CPU temprature

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any thoughts on CPU Temperatures. I am using an Intel I5-6260. I currently have 10 cameras 3 meg running 10fps. The cpu utilization is 50% and temperature is between 58-63 Celsius. it feels kindof warm but it isn't increasing in temp with time (as of now) been running for 4 hours. any thoughts on this

Thanks
Richard

Reaction score
Are you using the oem cpu fan that came with the cpu? Does your case have enough airflow? 120mm fans are pretty cheap to add to the case if your case supports it. Is it in the open or in a cabinet? Otherwise, a hyper 212 evo that is popular with the gamers will keep your cpu temps down. I would monitor it and see. Lots of options to consider.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those temperatures aren't a problem.

While the CPU may idle at under 30°C, within a second, once a load is put on a CPU, it will jump up. Even if you set the fan speed to max, it will run no cooler. The issue is that CPU cores have such small surface area now that they can't dissipate heat quickly enough to the heatspreader, and then to the heatsink. Newer CPUs will thermally protect themselves once they reach around 100-102°C. My 6700K will jump from 26°C to 65°C within a split second if I launch just about anything, and creep up to 70°C+, with a large tower cooler that stays cool.

Below 90°C with a higher ambient temperature, you're fine. I prefer not seeing higher than 80°C just because traditionally that has been very high. Many laptops allow their processors to run above 80°C before running at max fan speed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
back in the day when intel first came out with the thermal protection I remember seeing demo's of 2 computers under full load having the heatsinks removed.. one cpu w/thermal overload protection.. one without, the one without pretty much instantly let out burning smoke and forever shutdown.. the one with thermal protection simply crashed in a BSOD and then rebooted fine once the heatsink was reinstalled.

as long as the system is running stable you should be fine, and if it does overheat and shutdown most will display a thermal overload message on the next boot.. Overclockers bump up against it all the time w/out any ill effects.

You can always lookup your CPU's spec sheet on intel's website and they clearly list the cpu temp ranges they are rated for.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
back in the day when intel first came out with the thermal protection I remember seeing demo's of 2 computers under full load having the heatsinks removed.. one cpu w/thermal overload protection.. one without, the one without pretty much instantly let out burning smoke and forever shutdown.. the one with thermal protection simply crashed in a BSOD and then rebooted fine once the heatsink was reinstalled.
Are you thinking of that, or where the heatsink was removed when running a Quake 3 TimeDemo? That's the only one I remember from back in the day. The Athlon burned up, the Pentium 4 throttled down to unplayable speeds. More marketing than anything else, and I preferred the non-thermally-controlled AMD chips over Intel's horrible Netburst architecture. You just had to get a decent motherboard - too many inferior 3rd party chipsets on the AMD side.

Back then CPU temperatures also meant something different. Thermistors were on the motherboard, under the CPU socket. People freaked out after later upgrading and seeing higher CPU temperatures...since the CPU temperature in apps began to report new on-chip temps rather than under-socket temps. 40°C socket "CPU" temperatures then became 60°C CPU-die temperatures.

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is an intel NUC so the fan is small. it didn't seem to have any problems. i did watch it go up to 75C when it was working harder installing Symantec and running the scan. but it quickly came back down to the m id 50s and low 60s.