crawl space Getting wire into house?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a crawl space and no attic, I’m trying to figure out how to run Cat6 cable into a closet where i will have a Poe switch, modem etc doing the least amount of damage to the floor drilling a big hole for 17 ip cams cat6 cable plus coax cable and other cables supplying internet to other rooms.

Do they make some kind of insert to put in the floor for this type of thing? I worry about mice finding it.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a similar setup. I run mine into the crawlspace through a hole in the floor in the wall cavity. From the crawlspace, I pushed up some 0000 stainless steel wool into the hole around the cables to discourage rodents from coming up.

My crawlspace is sealed and not open to outside air. If yours is not, you might want to seal the hole with something like expanding foam or pipe sealer to prevent heat/ac loss there. Its a little more permanent than steel wool but can be removed to add/replace cable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd use what I call the "screw trick" to drill a hole into the wall cavity exactly where it needs to be. Get a 2-1/2" deck screw and drive it, at an angle, right where the baseboard meets the floor. Of course check stud locations first. Then go into the crawl space, find that screw and drill up into the wall cavity. The angle of the screw will point in the direction of the wall. Don't forget to offset the hole center enough to accommodate the hole size, baseboard trim and sheetrock plus a little for "swag". Remember you're drilling up through the flooring and the sill plate for the wall, say about 2" worth of wood. Works every time for me. Plug around the cables with steel wool like Jessie said. I'd stick with steel wool because expanding foam is too darn hard to remove if you need to pull another cable.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I usually cut a hole with a hole saw just the right size to place a piece of PVC through the floor.
Then put a coupling on the top and bottom. Run your cables through, and plug with steel wool from the bottom,
and some carpet padding from the top. Gives you a good air tight hole the varmints can't get through,
and really easy to add more later when the camera bug, puter bug, etc hits the next time.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My wife is the trouble she does not want any holes in the house. lol

My crawl space is not sealed. It’s just made up of block around the house so I will need to drill into that as well as there is no openings large enough.

In my previous house I just had a dry box under the deck with a poe switch inside it. That way I only needed one cat6 cable coming back. It was a jerry rig but I never had any issues.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Since your crawl is vented, whatever hole you put in your floor will need to be airtight or you will lose hot or cold air into your crawlspace. Old Timer's carpet padding idea seems like a good one.

I would put the hole in the wall cavity as we have suggested. There are already plenty of these holes around your house for plumbing, electric, etc. She will never see it.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely will be in the wall cavity. I’ll just do it one day when she’s not around.

would it be best to install a patch box into the wall or just use a switch? As I will not be unplugging it over and over. I plan to put shelves up so a patch panel would end up covered up vs a switch sitting on the shelf.

I’m trying to think of the best way to fix the wall afterwards it would need to be flush so the shelves can be mounted.

thanks for the help

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a plastic electrical box frame, they're sold as a frame only for low voltage wiring, with a "blister" style face plate to bring the cables out. Not completely flush but a neat, clean, way to do it. I've got a double gang on the wall behind my desk where all my network cables come out. If you're worried about heat loss, a piece of insulating foam can be stuffed into the "blister" of the plate to reduce or eliminate any air flow.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have mine coming through the wall using low voltage junction boxes with theses access plates over them.

white-commercial-electric-a-v-wall-plates-5038-wh-64_1000.jpg

Eventually, I would like to put keystone jacks in the wall.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got a flexbit drill bit, on the first floor: I start with a hole for the cover plate and drill down after getting a rough idea of what is under that area ( i.e. electrical or water pipes.. easy enough to figure out if you have enough room in the crawl space )

Worked out really well. Pulled the wires, use some material to seal the hole...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use flex bits as well, but the "screw trick" works when you need a really big hole, 3/4", or larger, and takes the walking drill bit problem out of the equation. I do use it, sometimes, to get an exact, more or less, location.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use flex bits as well, but the "screw trick" works when you need a really big hole, 3/4", or larger, and takes the walking drill bit problem out of the equation. I do use it, sometimes, to get an exact, more or less, location.
I had to google them to see what they where. lol

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have 9 cat6 cables split between 2 of them right now. I'll be adding more as the addiction continues.

You could probably fit 17 cables through 2. Might be a little tight though.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 9 cat6 cables split between 2 of them right now. I'll be adding more as the addiction continues.

You could probably fit 17 cables through 2. Might be a little tight though.
Does it just screw onto a gang box?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Exactly. You get one of these old work low voltage boxes. They are called old work because you cut a square hole in the drywall, then when you tighten the screws the 2 ears flip out and hold the box to the drywall from the backside. You then screw the plate to this orange box. Easy peasy.

41CBJQNa7qL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly. You get one of these old work low voltage boxes. They are called old work because you cut a square hole in the drywall, then when you tighten the screws the 2 ears flip out and hold the box to the drywall from the backside. You then screw the plate to this orange box. Easy peasy.

View attachment 73808
Ok thanks i am not much of a handy man lol

Now i just to find some water tight cat6 connectors for outside to join my older cables together that can be under ground. I know it's not a good idea but only one splice should be ok i hope.

Wonder how good these are?

I do make my own cables.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.