cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question. Is anyone using WDR during the night and actually seeing the image adjust like WDR should?

I've played around with it in the past on all of my turrets and it didn't seem change the picture at all. So I ended up using either BLC or HLC. It wasn't until I enabled WDR on my PTZ did I notice the image was much brighter compared to the 5231R-Z.

That got me thinking is WDR even working on the 5231R-Z at night?

Please view the below image. All photos were taken with the IR off on all cameras. Can any explanation be given as to why the PTZ shows a dramatic difference with the WDR only set to 40 yet the 5231R-Z on 100 shows no difference?

WDR works perfectly during the day. At night on my SD59225U-HNI PTZ if I turn WDR up to 100 the image blacks out and doesn't return to any usable image (expected), do the same thing on the 5231R-Z and everything is clearly visible, no change at all.

Points to note:

• Before anyone says the view is terrible. I purposely zoomed both cameras to eliminate the background as it does nothing to demonstrate the problem.

• IR was purposely disabled as the IR on the PTZ is more much powerful than the 5231 and wanted to have a fair comparison.

• I understand WDR isn't for everyone and i'm not hoping it helps out in any meaningful way.

What I'm trying to do is ask the following questions.

1) Is WDR actually working on the 5231R-Z at night?

2) If it's working. What's the explanation for the large difference in brightness between the SD59225U-HNI and the 5231R-Z?

The image below is 100% full frame, not cropped. I encourage others with 5231R-Z to run their own tests reply with your findings.

wdr-tests-5231rz-vs-sd59225uhni.jpg

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't own either but they could have different sensors IMX290 and IMX291.
You may be correct, hard to confirm as I know the 5231R-Z uses the IMX291. There is a mention of the SD49225TT-HN (model under SD59225U-HNI) having an IMX290 so perhaps that is the reason for the large differences.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've also found power cycling the cameras after changing settings helps, the HNI some times needs a kick in the pants before it changes it's exposure mode. (Aperture/gain/etc)

Could be a similar issue with the R-Z?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I set it to 100 and power cycled the camera, no real change. I can see the picture gain a small amount of brightness but adjusting the slider results in no change, it could be set to 1 or 100.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just stumbled on this topic after searching on this forum on WDR, BLC and HLC (to figure out if I should use it, which one of them and whether during the day and/or at night).
I just played around with the settings and it looks like WDR is only working on the 5231R-ZE (I have the -ZE, but the -Z should be pretty much the same) when IR is enabled.
If I have IR off and then play with WDR; it does not change the image.
If I have IR on (SmartIR of Manual), WDR does change the image.

I bit late on the response, but it's something...