Dahua - 24th Floor

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a friend who lives on the 24th floor. Someone has repeatedly started vandalizing their car.

There is line of sight from the 24th floor to the car.

I'm looking for a Dahua camera to mount on the exterior wall of the 24th floor and be able to watch over the car.

The building has not been cooperative on getting access to their CCTV (political issues) so installing one on the 24th floor seems the best options.

Looking for suggestions, I'm thinking bullet camera, something with a variable zoom probably.

Anyone got a suggestion?

Reaction score
My first attempt at an eagle nest monitor, I needed a long lens. I bought a Laview(Hikvision) bullet $70 and took the lens out carefully and resealed the camera. I then cut some pvc spacer and hot glued on a lens base . A 70 -200 mm range lens or similar gave me a really long lens. But I had to climb a tower to point and focus. And it was difficult to adjust inside the weather shield. So I switched to a good ptz. I have Axis, Hikvision and Dahua ptzs . I think for your application , this DIY would work great and inexpensive. I put a PVC shell around it and a clear cover over the front as I was pointing up. You could cover the back and leave the lens open as you’re pointed down. If you were closer, I’d give you mine to try. If interested, I’ll send some pictures.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the past I was testing the Hikvision DS-2DE4A320IW-DE, which is a PTZ that is 4.7 - 94mm. I was testing it from the 29th floor of a building and I could zoom down to the ground quite effectively and monitor people.

I'm familiar with the Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E, which can do from 5.3 - 64. Not sure if 64mm is going to be enough zoom range to monitor the parked car from the 24th floor. More zoom is always better! If there is a vari-focal from Dahua that has more then 64, please let me know - they have so many models (and who knows what is in production these days) it is difficult to find what I am looking for.

Reaction score
I think one of the PTZ's with 25x zoom or more would be more versatile. i would look into the dome cameras with 25x zoom although a little more expensive, thy would have a smaller foot print than the larger PTZ's. Good luck!

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Left field... would a front+rear dashcam with a lithium battery pack be an option? If the car gets driven daily, this might be worth considering.
We actually thought about that as one option. The car is not getting out much right now, given the current 'situation' in the world. It may still be an option though.

Reaction score
What field of view are you looking for? In terms of how many cars fill the view, ie the surrounding 4 cars , or just one car so any movement will trigger motion detect or to recognize their hats or hair style?
I can simulate a twenty story car view with my tower and driveway . I need best guess as to line of sight distance or as to floor spacing ( 24 times x) I use 3.3 meters. You say what you want to see and I’ll adjust camera and get degree of field. My cameras go to 36x or ~2 degrees field of view. This all can be done with math if your good at sensor size, focal length etc. I’m not.
Ptz Zoom ratios are field of view ratios , not magnification ratio like in 8x binoculars to normal unaided vision.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the view they would be after is as close as possible. If the focus could be just on the main car, plus a car on either side would be ideal.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm curious as to the angle that you'll be viewing. If its away from the building a bit then you might be able to get something other than the top of their heads. This is gonna be one helluva task for sure with it being such a long way. (I'm guessing it can be done though. It's just VERY different than what we normally encounter on here so this could be interesting!)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Dahua SD49225T-HN. This is the most cost-effective PTZ cam I know of that is available in the USA. You should be able to order one from @EMPIRETECANDY

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
"this one zooms to 36". very nice! but i would expect that of a $3k camera...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Left field... would a front+rear dashcam with a lithium battery pack be an option? If the car gets driven daily, this might be worth considering.
+1
add a small solar panel in the window, and a wifi antenna pointed straight up....

Reaction score
I notice you are in Hong Kong. Have you tried to model it using the IPVM calculator? You can put in camera height and choose different cameras to see the image.