Custom Parapet mount install

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got that PFA111 adapter welded on my old parapet arm that I had for over 8 years in attic :) I had to make a frame out of 20 ga. for the arm to hook into inside the attic. I wanted the arm to penetrate the roof exactly at the peak and be against the gable frame. It is solid as a rock and gives me a full 360 view. The parapet tube is 1.87" dia. and is .25" wall thickness.

Attachments

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I am patiently waiting for the sky to light up....been dry & HOT for 2 weeks now !20170721_065640.jpg

Reaction score
You are welcome.
Did you think about lightning protection? I don't know how far it goes up above your roof.That arm could be a lightning magnet.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Neat. The snow on my roof gets at least as deep as that entire pole though every winter.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
You are welcome.
Did you think about lightning protection? I don't know how far it goes up above your roof.That arm could be a lightning magnet.
Not really, I look at it as no different than a TV antenna or a metal cap on top of a chimney. I guess it could strike anywhere, but there are a lot of juicy trees that are higher than that. That said it will probably take a strike and that will take care of that. Lightning rods were very common on old houses, but around here you just don't see them anymore.

Neat. The snow on my roof gets at least as deep as that entire pole though every winter.
Never thought of that, but in my 35 years here I have never had that much snow on the peak...it always blows clean on that 10/12 slope...but never say never right :)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Even TV antennas/mast's are supposed to be grounded.
Yes, my brother and I have been going round and round on this....my dish sat has a whopping 10ga. wire grounding it. So this will carry a strike to ground ?? I would think it would melt that in a instant. I can ground the parapet arm pretty easy in my case, so that is on the to do list. Will it do any good, who knows. I read also if the wire is over 20 feet then I need #6 for ground. Here is some info if anyone is concerned:

Grounding Satellite Dish and Lead-In Cables

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't handle a direct strike, but it will help avoid induced surges and static buildup discharge. Induced surges can come from lightning strikes up to two miles away.

It's fairly well explained in the link you provided. As one of the members here likes to say, "Properly ground Everything"

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
It won't handle a direct strike, but it will help avoid induced surges and static buildup discharge. Induced surges can come from lightning strikes up to two miles away.

It's fairly well explained in the link you provided. As one of the members here likes to say, "Properly ground Everything"
Finally got my mount grounded. I used #6 solid copper and while I was at it I redid the Sat - cable - and phone line grounds as well. They had ran my satellite dish inside my house, which I was never big about....so now all my grounds are outside of house :) I think it improved my cam picture as well.. LOL

IMG_1081.JPG