest way for me to either extend the cables, or can I consolidate the cameras through a switch and just run one new cable to the nvr downstairs? I understand the networking side, but for some reason the power side is throwing me. I thought about just buying a gigabit switch and an injector. Then run one wire from the switch to the nvr. then run eight to the injectors? and then to the cameras. Can someone help? At a loss and don't want to blow a bunch of his cash.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

thackston

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay. That was kinda the plan. Just didn't want to wire it all up and run a wire to only find out that it was some weird thing that wouldn't network to the nvr. All I could think of is if I bought a 8 port switch and ran eight cameras and then one to the nvr, what is to stop me from turning a 4port nvr into a 32 camera nvr? I assumed software on the nvr side, but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. That was kinda the plan. Just didn't want to wire it all up and run a wire to only find out that it was some weird thing that wouldn't network to the nvr. All I could think of is if I bought a 8 port switch and ran eight cameras and then one to the nvr, what is to stop me from turning a 4port nvr into a 32 camera nvr? I assumed software on the nvr side, but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks.
Yes the firmware will not allow you to add more channels..
Also as far a switches go, I would not use that ebay switch...for two reasons, first its a no name switch...second and more importantly its does not comply with poe standards and while it will power the camera it can damage other devices that you may accidentally attach to it..i would simply go with two of these (note each switch has 4 POE ports)
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429241128&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At least to Finland, shipping is 20$ and Amazon will charge you the customs fee 16$.. so the ebay switch will be much cheaper. Usually eBay has cheaper shipping than Amazon, you should remember this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At least to Finland, shipping is 20$ and Amazon will charge you the customs fee 16$.. so the ebay switch will be much cheaper. Usually eBay has cheaper shipping than Amazon, you should remember this.
I would then look for a name brand switch on ebay..but going with this no name stuff is just asking for trouble..

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep... but often it's the same device, they just put their logo on the device and nice looking package. These are not that complicated devices like for example mobile phones are.

And, Paypal will refund you the money in case of defective device, no need to send back I think. If buying from Aliexpress, then it's not that simple I think.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep... but often it's the same device, they just put their logo on the device and nice looking package. These are not that complicated devices like for example mobile phones are.

And, Paypal will refund you the money in case of defective device, no need to send back I think. If buying from Aliexpress, then it's not that simple I think.
The ebay poe switch is not a standard device...it doesnt comply with the poe standards...it will work, but an issue with a network switch can give you all sorts of problems because the cameras are relying on the switch for power power and data..its not worth the savings, in my opinion...

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good points.. some local store will give a better warranty, too, I think.

thackston

n3wb
Reaction score
Its okay I need the switches before friday and the one on eBay is from china so no chance of that. Plus I need a switch to run internet downstairs also and this will kill 2 birds with one stone. Thanks.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get a POE netgear for half the price.

Last edited by a moderator: