CUDA power consumption...

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just setup new open box XPS 8930 16GB I7-8700 machine that I got for $499 (it came out last year).

It replaces a Sandy Bridge i7-2600s (lower power version).

BI was running at about 25% of cpu consuming about 85 watts on the Kill-O-Watt on the Sandy Bridge machine.

The new machine with Intel acceleration checked in the BI settings sits at 14% cpu 4% gpu at 65 watts.

Now if I select CUDA, the cpu drops to 6%. Awesome, right? But not actually because the GPU goes from 4% to 12% and more importantly, the power consumption jumps from 63 watts to 70 watts.

So if you NEED CUDA in a case where where you're CPU bound, it's a great thing, but overall it produces takes more energy and produces more heat.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So with cuda on new box you're still using less power (85 to 70 watts) and cpu went from 25% to 6%. I'll take the 7 extra watts for the nice drop in cpu.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just setup new open box XPS 8930 16GB I7-8700 machine that I got for $499 (it came out last year).

It replaces a Sandy Bridge i7-2600s (lower power version).

BI was running at about 25% of cpu consuming about 85 watts on the Kill-O-Watt on the Sandy Bridge machine.

The new machine with Intel acceleration checked in the BI settings sits at 14% cpu 4% gpu at 65 watts.

Now if I select CUDA, the cpu drops to 6%. Awesome, right? But not actually because the GPU goes from 4% to 12% and more importantly, the power consumption jumps from 63 watts to 70 watts.

So if you NEED CUDA in a case where where you're CPU bound, it's a great thing, but overall it produces takes more energy and produces more heat.
Your power consumption numbers are very high, try removing the Nvidia card all together.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would too if my cpu usage was already high but it isn't. It's not even a dedicated machine but it's also not used for gaming or anything heavy.

What is your scenario in which you'd rather have the higher power consumption and more gpu load in favor of less cpu load? The only thing I can think of is if you have a high cpu usage app that can't use gpu processing.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your power consumption numbers are very high, try removing the Nvidia card all together.
That's for the entire tower, not just the CPU. Also, I shut down BI, it drops to 28 watts for the entire tower.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Removing the Nvidia card resulted in a 5 watt drop in power consumption. It didn't matter that I'd moved the two monitors to the Intel mother board. Simply having the card plugged in draws extra power. I did notice that the UI is substantially slower and more sluggish using the native graphics.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Removing the Nvidia card resulted in a 5 watt drop in power consumption. It didn't matter that I'd moved the two monitors to the Intel mother board. Simply having the card plugged in draws extra power. I did notice that the UI is substantially slower and more sluggish using the native graphics.
The UI should not be sluggish, are you using an ssd? Your numbers are still high, are you only measuring the pc and not the monitor? how many drives?