CPU for Blue Iris

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
not sure how well this is going to go - I'm going to try and build a system by myself with limited knowledge about computers and cameras.
On my last (out of the box) security system, i changed wifi providers and i managed to forward a port and open it up so my phone app would work.
I was never really happy with the system, or the cameras, so I figured I would try a different route with this one

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure how well this is going to go - I'm going to try and build a system by myself with limited knowledge about computers and cameras.
On my last (out of the box) security system, i changed wifi providers and i managed to forward a port and open it up so my phone app would work.
I was never really happy with the system, or the cameras, so I figured I would try a different route with this one
do not build your own computer

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
do not build your own computer
noted with thanks! i won't try and build my own pc, but will try and piece together a system, rather than an all-inclusive kit from Sams or Costco .

will the 3770 run Blue Iris, (i think my dad already paid for this one)....he is trying to help me and has built several PC's over the years

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
noted with thanks! i won't try and build my own pc, but will try and piece together a system, rather than an all-inclusive kit from Sams or Costco .

will the 3770 run Blue Iris, (i think my dad already paid for this one)....he is trying to help me and has built several PC's over the years
it will run it..but its a terrible price and a more modern machine would be better...

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks fenderman! he is in his late 70's and this gives him something to do, plus he loves helping me with a project - he is going to add windows 10 to it, and we will eventually settle on buying a single camera for the front door. Once we get the hang of it and get her dialed in and working - from there I'm sure I will add more cameras and upgrade as I progress down the road and try and learn a thing or two

thanks for the replys - much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks fenderman! he is in his late 70's and this gives him something to do, plus he loves helping me with a project - he is going to add windows 10 to it, and we will eventually settle on buying a single camera for the front door. Once we get the hang of it and get her dialed in and working - from there I'm sure I will add more cameras and upgrade as I progress down the road and try and learn a thing or two

thanks for the replys - much appreciated
remind him that you can upgrade from 7 to 10 for free...Here's how to get Windows 10 for free -- still
but to do a clean install of 10....

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller.

Getting rid of my all in one EZVIZ system and switching to a Blue Iris build.
I found an i7-3770 SFF PC for ~$160 (alternatively, the common i5-4570 for $180-190 on Amazon/eBay). Will only need to add a hard drive for direct to disk storage so total will set me back $240. Much cheaper than the first-mentioned machine.
I know it's older than the mentioned 6700 build but more within my budget. Will the 3770 be good enough for 5-6 3/4MP cams and 2-3 720P indoor cams?

Thanks in advance,
Cory

Edit: I feel like I should note that this is for home surveillance. I will not be sitting there monitoring the feeds so they won't need to be displayed on a monitor unless needed. Just recording and going back if an unfortunate event happens as well as the remote viewing while at work/away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller.

Getting rid of my all in one EZVIZ system and switching to a Blue Iris build.
I found an i7-3770 SFF PC for ~$160 (alternatively, the common i5-4570 for $180-190 on Amazon/eBay). Will only need to add a hard drive for direct to disk storage so total will set me back $240. Much cheaper than the first-mentioned machine.
I know it's older than the mentioned 6700 build but more within my budget. Will the 3770 be good enough for 5-6 3/4MP cams and 2-3 720P indoor cams?

Thanks in advance,
Cory

Edit: I feel like I should note that this is for home surveillance. I will not be sitting there monitoring the feeds so they won't need to be displayed on a monitor unless needed. Just recording and going back if an unfortunate event happens as well as the remote viewing while at work/away.

FYI keep in mind that Dell has its own auction site for selling older equipment returned from leases. They fix them all up and auction them off you can find some good deals. Or at least use it to price check ebay.

Dell Financial Services