Craziness ..... Convert IP camera to NTSC analog video?

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So.... I know this is a strange request. I have a client with an older analog system where 3 of the analog cameras are modulated on to an RF analog TV system..... aka DTV boxes creating their own channel lineup.

Anyway - They want to replace the analog cameras and go IP with an NVR. Easy Peasy. But.... can I take an a camera stream and convert it to analog? I know I can go out of the DVR with a couple cams and rotate them and then go from HDMI to analog. They really want 3 dedicated/modulated channels on the system of three full time cameras.

Any ideas? Raspberry PI with RTSP stream viewer and convert to analog may work. Thanks for any help.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Do they want composite video, RF analog TV, or RF digital TV? There are low cost HDMI-to-VGA converters you could maybe do something with. Last time I looked, analog TV modulators were low cost and digital TV modulators were very expensive.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Composite video > to RF analog ultimately.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My first guess as a quick hack would be to get 3 PCs and (assuming Dahua cameras) run smartPSS on each of them, each PC displaying a different camera. Find video cards with a composite output, or use VGA or HDMI to composite converters into the modulator(s). I expect that somebody who knows what they're doing could do the job with something like the PI, or maybe a single PC. My expertise ends at the quick hack level.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So.... I know this is a strange request. I have a client with an older analog system where 3 of the analog cameras are modulated on to an RF analog TV system..... aka DTV boxes creating their own channel lineup.

Anyway - They want to replace the analog cameras and go IP with an NVR. Easy Peasy. But.... can I take an a camera stream and convert it to analog? I know I can go out of the DVR with a couple cams and rotate them and then go from HDMI to analog. They really want 3 dedicated/modulated channels on the system of three full time cameras.
Any ideas? Raspberry PI with RTSP stream viewer and convert to analog may work. Thanks for any help.
Im sure there are more but the concept exists.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool device indeed. In my case the modulator (Analog UHF) is already installed and working. The existing TVs are not DTVs in my case.... A QAM version of this for the US would be an option in other projects... I will hunt around. I may try a RPi RTSP > HDMI to composite video converter. Maybe ~$60 per channel.

Thank you for the feedback.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
RPi have composite output on them. If you use a Pi Zero, the connection is there on the board, but you have to connect them up yourself, here is a write-up on the Pi Zero about composite out:

Here is another article about configuring the Pi to output composite video by modding the config.txt file:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@obqo So there are a handful of cameras out now that include an HDMI pigtail for spot monitoring live to a TV. Why not pick a few of those up - convert the HDMI out to composit with a pigtail (ton out there and inexpensive) and feed that into the existing system while also allowing them to feed back over IP into your new IP system. No need for additional PC's or hardware really, you're just putting in a new camera and adding an HDMI to Composite video pigtail. Below is an example of the camera I'm talking about.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@obqo So there are a handful of cameras out now that include an HDMI pigtail for spot monitoring live to a TV. Why not pick a few of those up - convert the HDMI out to composit with a pigtail (ton out there and inexpensive) and feed that into the existing system while also allowing them to feed back over IP into your new IP system. No need for additional PC's or hardware really, you're just putting in a new camera and adding an HDMI to Composite video pigtail. Below is an example of the camera I'm talking about.

I did not realize this.... Thanks very much I will check it out.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks for this - I would have to balun it back, but simple enough to pull another cat. Thanks for the info - certainly an option.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
RPi have composite output on them. If you use a Pi Zero, the connection is there on the board, but you have to connect them up yourself, here is a write-up on the Pi Zero about composite out:

Here is another article about configuring the Pi to output composite video by modding the config.txt file:
I am going to give this a shot tomorrow on a RPi4. Have you tried it on a Zero W? I am probably only going to run 640 x 480 or maybe 720p

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would see about sourcing some of the older pi models that still have a regular analog video output on them.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am going to give this a shot tomorrow on a RPi4. Have you tried it on a Zero W? I am probably only going to run 640 x 480 or maybe 720p
No, don't have a Zero to test it on. Here is another article about the jack. Only the original B model has a separate composite jack.

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, don't have a Zero to test it on. Here is another article about the jack. Only the original B model has a separate composite jack.

Thanks - I will report back. I may get a zero to try.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks - I will report back. I may get a zero to try.
Thought I'd mock this up using my old Pi that has the standard RCA composite out. It looks a bit dirty, it's been in the attic running flightaware (tracks air traffic in the area).

I used the bb "code" indentation to prevent the colon and at sign being changed to a happy face :).
Code:
1) Grabbed the latest Raspbian Lite and dd'ed to the SD card.
2) Placed the SD card in the Pi and connected up the composite out to my TV, added keyboard and mouse.
3) Booted up and let it install and update (note black border on top/bottom, need to adjust in config.txt later).
4) I grabbed a Wzye cam and placed it looking out my window (I have window screens, so it won't look that great, looks similar on HDMI).
5) Tried command line to run omxplayer:
            omxplayer --avdict --'rtsp_transport:tcp' -n -1 --live --timeout 60 'rtsp://CamUserName:YourPassword:@YourCamIPaddress:554/YourCamPath'
            i.e.  omxplayer --avdict --'rtsp_transport:tcp' -n -1 --live --timeout 60 'rtsp://admin:password123:@192.168.0.115:554/live'
Note that I'm using the main stream (1080p).

So this will work, via composite out. I would recommend you use RPiSurv software that SvenVD created, as it will check to ensure that the stream is still active every so many minutes and re-start it if not. Also, when you reboot it will automatically start streaming too (SvenVD/rpisurv).

Good luck with your project.

IMG_1-RPi.JPGIMG_2-Install (2).JPG
IMG_3-omxplayer (2).jpgIMG_4-WzyeCam (2).JPG

Last edited:

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@concord

Thanks for advice info! Since the Zero has a bit better processor it should get it done.

I will order one up and report back.