CPU for 1 Camera

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is a Pentium G4600 (w/ hyper-threading) enough to run a 2MP or 4MP camera? I have spare parts including that CPU and would like to try setting up my first camera using a system with Pentium G4600 and Windows 10 and Blue Iris.

How many cameras could I run?

Would a GTX 1060 help it out? I have that also.

Thanks

TL;DR - Deleted the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is a Pentium G4600 (w/ hyper-threading) enough to run a 2MP or 4MP camera? I have spare parts including that CPU and would like to try setting up my first camera using a system with Pentium G4600 and Windows 10 and Blue Iris.

How many cameras could I run?

Would a GTX 1060 help it out? I have that also.
Intel says the Pentium G4600 has QuickSync video, so you can use the "Direct to Disk" option to save a LOT of CPU effort. You could probably run one or two cameras without loading it down too badly. Be certain you have at least 8 GB of RAM, however. 4 GB just isn't enough.

nVidia video cards will not help the performance any.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone can (and should) use direct to disk. Quick Sync Video means Intel's hardware acceleration is available for H.264 video, and that should be used too. For just a few cameras, 4 GB RAM is fine.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys.

Now I've ordered a 4TB WD Purple, which I suppose will be used for the direct to disk. But I've also got a couple SSDs (120GB - 1TB). Will the SSD be useful for anything other than storing video?

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Morning guys, I am sorry for hijack the thread, but this also along the lines of what I am doing.
Is Direct to Disk a setting enabled in the VMS you are using (blue iris). I have a machine with 16GB and an i7-8700T that has quicksync. How can I make sure I am using those resources.
From what I am gathering, Quick sync should be automatically used by the systems and VMS when live viewings and performing other tasks if I read correctly.

The chassis I have has an SSD, but I do have a WD purple drive just like the OP that I can put in an enclosure and connect via USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps) or NAS. How badly would this hurt performance or is it just not doable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys.

Now I've ordered a 4TB WD Purple, which I suppose will be used for the direct to disk. But I've also got a couple SSDs (120GB - 1TB). Will the SSD be useful for anything other than storing video?
You should put BI's clip database on your fastest storage (SSD if you have it), though it doesn't make a great deal of difference in my experience. There is no reason to store video on an SSD, since HDDs perform just fine for that and are much cheaper per GB.

Good Morning guys, I am sorry for hijack the thread, but this also along the lines of what I am doing.
Is Direct to Disk a setting enabled in the VMS you are using (blue iris). I have a machine with 16GB and an i7-8700T that has quicksync. How can I make sure I am using those resources.
From what I am gathering, Quick sync should be automatically used by the systems and VMS when live viewings and performing other tasks if I read correctly.

The chassis I have has an SSD, but I do have a WD purple drive just like the OP that I can put in an enclosure and connect via USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps) or NAS. How badly would this hurt performance or is it just not doable.
Direct to disk is a setting you enable in the configuration for each camera in Blue Iris. It means Blue Iris will record video frames exactly as the camera sent them, without re-encoding them. It saves a lot of CPU time.

Blue Iris can use Quick Sync for decoding incoming H.264 streams from each camera. It saves CPU time and is recommended to use on all systems which support it. To determine if hardware acceleration (Quick Sync) is working, the easiest method is to look in Windows 10's Task Manager on the Processes tab and see if there is usage on "GPU 0 - Video Decode".

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^ thank you very much for taking the time to detail this for us.

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys.

Use the 120GB SSD for your Windows boot disk. You'll appreciate the fast reboot times. Save the 1TB SSD for something else.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got my 2x IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight up and running on my Pentium G4560. Screenshot to show hardware usage. I'm now wondering what happens if I add two more. The GPU usage looks like it will max out.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Read in the wiki Optimizing blue iris cpu.

Use recording direct to disk. Use h.264 or h.265 in the camera so direct to disk.
Reduce the frame rate to under 15 fps.
Thanks.

I already had Direct to Disk enabled with H.264
Frame rate was 25.

Now I reduced frame rate to 12 and CPU usage is 16% and GPU usage is 34%. Also, I'm viewing on a 4K monitor. I noticed if I minimize Blue Iris, CPU and GPU usage goes down to almost nothing.