Dahua added second drive but didn't increase storage or playback capacity

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I added another 4TB drive to my Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and everything is functioning. But I noticed several days later that the recording on the second drive is still 0/4TB and the playback capacity is still about 12 or 13 days ( 8 2MP IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras h.256). Attached are the screen shots of the storage configuration.

Not sure why the second drive still shows 0 bytes written and playback still showing only 2 weeks of recorded playback.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nick

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It just happened to catch a point where drive #1 had just begun to rewrite and won’t switch to #2 until the first one is full again?

just a wild ass guess

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought since I allocated four of the eight cameras to second hard disk (group 2) as in the first attachment above, they would start writing to the second drive.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh beyond my knowledge. I’ve never set cameras to specific separate hd groups.

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You showed screenshots from HDD Manager and Advanced but what about the Record page? Then if you are using motion detect recording, is everything correct on the Event > Video Detection page with the proper record channel selected for each camera. I have somehow messed that up before by having all channels record to the same channel. Last, why don't you use the latest 4.0 firmware that @EMPIRETECANDY just posted? 4.0 AI version NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.2.R.20191101

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought since I allocated four of the eight cameras to second hard disk (group 2) as in the first attachment above, they would start writing to the second drive.
In a perfect firmware world that should be the case, however sometimes when new hardware is added, cameras included, you might need to go to your settings and set recording back to default, Dahua firmware can be buggy but once you get it set it usually stays running pretty good. Most of the time its user induced ya know too many click click here and click click there and then you usually do not know what happened when shit don't work. :smash:

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You showed screenshots from HDD Manager and Advanced but what about the Record page? Then if you are using motion detect recording, is everything correct on the Event > Video Detection page with the proper record channel selected for each camera. I have somehow messed that up before by having all channels record to the same channel. Last, why don't you use the latest 4.0 firmware that @EMPIRETECANDY just posted? 4.0 AI version NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.2.R.20191101
Attached is the Record page. I am running V3.216.0000004.0, Build Date: 2018-12-29. As a retired IT Analyst, I believe in "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it". I always wait before leaping into new firmware unless there is a real security reason to do so.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, using the web interface and SmartPSS both showed 0 bytes written to the second drive. I just rebooted the NVR and now the second drive shows that the NVR has been writing data to the drive.

Case closed!!!!

Attachments

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Attached is the Record page. I am running V3.216.0000004.0, Build Date: 2018-12-29. As a retired IT Analyst, I believe in "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it". I always wait before leaping into new firmware unless there is a real security reason to do so.
If you ask me, all of the version 3 firmware's are broke. I hate using the chrome app or installing browser plugins to view video from the nvr. You also get some of the new AI functionality.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have zero problems viewing across the web without plugins. As for all of the new AI functionality, version 3.216 handles everything I need for my 8 cameras.