Dahua and choppy video?

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR5208-8p-4ks2
SD59225-hn
SD49225-hn

I have everything set up and running with the latest firmwares, did a complete factory reset. All seems to be working.

This happens on playback, live streaming, on nvr or web.
The video is jerky on fast moving objects. (Cars driving by) it seems to skip frames when a car appears and then smooths out for a bit. When traffic stops and then starts again the video skips again. It seems to happen more when something suddenly appears.
I have tried every FPS, bitrate, I frame, codec, cbr/vbr default, real-time or fluent buffer.
the best I can get is with 1080p, h.264,30fps,I frame 60 (matching the iframe to FPS is worse) vbr =6 bit rate on the highest setting (5376) and default buffer.
The NVR CPU is at 2-3% usage and memory at 38%
Network speed is 150 down, 12 up
I am certainly not overloading the network or NVR.
Is there a setting, recommendations or something else I should be looking at?

For security not that big a deal but I am trying to get smooth high quality video to capture some wildlife for the kids, and yeah me too!:)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR5208-8p-4ks2
SD59225-hn
SD49225-hn

I have everything set up and running with the latest firmwares, did a complete factory reset. All seems to be working.

This happens on playback, live streaming, on nvr or web.
The video is jerky on fast moving objects. (Cars driving by) it seems to skip frames when a car appears and then smooths out for a bit. When traffic stops and then starts again the video skips again. It seems to happen more when something suddenly appears.
I have tried every FPS, bitrate, I frame, codec, cbr/vbr default, real-time or fluent buffer.
the best I can get is with 1080p, h.264,30fps,I frame 60 (matching the iframe to FPS is worse) vbr =6 bit rate on the highest setting (5376) and default buffer.
The NVR CPU is at 2-3% usage and memory at 38%
Network speed is 150 down, 12 up
I am certainly not overloading the network or NVR.
Is there a setting, recommendations or something else I should be looking at?

For security not that big a deal but I am trying to get smooth high quality video to capture some wildlife for the kids, and yeah me too!:)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem with nvr4208-8p-4ks2 and 7 hdw4431m dome cameras. The only difference is that playback is ok by web interface, all the rest is the same. I wanted to send Dahua a report but i wasn't able find their email adress...Please keep updated if you (or someone else) find a solution.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using IVS? When a tripwire is crossed, there can be a short lag.
Can you connect the cam to a laptop? If so, do the symptoms change? This test could isolate the problem to the camera or NVR.
Did you make your own cables? How long are the runs? How many co/nnections along the run?
Try a continual ping of the cams and NVR. Any erratic ping responses

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you connect the cam to a laptop? If so, do the symptoms change? This test could isolate the problem to the camera or NVR.
Did you make your own cables? How long are the runs? How many co/nnections along the run?
I'm using IVS but (in mine at least) the problem happens even if nothing is crossing the line. The strange thing is that in web interface this problem doesn't exist. How can i connect the camera to a laptot and then let it record? because the problem is with playback not with realtime view.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry what you mean with "continual ping"?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The strange thing is that in web interface this problem doesn't exist.
I'll take that to mean the web interface to the NVR, not a web interface to the cam.
Good info.

How can i connect the camera to a laptot and then let it record?
Connect the laptop to the same subnet of the cams, and surf in to the cam directly, using the cam's ip addr.

But let's put that test on hold, based on the info in your last post. And I withdraw my questions about cable length, connections, and if you terminated the RJ45 ends. Smooth playback in the nvr's web interface indicates cabling isn't the problem.

When in playback mode on the NVR, do the symptoms change if you're playing back one cam, or multiple (eg: 4) cams. Displaying multiple cam streams simultaneously is harder on the processor. My NVR struggles with a 4 cam playback. No jerkiness, but it's like I was playing in 1/2 speed mode.

If you download a clip from the NVR, is it jerky? I suspect not, since using the NVR web interface, you get smooth video. However, this simple test might yield some clues.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If you disconnect one cam, do the symptoms get reduced?
ie: one cam is easier for the NVR to manage, vs 2.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll take that to mean the web interface to the NVR, not a web interface to the cam.
Good info.

Connect the laptop to the same subnet of the cams, and surf in to the cam directly, using the cam's ip addr.

But let's put that test on hold, based on the info in your last post. And I withdraw my questions about cable length, connections, and if you terminated the RJ45 ends. Smooth playback in the nvr's web interface indicates cabling isn't the problem.

When in playback mode on the NVR, do the symptoms change if you're playing back one cam, or multiple (eg: 4) cams. Displaying multiple cam streams simultaneously is harder on the processor. My NVR struggles with a 4 cam playback. No jerkiness, but it's like I was playing in 1/2 speed mode.

