Current draw of IP cameras such as Foscam F18910W

eganders

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going to need to supply power from a plug-in power module (wall wort) as far away as 30 to 50 ft. What is the current draw that a typical IP wireless camera draws (such as the Foscam F18910W)?

I guess more to the point, what gauge wire do people use to supply these cameras from a distance away? I would like to make the wire as small a gauge as possible for ease of installation and to make the wiring as invisible as possible. I was thinking along the lines of 20 or 22 ga.

If someone has a favorite 2 conductor cable they use, please supply the make and part number.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Consider using PoE and something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRRS2RK

With this, you'd get a standard 802.3af PoE switch or PoE injector, and run a cat5e/cat6 network cable to the camera. This type of setup will carry 48ish volts which works better over that type of wire, and convert it to 5v or 12v or whatever you need at the end.

As an added bonus, doing this will make it a lot easier to take the camera off wireless and make everything work better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eganders

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm. Food for thought. I just did not want to do a home run back to the computer with all the camera cables. This would certainly be a solution for new construction. This, of course, would would need one at the camera and at the router adding cost at each camera--correct?.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not quite.
At the power outlet, you need an 802.3af compliant PoE power source to "inject" power into the ethernet cable.

This could be a simple PoE injector (power 1 device):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PS9E5I
Or a PoE switch (power 4 devices):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2
Or a multi-port PoE injector (power 8 devices as long as they don't require more than about 6 watts each):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086SQDMM

Then you need a splitter for each camera, to take the power off the ethernet wires and convert it from 48+ volts to 5 or 12 volts.
Here is a cheap one from a brand I trust:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATQK

Note you might have to cobble together your own adapter cables if the included DC plugs aren't compatible with the cameras.

Anyway, I'd probably choose a small PoE switch and splitters. You could still run your cam on WiFi, or you could get some powerline networking adapters to go from your PoE source back to your router and have a wired connection the whole way. It is worth noting that powerline networking does not always work reliably, just like WiFi. It uses your electrical wiring to transfer data, and how well it performs depends largely on the distance, the amount of 'noise' on the line at any given time, and the circuits / breaker box layout. I have a "500 Mbps" kit in my house that only links at about 40 Mbps, much like typical WiFi, but the real benefit is that I can send camera data through this and leave the WiFi free for things that need it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, once you have PoE gear installed and network cables run, it is really easy to upgrade the cameras to Hikvision or Dahua models that will make the Foscams look like childrens' toys.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think everyone will say go with POE because it really is best, and once you have it you might as well get a better camera :) To answer your original question--almost--here is a power supply compatible with your camera, from Foscam:

http://foscam.us/us-power-supply.html

It's rated to produce 2A. I have to imagine pretty much any 120V cable you'll find can handle that!

As far as running new wire, you can probably do a good job of hiding it behind things without remodeling or causing damage. I ran a bunch recently along the side of my house tucked in below the very bottom piece of sliding. The siding flexed just enough to hide Cat 6, and you absolutely cannot see it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The internet and networks are not going anywhere fast, even if you have to hire someone to yank ethernet cable around your house it is worth it... an older house, retrofitted with wired ethernet is a home improvement and if done correctly should increase your value.. its standard in new house builds.

What happens say in XX years when you get fiberoptic internet, with Gigabit+ speeds.. how exactly is the house going to use those speeds without a wired infrastructure? Wireless still wont cut it... its problems Google Fiber homes are dealing with now, and we all will eventually.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I recommend doing this, but I once fed 12v down about 50 feet of cat5e using the 2 unused pairs. It has been powering a little Loftek PTZ for about a year with no hiccups.

Much better to go with normal PoE gear.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would this injector work? It's much cheaper than the Foscam one and very well rated--no idea about active vs passive, though: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412989857&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+injector

Let's be realistic about the wifi, though. I think that if this device is any appreciable distance outside of the dwelling the odds of it maintaining a good wifi signal are low, so being wired in any case for data seems preferable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually. It won't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Passive

Foscam IP Cameras and many other brands and models require the use of Active PoE equipment and will not work properly during IR off/on changes when using Passive PoE equipment. This is why the Active PoE equipment was suggested in my prior post here. It's well documented that using Passive PoE equipment with Foscam IP Camera models will create issues as they can and do with other IP Camera brands and models as well:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1252-Current-draw-of-IP-cameras-such-as-Foscam-F18910W&p=10665&viewfull=1#post10665

Passive PoE is much better suited for devices that won't and can't have sudden current draw spikes. Like IP Cameras can and do have when IR lights go from off to on or PTZ motors are started.

This is why Foscam sells Active PoE equipment, for all their IP Camera models and not Passive PoE equipment, which is cheaper than Active PoE equipment. As many other IP Camera brands do or suggest to use as well.

Additionally. Passive PoE equipment is limited to much shorter distances, then Active PoE equipment is. Which is limited to about 30 to 40 meters for Passive PoE and as long as 100 meters ("Actually slightly longer") for Active PoE:

http://www.passivepoe.com/faq.html

Don
This is incorrect. All the "passive" poe does is use the unused pairs to transfer power. As long as you account for the attenuation you will be fine..its the same as extending the cord of the power adapter. Regardless, none if this junk should be used. Why have a bulky poe splitter powering the camera when you can have a much better camera with built in poe for around the same price...
OP if you can still return that foscam do so and get something better...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Enough about your "about me" link, i could care less. You link to the wikipedia page as though it supports your premise, it does no such thing. Here is the problem, the folks who run long ethernet cables with the passive adapters dont factor in the attenuation and therefore not enough power is reaching the camera. I would not trust foscams statement on anything related to ip cameras or electronics in general. I am not asking you to defend their claims just pointing out that you are wrong. Regardless why they heck would someone spend 55-69 (amazon or foscam.us) dollars for a FI8910W 640 x 480 VGA resolution mpeg (=bandwidth hog) camera that produces motion blur when there is any quick moving subject, then spend another 25 dollars on a splitter, look for a place to mount that ugly box, when they can get a Hikvision 2432 cube camera with a 2.8mm lens that captures the whole room (no need for silly ptz or miss something because its out of view) full HD, 3mp camera, with PIR motion sensor, sd card recording and POE built in, plug great two way audio all for 110 on ali express...it makes no sense...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are most welcome to my opinion. I have no reason to contact them, there is no difference electronically if you supply enough source power. They just want users to buy more of their crap. Just giving OP the correct info...
OP, another thing to consider about foscam is that the older 8910's wireless N cameras, i believe they did update the hardware to support N at some point. If you have an older cam, you cannot run your network in N only mode. You may suffer performance drops when running in mixed mode. Also you wont be able to take advantage of the increased range of N.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could care less about what the Foscam states...they also state that their cameras work properly....
The fact is if you extend the cable 50 feet using the passive adapters, compensate with a bigger power supply, take a meter reading at the tip and that reading is the same as the reading at the ip of the included power adapter..then there is no way the camera will respond differently. Fact. End of story, notwithstanding your "about me" link.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, its about electronic principles (not principals) not passive vs active....simple as extending cable length....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, You spent a lots of time on your explanation after you said you wont bother to explain yourself...not withstanding your pointless dribble, as long as the user compensates for the loss, and tests the output on the camera end under load and it meets the required output all is good. To reduce the amount loss the user can buy 23 gauge cat 6 at monoprice...Look the solution is less then ideal...but it works....The best solution is to dump foscam and get a good POE camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How can too much voltage be drawn if you test it first? It works..worst case i've prevented others of going down the expensive foscrap path...