CPU Usage HIGH

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it normal for Blue Iris.exe to sit around 35% processor usage while minimized, and then if you maximize/bring app forward it jumps up to ~65% processor usage? I find it weird that it jumps 30% when just bringing it to the forefront. I am using D2D, and this happens when the cameras aren't even recording...just live view.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it normal for Blue Iris.exe to sit around 35% processor usage while minimized, and then if you maximize/bring app forward it jumps up to ~65% processor usage? I find it weird that it jumps 30% when just bringing it to the forefront. I am using D2D, and this happens when the cameras aren't even recording...just live view.

Thanks
What cameras? what cpu?
are you using hardware acceleration?

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have three Foscam 9805s and in the process of installing new Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5. So three of the Foscam and two HikVisions are running atm. Two more HikVision's will be coming online for a total of 4 HV and 3 Foscams.
I5-2500k proc. How exactly do I turn on/make sure hardware acceleration is enabled?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have three Foscam 9805s and in the process of installing new Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5. So three of the Foscam and two HikVisions are running atm. Two more HikVision's will be coming online for a total of 4 HV and 3 Foscams.
I5-2500k proc. How exactly do I turn on/make sure hardware acceleration is enabled?
you must be running the latest versions of blue iris (.8 or .9) and be using intel graphics (no discrete card) and go to blue iris options>cameras to enable.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like it was not enabled. After enabling, the process jumps to 50% utilization while minimized, and ~75% when maximizing. So hardware acceleration seems to have made it worse?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like it was not enabled. After enabling, the process jumps to 50% utilization while minimized, and ~75% when maximizing. So hardware acceleration seems to have made it worse?
I have seen one other user report that. The rest of us are seeing significant drops. Are you running the demo version of blue iris? if so that is your problem.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nope fully licensed for a couple of years now.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They were running 30fps, but I already dropped that down to 20fps. I will check AV.

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seen one other user report that. The rest of us are seeing significant drops. Are you running the demo version of blue iris? if so that is your problem.
I'm the one that reported that and that condition still exists on all my Intel HD 3000 machines...not on HD4000 and up.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I did restart BI, I even restarted the entire pc just to make sure.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently I have 4 of the Hikvision's running and one Foscam. Blueiris.exe is taking up over 86% now.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I completely misunderstood the Intel piece earlier. You are saying that the hardware acceleration will only work with an embedded Intel video chip? I am running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. My mobo technically does have onboard Intel video which I am not using, and it is an HD3000.

Reaction score
I completely misunderstood the Intel piece earlier. You are saying that the hardware acceleration will only work with an embedded Intel video chip? I am running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. My mobo technically does have onboard Intel video which I am not using, and it is an HD3000.
Yes, you cannot use the GTX 970 with Intel Hardware acceleration. If you remove it and use the on board graphics, it should reduce your CPU usage.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is my main desktop/gaming machine so I won't be pulling out that card. :) These new HikVision cameras are screwing everything up! They are much better than the Foscam's I have been running. I probably need to tweak the cameras more. I am getting ghosting on them now when the foscams never did. Should I be running these are 20fps? what about bitrate, video quality, etc?

Reaction score
Turn off Digital Noise Reduction under image enhancement. That should solve your ghosting problem.

If I were you, I would dedicate a computer to BI.

Ox1574

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I already turned off the Noise reduction hoping that would fix it, but it's still an issue. I know I need to get a machine strictly for BI...that opens a whole new can of worms.

Reaction score
You turned it off, not just set it to 0 right?

If so turn it on and off again. The other day I experienced a glitch where it said noise reduction was off but it was actually on. I had to turn it on and off again to fix it.