If you download a clip from the NVR, is it jerky? I suspect not, since using the NVR web interface, you get smooth video. However, this simple test might yield some clues.
I forgot to say that in mine the preview live is ok, the only problem is with playback in the nvr interface (web interface is ok). It's like the video plays normally for 2 seconds and then go backward of half second continously.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The quality from these cameras at Nelly’s makes my dahua look like garbage. I wonder if these are connected to an NVR he said in the video they were exported clips.
I just may have to buy some of these.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you disconnect one cam, do the symptoms get reduced?
ie: one cam is easier for the NVR to manage, vs 2.
Same regardless of how many cameras. Exported or playback video is the same as I see live (choppy)

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 100ft run to the camera of cat 6 udp pure copper terminated myself, tested fine. Not close to any electrical runs etc.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Pmedicij: I just realized you're not the Original Poster.
Albertolt: You have similar problems, but it seems there are differences.

Symptoms:
Playback:

--- Web interface to NVR: no problem. Web browser video is smooth
--- Native interface in NVR: choppy video using monitor directly connected to NVR
--- Exported clips from NVR: Choppy. (Please post this video)
--- Disabling MD reduces symptom

Live Viewing:
--- Web interface to NVR: no problem. Web browser video is smooth, with 1 or 6 cameras streams.
--- Native interface in NVR: no problem
-- etc

Guys, if we're going to troubleshoot 2 different problems (though they're similar), we need to be clear on the symptoms and test results.

Maybe each of you should fill out a "Symptoms Table", like above. That will help others who may provide help.

Thanks,
Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I forgot to say that in mine the preview live is ok, the only problem is with playback in the nvr interface (web interface is ok). It's like the video plays normally for 2 seconds and then go backward of half second continously.
Check the time stamps. Compare the time stamp in the recorded video to the time shown in the plaback timeline, and on the alarms that tripped. I had playback problems when one cam didn't get updated for Daylight Savings time.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My symptoms are :
choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly. This happens to camera connected either NVR or web ui in live view.
Playback is better when exported.
It does it all the time playback, live view, exported during an IVS event.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My symptoms are :
choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly. This happens to camera connected either NVR or web ui in live view.
Playback is better when exported.
It does it all the time playback, live view, exported during an IVS event.
I recommend changing your video encoding stream settings. Your bitrate is probably spiking too high for some component in the chain of equipment to handle, so it misses frames.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
PmediciJ,

Thanks for the reply.

Personally, finding symptoms by reading a paragraph is trickier then using a table of symptoms.
Please don't expect us all to read paragraphs, absorb them, and then remember them for upcoming interactions. Especially since this thread has two people with similar problems.
Please redline or expand your symptoms in the table below. This will make it easier for me, and others to quickly jump in with ideas. Let's do this efficiently.

PmediciJ Symptoms:
Playback:
--- Web interface to NVR: choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly.
--- Native interface in NVR: choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly., using monitor directly connected to NVR
--- Exported clips from NVR: choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects during IVS events, but problem is not as extreme. (Please post this video)
--- Disabling MD reduces symptom?

Live Viewing:
--- Web interface to NVR: choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly.
--- Native interface in NVR: choppy / jerky motion on fast moving objects that appear rapidly.
-- etc

Grazie!

Fastb

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
-You really don't need high FPS, it just wastes storage.

-Test each camera independently. I know this was suggested earlier but If you tried it, I missed the explanation.

-Plug a camera into a PoE switch with your computer put both on the same subnet and ping it continuously for a a few minutes, "ping -t ipaddress" in the cmd prompt. hit ctrl-c to stop, look at the summary. Also try pinging the NVR. You're looking for packet loss and big variations between the min, max, and avg ping time.

-Check your WDR and Noise reduction settings, try turning them down.

-Check your exposure settings.

-Turn off UPnP on the camera, nvr, and your router. Make sure you aren't forwarding ports to any of them. Hacked cameras being used in a bot net could be slow as molasses.

-Reset the cameras to their default settings

Last edited:

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pmedicij: I just realized you're not the Original Poster.
Albertolt: You have similar problems, but it seems there are differences.

Symptoms:
Playback:

--- Web interface to NVR: no problem. Web browser video is smooth
--- Native interface in NVR: choppy video using monitor directly connected to NVR
--- Exported clips from NVR: Choppy. (Please post this video)
--- Disabling MD reduces symptom

Live Viewing:
--- Web interface to NVR: no problem. Web browser video is smooth, with 1 or 6 cameras streams.
--- Native interface in NVR: no problem
-- etc

Guys, if we're going to troubleshoot 2 different problems (though they're similar), we need to be clear on the symptoms and test results.

Maybe each of you should fill out a "Symptoms Table", like above. That will help others who may provide help.

Thanks,
Fastb
Yes thanks, you'r right we have different problems with just a common sympthom. I put a post about my problem few days ago but i didn't get any suggestion that's why i joint this discussion. Anyway i will try to put another post enclosing a video of the jerk playback.