Dahua and Hikvision the same?

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, I done a search but didn't find anything.

Is Dahua and Hikvision cameras the same just rebranded?

If not which brand do you prefer and why?

Thanks

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, I done a search but didn't find anything.

Is Dahua and Hikvision cameras the same just rebranded?

If not which brand do you prefer and why?

Thanks
No - they are different manufactures. As for preference - thats a Ford vs. Chevy type question.

Personally I'm an HIK fan, however, I've seen some really nice things coming outta Dahua this year.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying it. Recently seen dahua popping up more around where I live so was curious.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying it. Recently seen dahua popping up more around where I live so was curious.
The new dahua startlight varifocal turret for 170 far surpasses anything hikvision has to offer at this time..its not even close.

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between these two brands for PoE cameras and wanted to know if Hikvision had any similar technology to Dahua's smart IVS detection features?

I know Hik has their range of smart IPC cameras but this does not cover the more economical models. I am thinking of running a server with BI installed but don't know which camera would be better.

Specifically, does Hikvision have any tripwire feature that could be setup?

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you pick a camera on Hikvision's website and drill into it, it should show you all of the different alarms.

On the Hikvision I had (DS-2CD2132F-I-2.8MM), tripwire was called "Line Crossing", and it worked pretty good. For me, Dahua's implementation seems to be a little better because sudden light changes don't cause it to fire. I had a "Line Crossing" setup on my front porch with my Hikvision. At night, when the porch light would switch on/off, it'd trip, which would cause the Hik to email me some pictures of what was happening. The Dahua I replaced with Hik with doesn't do that when the porch light comes on/off.

Here's what the Hikvision website shows for that camera:

Alarm Trigger: | Line Crossing, Intrusion Detection, Motion detection, Dynamic analysis, Tampering alarm, Network disconnect , IP address conflict, Storage exception

So I guess if you have any question about a specific model, just look it up on Hik's website and see it says by the Alarm Trigger line.

Also, I don't have any BI experience, but do research to make sure it can record when Line Crossing alarms happen. I know with regular NVRs, that's not the case if the camera is from a different manufacturer than the NVR. For example, A Dahua NVR with Hikvision cameras attached will not record Alarm Triggers (other than motion) from the Hik cameras. Same with Hik NVRs and Dahua cameras...

ANILE8

n3wb
Reaction score
Arhh, ok now I see where to look for these features. Thanks for explaining what I was missing.

So the smart triggers work fairly well with both Hik and Dahua. My budget is around US$140/cam and I wanted to go for a 5MP turret (DS-2CD2352-I) or bullet (DS-2CD2T52) but neither have the Audio/Alarm IO feature. Which I wanted because I was thinking I could maybe run a PIR sensor at a later stage if the smart motion software is not working very well.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have some Dahua and rebranded Hikvision cameras. The Hikvision line crossing allows definition of a single straight line. The Dahua cameras allow 4 multi-segment lines to be defined. They are roughly equivalent cameras in the high-end vs. low-end sense.