CPU 95-100%

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am managing a machine that has blue iris 4.8.4.3 x64 running with 7x 4mp wbox and hikvision cameras. the system is an intel i5 4440 8gb ram an intel HD graphics 4600 onboard video card. Windows 8.1 The cpu runs at 95-100% most all the time. I have limited the cameras to 15fps and also set them to record direct to disc. I have turned on and off the hardware accelerator with a reboot after, and have changed the video driver several times. the original driver version was 10.18.10.4425 it is now 10.18.14.5067. nothing seems to affect this situation. can someone give a little guidance. TY

Last edited:

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you gone through this yet?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at

1)Are you sure you have the correct CPU , is it I5-4440 ?
2) What is your MP/Second ?
3) What is your memory usage ?
4) do you use a virus scanner on your BI PC ?
5) is the system and BI on an SSD ?

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you gone through this yet?
Yes I have pretty much done all that except the start as a service, live preview frame rate, video scaling, text and graphic overlays, encoder preset, and limit decoding. I have remote access to this PC so I will try those to reduce it TY

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Look at

1)Are you sure you have the correct CPU , is it I5-4440 ?
2) What is your MP/Second ?
3) What is your memory usage ?
4) do you use a virus scanner on your BI PC ?
5) is the system and BI on an SSD ?
1. yes it is i5-4440 typo
2. not sure what you mean here
3. 2.2
4. yes McAfee
5. not its on a hard disc with an external HDD as storage

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Adding overlays in BI seems to greatly increase CPU usage. If at all possible, use the camera overlays instead.
2. MP/sec is based on the resolution and frame rate. The total is found by adding up the amounts for each camera. Here is one calculator Bandwidth and Storage Calculator | StarDot Technologies
4. For your antivirus, make sure it is not scanning the BI folders. That has been reported to adversely impact performance & CPU usage.
5. HD vs SSD should not impact CPU % used but will make BI run faster overall. When i updated from a spindle drive to a SSD performance was much better.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2) in Blue Iris is megapixels/second. It is on the status page (three vertical bars) camera status page at the bottom. This tells you the load on the system and will help you compare it to other similar cameras on the link i posted.
4) Turn off the virus scanner, or at least turn it off on all BI folders. If possible turn it off on network traffic.
5) It is recommended that you get an internal drive for storage. The external drive is using CPU to write to it, I am surprised that it can keep up.

Reaction score
4. For your antivirus, make sure it is not scanning the BI folders.
I ALWAYS run anti-virus, but even I would recommend you disable it on your Blue Iris machine, at least until you can tinker with the settings and ensure it isn't confused and scanning all your BI files (both video files and snapshots). Just don't browse the web from that device, and you will still be 90% safe with 100% less headache.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have pretty much done all that except the start as a service, live preview frame rate, video scaling, text and graphic overlays, encoder preset, and limit decoding. I have remote access to this PC so I will try those to reduce it TY
are you taking the cpu measurements while remotely accessing the server or on a local monitor? have you tried using the mobile app or web interface to check cpu usage?

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After setting BI to run as a service, reduced live preview frame rate, and video scaling, it now is running in the 50-60 % range Thank you everyone.