CPU high, losing cams on 5.2.5.4

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I should know better. Was on BI 5.2.5.3 with no issues. figured the next version would be safe, but as soon as 5.2.5.4 started up, my CPU went thru the roof until BI crashed, came back and started gogin high again.
got i stabilized by disabling 'run as a service', but still running hot ~75-80% & higher with console open. Previously, ran ~ 55-60% (per BI's display in lower right corner). didn't change cams or settings at all.
Have an email into support, but not heard anything yet. Anyone else experience higher CPU on 5.2.5.3 --> 5.2.5.4 transition? just went to 5.2.5.5 and seems no better so far...

Thanx, Paul.

Support data:
Version: Release 5.2.5.5 x64 (04/14/20)
Service: Yes [.\pozze]
License: XXXXX
Name: Paul Ozzello
Email: XXXX
Support: Extended
Expires: 11/24/2020 2:09:11 PM
WAN: XXXX
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz [84%]
RAM: 8.73G/11.8G
Clips: 1066 files, 899.1G/910.0G
Storage: E: +17.9G

edit: I did "remove and then re-add the service from the Settings/Startup page" as indicated in release notes...

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I had similar problems yesterday with 5.2.5.4 and again just now with 5.2.5.5. I have also emailed BI support.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tagging along, came on here for the exact reason. 3 camera drop off right after 5.2.5.5

hex52

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm seeing very high CPU usage too.

Apparently I didn't have the latest version of BIUpdateHelper. How can I get the update file for 5.2.5.3?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
also check to see if your webgui works... mine is stuck at loading camera list.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have BI update helper, guess it's too late now so if anyone has previous installer, would you mind sharing? Thanks!

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Similar symptoms here, higher CPU using 5.2.5.4 and all Cam windows stuck on color bars with 5.2.5.5.
Rolling back to 5.2.5.3 restored BI functionality.

hex52

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone want to try 5.2.5.5 with Intel+VPP? From Ken:

Change was again to Intel HW decoding:

Intel .... a new method
Intel + VPP ... the old way for backward compatibility.

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've tinkered with updating to the latest versions, knowing full well I may need to roll back if problems arise.

In my case, I also use the "run as service" and I noticed that it configures the service recovery options to always restart the service if it crashes. So when it crashes (and it has for me, repeatedly, in the recent builds), it will immediately try to start up again, over and over.

Also, and this is just my experience, what I've seen is that when it has an issue and crashes, it automatically configures almost all of my cameras (about 20) to NO hardware acceleration. Which doesn't make my i7-7700K very happy. Normally I have all of the cameras using HW acceleration (either Intel, or using the Nvidia Quadro P2000 in that system). Normally it all works great and my Nvidia is handling almost all of the decode acceleration, running at about 40% NVDEC. If I use Intel HW accel instead, the decode on that GPU runs about the same.

But when it crashes and restarts, and all of my cameras no longer have HW acceleration enabled, the CPU usage hits 100% almost right away and various cameras stop working, and inevitably the service will crash again within a few seconds, or maybe a minute or two.

I had to reconfigure the service so that the recovery options are "take no action" instead of restarting. That at least gives me a chance to look at the registry and turn the HW acceleration back on for each camera before I start it up again. I even wrote a little batch file to automate setting the reg keys on each camera just to make it easier. Yes, it's been going on like this for about a week I guess, so I was motivated to script it.

I could roll back to a safer version, but I was enjoying seeing the Intel acceleration working well with H.265 (until it crashes, of course).

In some cases I've only had good success getting everything running again by rebooting the machine. I don't know if that means there's some other issue going on (memory leak, etc). This system is dedicated to BlueIris, FYI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I switched my global HWVA setting to "Intel + VPP" then reinstalled 5.2.5.5 and indeed performance looks like it did in 5.2.5.3 with "Intel".

H.265 decoding also appears to work with "Intel" and "Intel + VPP" options, for the first time I've ever seen.

To test it, I changed one of my 4K cams to H.265 @ 30 FPS so its individual effect on resource usage would be more noticeable.

1586901961225.png

CPU performance does appear significantly better with "Intel + VPP" selected.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was having issues today with 5.2.5.5 spiking CPU to 100%. I switched from Intel to Intel+VPP and jumped down to 40%. However, I noticed my MP/s jumped by 15%. I will have to test h.265 to see if I can get things stable to save some bandwidth and storage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
MP/s can be reduced of course if the system isn't able to keep up with the load, like if your CPU or memory is too slow, such that when you reduce the load the measured MP/s actually goes up.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was with you until the last part of your sentence. Are you saying when the server is overloaded, it is dropping frames and therefore lowering MP/s?

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just saw that 5.2.5.6 is available. It seems Ken has been busy the past few days, squashing bugs. I don't know if there's any more info on what bugs are being addressed in each build, beyond the generic "bug fixes" mention.

For example, I noticed that in 5.2.5.4, which I'm running right now, although my Nvidia decode acceleration is working okay for my H.265 cameras, it's not playing back any previously recorded BVR files. I have to uncheck the "also BVR" box (or switch to Intel acceleration) in order to play those back. The H.264 cameras and BVR files seem okay. Minor issues

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My only symptom with version .5 is GPU nearly doubled...no other changes. Using Intel HW accel. I skipped .4