Dahua 5231 - Can't Initialize

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ordered 5 5231's from @EMPIRETECANDY which I received yesterday (THANK YOU!). I'm trying to get them setup 1-by-1 here first with the latest firmware, and then modified to my specific IP addresses I want. However... I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I can't get them initialized. I get a notice saying...

NOTICE: Device in other segment cannot be initialized
At the moment, I have my laptop setup locally on 192.168.1.7, connected to a PoE switch, that the 5231 is also plugged into.

I've got the latest config tool installed on the laptop.

I click the search setting and have it search the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254

It comes back and shows the CAM was discovered

Type: IPC
Model: IP Camera
IP: 192.168.1.108
Version: 2.800.000005.0.R

I click the tick mark to select it, and then try hitting "Initialize" and it throws me the error above.... What am I doing wrong?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
type 192.168.1.108 on the webpage to activate the camera firstly, and then use dahua configtool to change the ip address that you need.
Clieck search setting, and put the right password that you set for the camera. Then the IP address can be changed
upload_2019-6-6_23-52-48.png
Here has a guide.
Dahua ConfigTool using Instruction

Gary99

n3wb
Reaction score
type 192.168.1.108 on the webpage to activate the camera firstly, and then use dahua configtool to change the ip address that you need.
Clieck search setting, and put the right password that you set for the camera. Then the IP address can be changed
View attachment 43195
Here has a guide.
Dahua ConfigTool using Instruction
Hi. I'm a newbie. I bought a Dahua IPC online Model DH-IPCHDW4433C-A. I've tried to initialize the camera on the web, but the browser can't find the IP address 192.168.1.108. Dahua's Config Tool 4.011 sees the IP camera - Status Unitialized. But when I try to initialize, enter new password etc. I get the following error: "Network Error, maybe timeout". My router and laptop IP is 192.168.2.xxx. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help walking me through this. Thanks!

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie. I bought a Dahua IPC online Model DH-IPCHDW4433C-A. I've tried to initialize the camera on the web, but the browser can't find the IP address 192.168.1.108. Dahua's Config Tool 4.011 sees the IP camera - Status Unitialized. But when I try to initialize, enter new password etc. I get the following error: "Network Error, maybe timeout". My router and laptop IP is 192.168.2.xxx. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help walking me through this. Thanks!
You need to be on the same subnet as the camera when configuring it. In otherwords, your IP needs to be 192.168.1.x to connect to the 192.168.1.108 default address, unless your router specifically has a route setup between the 192.168.2 subnet and the 192.168.1 subnet which I'm guessing it doesn't.

Easiest way... just plug the camera directly into a laptop or computer with an ethernet port directly (make sure it's powered), change your IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and leave the rest blank. Then open up a browser and enter: http://192.168.1.108. once it's initialized you can change the camera's IP address in the configuration page to 192.168.2.whatever you want, and plug it into the router where it should work.

For me, I've setup a CISCO SG500-28P (PoE commercial switch) rack mounted in the attic with ventilation, with a dedicated 10G trunk run down to my wiring closet where I keep my main router that it plugs into. From the switch, I run a single ethernet cable to each camera which is all that's needed to have it powered, but I had to configure each camera ahead of time so that it would be setup for the network. If you're running outdoor security cameras, I find this the easiest method.

Also, anyone else looking for good blue iris server options... the Dell M4600 laptop is a beast. I have a 4TB WD Purple drive hooked to it via USB 3.0, with a 2TB internal SSD, 32 GB Ram, It runs an i7 processor and it's running 5 cameras at the moment (i have 3 more to hook up) + Runs a Plex Media Server, and 2 VMs all at the same time... never gets over 20% utilization. You can pick up used / beat up M4600s (just make sure they have an i7 in them) for pretty cheap nowadays off ebay. They make great servers.

Gary99

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to be on the same subnet as the camera when configuring it. In otherwords, your IP needs to be 192.168.1.x to connect to the 192.168.1.108 default address, unless your router specifically has a route setup between the 192.168.2 subnet and the 192.168.1 subnet which I'm guessing it doesn't.

Easiest way... just plug the camera directly into a laptop or computer with an ethernet port directly (make sure it's powered), change your IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and leave the rest blank. Then open up a browser and enter: http://192.168.1.108. once it's initialized you can change the camera's IP address in the configuration page to 192.168.2.whatever you want, and plug it into the router where it should work.

For me, I've setup a CISCO SG500-28P (PoE commercial switch) rack mounted in the attic with ventilation, with a dedicated 10G trunk run down to my wiring closet where I keep my main router that it plugs into. From the switch, I run a single ethernet cable to each camera which is all that's needed to have it powered, but I had to configure each camera ahead of time so that it would be setup for the network. If you're running outdoor security cameras, I find this the easiest method.

