CPU maxing out when converting clips...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask a quick question on playback/converting CPU issues.

I currently have computer with Quad core i5-3570 3.4ghz cpu.

I run 6 camera D2D recording and run around 40% cpu usage.

Anytime I try to do playback within the BI program (not the app) my CPU usage spikes to 95-100%. Anytime I need to covert files for exporting it spikes at 100% too.

I get around this by disabling all the cameras (I set up a profile for this) and playback and exporting runs smooth as butter then. I just wanted to see if others have this problem and maybe some tips (other than getting a different cpu) to circumvent needing to turn off the cameras temporarily to view clips and playback.

Thanks in advance Fenderman :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask a quick question on playback/converting CPU issues.

I currently have computer with Quad core i5-3570 3.4ghz cpu.

I run 6 camera D2D recording and run around 40% cpu usage.

Anytime I try to do playback within the BI program (not the app) my CPU usage spikes to 95-100%. Anytime I need to covert files for exporting it spikes at 100% too.

I get around this by disabling all the cameras (I set up a profile for this) and playback and exporting runs smooth as butter then. I just wanted to see if others have this problem and maybe some tips (other than getting a different cpu) to circumvent needing to turn off the cameras temporarily to view clips and playback.

Thanks in advance Fenderman :)
Are you doing this remotely (teamviewer, rdp etc) on locally on the pc?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using Chrome remote only seems to have like a 4-5% increase in CPU usage...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using Chrome remote only seems to have like a 4-5% increase in CPU usage...
That is likely your issue, it may appear to use less in task manager but in reality using more..
Test by disconnecting remote view and exporting/playback on a local monitor...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is likely your issue, it may appear to use less in task manager but in reality using more..
Test by disconnecting remote view and exporting/playback on a local monitor...
OK I'll try that... I currently do not use a monitor on local machine bc my computer is in a closet on top shelf.

Side note have you ever used or heard of people using a VGA to cat5 adapter before?

Thinking of getting Amazon.com: Insten 390911 2 Black VGA Extender Adapter To CAT5/CAT6/RJ45 Cable: Home Audio & Theater.

So I can run a cat5 from the closet to my office

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK I'll try that... I currently do not use a monitor on local machine bc my computer is in a closet on top shelf.

Side note have you ever used or heard of people using a VGA to cat5 adapter before?

Thinking of getting Amazon.com: Insten 390911 2 Black VGA Extender Adapter To CAT5/CAT6/RJ45 Cable: Home Audio & Theater.

So I can run a cat5 from the closet to my office
Before hassling with moving the pc, try starting playback of a long clip via remote, then exiting waiting 10 seconds or so and check the cpu usage via the mobile app..or use cpu tracking software...
Never used the extender, I have used hdmi over cat5 units by tripplite but they are significantly more expensive. Something like this is at the low range but should work (never used it myself) Amazon.com: Expert Connect | HDMI Extender Over Cat5 / Cat6 Ethernet Cable Up to 330 Feet ( 200 Feet Ethernet Cable + 130 Feet HDMI Cable ), 1080p, 3D: Home Audio & Theater

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.