Coyotes on the Hunt

RIMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Long time lurker here, but never had anything of real interest to post.

Third night in a row and they show no signs of fear of the motion lights. I have a dog, and well as the neighbors across the street in the fenced in area. They obviously know there are dogs at both houses.

Town and DEM both say there is not a problem here in town. Not sure I actually believe them anymore.

Back deck camera dome need to be cleaned, keep forgetting to do that. All Cams are Dahua 4MP Domes.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lol, we have coyotes around my house, our little dog would be a nice snack so we are careful when walking at night.
I haven't seen them in a while, but I used to see one a lot when I walked my dog late at night.
And I'm sure they are used to the motion lights and stuff. The coyote I saw used to just look at me, but when I yelled and raised my arms he would run away. But always kind of scares me when I see em. lol.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome video, thanks for posting! He definitely looks like he's looking for something to eat, glad no one (or any dogs) were outside. He's a good size coyote too.

RIMike

n3wb
Reaction score
There are actually two of them at one point. If you watch when they are walking down the street, you can see the second one in the yard. Check the 2:45 time and you will see.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Urban Coyotes are more dangerous imho; they dont get hunted and rarely have any fear of humans at all... I grew up in rural mid-west; a pack of Yotes would flee quickly if they caught wind of your presence; where as the Urban ones just look at you sideways as your clapping and throwing rocks at em.. They are also less pure-bred in the city and can mix with larger breeds; Coywolfs.. ugh.

I harassed a pack of 3 all summer long thanks to my video cameras; they eventually turned on me and used tactics to lure me into a vurnable position.. nothing like being surrounded by 3 wild dogs closing in on you from 20ft away with only a Louisville slugger in your hands.. Luckily I made it back to my front door and unleashed my Pyrenees on them; together we managed to turn the tables.

Earlier this year I was mucking with a new camera late at night when a bobtailed coyote snuck up behind me and just sat there within 10ft or so watching me as I was oblivious to its presence.. Startled the shit out of me when I turned around and saw it just looking at me.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Earlier this year I was mucking with a new camera late at night when a bobtailed coyote snuck up behind me and just sat there within 10ft or so watching me as I was oblivious to its presence.. Startled the shit out of me when I turned around and saw it just looking at me.
I would have shit in my pants ;)

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would have shit in my pants ;)
Me Too :eek:

I thought I saw a coyote around my home, which is in a metropolitan area. After some research, I've concluded it was a young fox. What threw me was the tan coat of the animal, which is normally how young foxes look before their coat turns red. I learned that if it has black "socks", black tip ears, and white tip tail, then it's an adolescence red fox even if their coat is tan.

Coyotes probably still live among us. It's just that they are more stealthy than foxes.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Which Dahua domes do you have, any issues with fogging or IR reflection?