Also, anyone else looking for good blue iris server options... the Dell M4600 laptop is a beast. I have a 4TB WD Purple drive hooked to it via USB 3.0, with a 2TB internal SSD, 32 GB Ram, It runs an i7 processor and it's running 5 cameras at the moment (i have 3 more to hook up) + Runs a Plex Media Server, and 2 VMs all at the same time... never gets over 20% utilization. You can pick up used / beat up M4600s (just make sure they have an i7 in them) for pretty cheap nowadays off ebay. They make great servers.
Thanks usafltg! I was able to go to 192.168.1.108 and initialize the camera. Can I change the IP address using the browser under the TCP/IP menu? It looks like my wireless IP address is 192.168.2.xxx but this is a POE camera and my wired ethernet ip is 169.254.155.xxx and gateway 255.255.0.0. So do I change the IP address to 169.254.155. xxx Or do I need to us configtool? Thanks again.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks usafltg! I was able to go to 192.168.1.108 and initialize the camera. Can I change the IP address using the browser under the TCP/IP menu? It looks like my wireless IP address is 192.168.2.xxx but this is a POE camera and my wired ethernet ip is 169.254.155.xxx and gateway 255.255.0.0. So do I change the IP address to 169.254.155. xxx Or do I need to us configtool? Thanks again.
169.254.155.xx is the standard IP address assigned to an Ethernet card in Windows when it’s not hooked up to a DHCP server. Your router is a DHCP server, unless you have done some super fancy networking configuration, but I’m guessing by your questioning that this is not the case.

Are you planning to hook the camera directly into your router via an Ethernet cable? If so, your router will be serving out DHCP assigned IP addresses on the 192.168.2 subnet regardless of whether it’s a wireless or physically connected device. For sake of simplicity, if you can get to the webpage of the camera, I would configure it to a set IP address of 192.168.2.something. In my network environment I have mine all set with static IP addresses ranging from .11 - .25 so I know where they all are. But you can assign whatever you want as long as it’s not already taken by another device. Just remember the IP you set it to. After you’ve set it, you can then plug it directly into your router and you should be able to access it via the IP you assigned from any device within your network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary99

n3wb
Reaction score
169.254.155.xx is the standard IP address assigned to an Ethernet card in Windows when it’s not hooked up to a DHCP server. Your router is a DHCP server, unless you have done some super fancy networking configuration, but I’m guessing by your questioning that this is not the case.

Are you planning to hook the camera directly into your router via an Ethernet cable? If so, your router will be serving out DHCP assigned IP addresses on the 192.168.2 subnet regardless of whether it’s a wireless or physically connected device. For sake of simplicity, if you can get to the webpage of the camera, I would configure it to a set IP address of 192.168.2.something. In my network environment I have mine all set with static IP addresses ranging from .11 - .25 so I know where they all are. But you can assign whatever you want as long as it’s not already taken by another device. Just remember the IP you set it to. After you’ve set it, you can then plug it directly into your router and you should be able to access it via the IP you assigned from any device within your network.

You are guessing well..... No I plan to hook it up to an NVR. Should I still set the IP address to 192.168.2. something?

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your NVR will most likely get a assigned a DHCP value from your router then, assuming you’re planning to hook the nvr into your network. The NVR will also act as a DHCP server, so... in theory you could just set the camera to assign itself via DHCP, or you could assign it a static IP. It’s possible your NVR might subnet itself by default (in other words, takes an IP of 192.169.2.something... but then assigns each of the cameras a different IP subnet... say like 192.168.5.something). Since you’re hooking it to an NVR then your safest bet is to configure each camera to use a DHCP assigned IP address and leave the guessing out for now.

Gary99

n3wb
Reaction score
Your NVR will most likely get a assigned a DHCP value from your router then, assuming you’re planning to hook the nvr into your network. The NVR will also act as a DHCP server, so... in theory you could just set the camera to assign itself via DHCP, or you could assign it a static IP. It’s possible your NVR might subnet itself by default (in other words, takes an IP of 192.169.2.something... but then assigns each of the cameras a different IP subnet... say like 192.168.5.something). Since you’re hooking it to an NVR then your safest bet is to configure each camera to use a DHCP assigned IP address and leave the guessing out for now.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are guessing well..... No I plan to hook it up to an NVR. Should I still set the IP address to 192.168.2. something?
Another way to change your camera address, change your address of your computer to a static address, something like 192.168.1.100 (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/) and connect your computer directly to the camera with a network cable. Then access it via the web browser interface (192.168.1.108) and change it to either DHCP and let your router assign a IP address (you can reserve an IP address in your router, see below), or modify the static IP address to your 192.168.2.xxx range. Then change your computer back to auto assign IP address, and connect the cam and computer to your router.

If your router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses to your network devices, you have a couple options:

1) Check the MAC address of the camera (see if it's on the label, something like 76:00:B3:E5:0F), then in the router, use the MAC address to assign a 192.168.2.xxx IP address to it, this will reserve this address. If power goes out and your router and/or camera reboots, it will be assigned the same address (i.e netgear router: How do I reserve an IP address on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support).

2) Check your router and see what address range is used to connect your devices. For example, if your router assigns DHCP addresses in the range of 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.254, then you could try statically assign your camera to something under 192.168.2.100, i.e. 192.168.2.90 and check to see if you can reach the cam.