Couple Questions about a New Setup

Reaction score
Greetings!! First post here...
I finally have the opportunity to overhaul my camera system and I would just like some assurance or guidance before pulling the trigger on the hardware.

I currently have one 2MP and two 3MP cameras with PoE injectors along with a couple old Wifi 720p PTZ cams I use occasionally. I use iSpy running on an old Optiplex Core 2 Duo. It seems to work alright, but the computer is pretty much useless for anything else.

My house is having work done so I'll finally be able to run some network cabling. I plan on adding two more 4mp dome cameras and running everything to an 8 port PoE switch. I have my eye on a refurb HP Prodesk i5-4570 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCGW85X/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I1QEYLOVJ3PJ) and a WD Purple 4TB HDD. This will be a dedicated machine running 24/7.

I'd also like to record/loop constantly. Will doing so put too much strain on the computer or network?

Thanks for all the help! This is a great forum!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings!! First post here...
I finally have the opportunity to overhaul my camera system and I would just like some assurance or guidance before pulling the trigger on the hardware.

I currently have one 2MP and two 3MP cameras with PoE injectors along with a couple old Wifi 720p PTZ cams I use occasionally. I use iSpy running on an old Optiplex Core 2 Duo. It seems to work alright, but the computer is pretty much useless for anything else.

My house is having work done so I'll finally be able to run some network cabling. I plan on adding two more 4mp dome cameras and running everything to an 8 port PoE switch. I have my eye on a refurb HP Prodesk i5-4570 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCGW85X/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I1QEYLOVJ3PJ) and a WD Purple 4TB HDD. This will be a dedicated machine running 24/7.

I'd also like to record/loop constantly. Will doing so put too much strain on the computer or network?

Thanks for all the help! This is a great forum!
you should reconsider the domes and the 4mp if using outdoors. read wiki
there is no strain on the pc running 24/7 but you will need much more than 4tb if you want any decent retention time...consider a tower system with more hdd space.
for a few more bux ebay is load with more modern i5-6500 prodesk/elitedesk...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! What kind of difference will I notice between say an i5-4570 vs i5-6xxx?
its not that significant but its likely a two/three year newer system for a few dollars more...also note although you are using ispy that does not use intel based hardware acceleration, other software you may use in the future may support it...with the 4570 you will never be able to use intel based h.265 acceleration because the processor does not support it.
I paid less than 200 for an elitedesk i5-6500 via ebay best offer recently...so you just have to look.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. so the '6500 is the first one to support hardware acceleration? I assume '6600+ and 7th gen support it too?
no, HA acceleration depends on what the software AND hardware supports...what i am saying is that anything before skylake can NEVER support h.265...regardless why would you not pay a few bux more for a 2-3 year newer system...if the age is of no concern you can pickup a 3570 based hp 8300 for 100 or less...also note that ispy recently added .264 gpu decoding but is vague on what gpu's it supports...though ispy has been obsolete (or more obsolete than it already was) since they began charging for alerts and remote access via a monthly fee...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh ok, well if deals like that can be had I'll definitely keep my eyes open. Are there any other places besides eBay that have decent deals on these machines?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok, well if deals like that can be had I'll definitely keep my eyes open. Are there any other places besides eBay that have decent deals on these machines?
dell outlet at times, but it will never be this low..they generally have more modern machines...you should swap out your old system anyway, its using more power than it would cost to replace.

Reaction score
Alrighty. Yeah my setup is pretty much just pieced together with what I had laying around. Thanks again for the help! I know I ask too many questions...