CPU usage doubled

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i7-7700
16gb ram
win 10 pro

So I had 6 cameras setup and CPU usage was a steady 17-18% at idle.
2 profiles with different motion detection zones.

Added 3 cameras today, the only other thing I changed was resolution. They were all around 2560x1440 and I bumped them up to 3072x2048.

CPU usage is now 37-41% on the 9 cameras. Fans are constantly running.

Was it the change in resolution? Something else in not thinking of?

All the essentials are set as described in the wiki.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i7-7700
16gb ram
win 10 pro

So I had 6 cameras setup and CPU usage was a steady 17-18% at idle.
2 profiles with different motion detection zones.

Added 3 cameras today, the only other thing I changed was resolution. They were all around 2560x1440 and I bumped them up to 3072x2048.

CPU usage is now 37-41% on the 9 cameras. Fans are constantly running.

Was it the change in resolution? Something else in not thinking of?

All the essentials are set as described in the wiki.

You more than doubled your load. That result is expected. Your fans should still not be audible at this load. On many pc's there is a bios adjustment for fans.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're running all cameras with "Direct To Disk" and "Intel Hardware Accelerated Decode" enabled?

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You more than doubled your load. That result is expected. Your fans should still not be audible at this load. On many pc's there is a bios adjustment for fans.
just curious, are you saying going from 6 cams to 9 cams is over double the load? is it exponential?

is 40% CPU usage normal for my processor?

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're running all cameras with "Direct To Disk" and "Intel Hardware Accelerated Decode" enabled?
correct
direct to disc
Intel hardware acceleration
all cams at 10fps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just curious, are you saying going from 6 cams to 9 cams is over double the load? is it exponential?

is 40% CPU usage normal for my processor?

Blue iris does not care about the number of cameras. Its resolution x fps. You more than doubled it. Once you get over 50 percent useage it will not be linear. BP2008 has several great posts explaining this. There are lots of variables affecting fps. My comment was simply related to the fact that you were at 18 percent, before more than doubling your load. Makes sense that it would jump by that amount.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue iris does not care about the number of cameras. Its resolution x fps. You more than doubled it. Once you get over 50 percent useage it will not be linear. BP2008 has several great posts explaining this. There are lots of variables affecting fps. My comment was simply related to the fact that you were at 18 percent, before more than doubling your load. Makes sense that it would jump by that amount.
gotcha.

that said, should I dial down my resolution?

I noticed that 1080 was a little grainy, maybe back to 2560x1440?

I would have tested it already, but it resets all my motion zones

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
gotcha.

that said, should I dial down my resolution?

I noticed that 1080 was a little grainy, maybe back to 2560x1440?

I would have tested it already, but it resets all my motion zones

40 percent is not a high load. Just leave it as is.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Rmantx

It is not cameras it is the megapixel. You added 50% more cameras. Pixels increased by just less than 50%

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys. When I built this PC I was pretty excited going from 55% usage down to the teens. It's like building a racecar and then wondering why it isn't towing very well haha.

I guess that's why I got a diesel pickup

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A rough formula for calculating "the load": No. of Cameras x (Megapixels x Frame Rate) = Megapixels per second

Example: Eight (8) 2.1MP cameras running at 10FPS
8 x (2.1*10) = 168 MP/s​

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
2560 x 1440 is about 3.69 megapixels. 6 of them at 10 FPS would be 221 MP/s.

3072x2048 is about 6.29 megapixels. 9 of them at 10 FPS would be 566 MP/s. Over double the load like @fenderman said.

Assuming that is indeed the MP/s load on the system, your CPU usage does seem a little high, but it could be easily explained by any number of additional things such as remote access (via a mobile app, UI3, teamviewer, remote desktop, etc) or just by having the Blue Iris local console open at a high resolution. Or even Windows Update sitting in the background and slurping on a CPU core.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bumped all the cams down to 2560x1440 last night, CPU usage actually went up lol. Not even trying to figure that one out.

Set them all back to the full 6mp and deleted 1 cam (replaced with an outdoor AP). Still. have 1 more cam to put up, but so far I'm hovering around the low-mid 40s.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another question - My cams appear to be running at 20fps.

I have them all set at 10fps on the cam setup page. They have always run at 9.9x fps.

Anyhow just verified they are all set at 10fps, and even tried setting it in BI. Clicked OK, cam reset, and still at 20. Opened up cam properties and its back to max rate 20fps.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember that Blue Iris can't control your camera resolution or frame rate. Those must be set in the camera's web interface.
yes, but those are all set to 10 fps

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've edited and removed this post because @bp2008 told us that what I had written was, for the most part, incorrect...sorry about that guys! smiley18.gif

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the Blue Iris Help file...
Use the Max. rate option to specify the time between images. Many cameras may be able to provide images as fast as 30 frames per second (fps) (or 25 for PAL format video). If your PC is of sufficient muscle, Blue Iris will have no problem keeping up with these rates. However, this is generally not required for security or web cam applications, as the amount of system resources (CPU, memory and hard drive space) consumed may quickly become an issue. You'll probably find acceptable the 1 fps to 10 fps range. There are several "preset" frame rates from which to choose, but advanced users are able to specify their own values here by either entering the fps value (from 0.1 to 30.0) or the frame interval value in 100ns units (from 333333 to 100000000). Caution: some device drivers will cause the system to halt (blue screen) if they are instructed to use frame rate values outside of their normal operating parameters. For example, the inexpensive "Twinkle Cam" driver will bring down Windows if fewer than 5 fps is specified.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Max Rate setting isn't quite as simple as @Q™ describes. It does work what way for some types of camera (such as USB or something providing jpeg frames).

But H.264 / H.265 cameras control their own frame rate. If they send something higher than BI has configured in the "Max Rate" box, BI will auto-adjust the "Max Rate" box to make it higher. BI will not auto-adjust this field downward, however. If the value of "Max Rate" is significantly higher than the camera is sending, then it is just a waste of memory since BI uses this field to decide on a buffer size.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Max Rate setting isn't quite as simple as ">@Q describes. It does work what way for some types of camera (such as USB or something providing jpeg frames).

But H.264 / H.265 cameras control their own frame rate. If they send something higher than BI has configured in the "Max Rate" box, BI will auto-adjust the "Max Rate" box to make it higher. BI will not auto-adjust this field downward, however. If the value of "Max Rate" is significantly higher than the camera is sending, then it is just a waste of memory since BI uses this field to decide on a buffer size.
so with my cams set to 10fps in the camera config, why is BI seeing 20fps suddenly?

they were all 10fps when I had the original 6.