dahua audio out not working?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so when i got the cam the audio out was working fine using amp plus a big speaker.that was inside the house right next to the router.when i installed it in the driveway now the audio setup seems weird.i connected the trumper speaker to mini amp and sound is way too low.u have to put your ear to the speaker to hear it.i then tried with big speaker and cant get nothing.i tried 2 different speaker wires.driveway and house are connected using ubiquiti antennas.i also tried connecting directly to cam using a router in the driveway.same results.i tried audio out(dahua cam) to L and R inputs of mini amp.any ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0LMG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231916951699?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051GLIP4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be.i plugged in iPhone to the amp and played music using aux cable.that works.i guess u get what u pay for.my brother's mini bluetooth bose speaker sounds better than that amp.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
mando209,

First, congrats on getting the AUDIO OUT signal from you cam to work. I was unable to do that, even when cam was wired to the NVR just 6 ft away.

Second, it sounds like the only difference between your indoor and outdoor setup is the length of the CAT6 cable (when you used the router in the driveway).
That's strange.

Maybe pull the setup inside, and use the long outdoor cable while inside? ie: duplicate your entire outdoor setup indoors.

As nayr pointed point, it could be grounding. That may have changed on the move outside. 12V gnd, amp gnd, and cam gnd need to be tied together.

I'm outta ideas. Pics might give us some hints/clues....

Fastb

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cam's gnd wire is connected to c in the pir sensor.i put electrical tape around those 2 wires..i ordered that kemo mo33n for $10.i kind of don't want to take down the cam.its inside bird house on top of the post.will try to take pics tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Mando209,

That amp looks like it would work. But some consideration is needed.

One:
Power: 12W power IF you use a 16V power supply and use 4 ohm speaker.
The amp's Operating voltage is 6 to 16V. For your application, powering it with the same 12V supply powering your camera would be the simplest. So you'd run it at 75%.
Your horn speaker is likely 8ohm, twice the resistance. Meaning half the current from the amp. Less power to the speaker...

Two:
Your horn speaker handles 200 Watts, if memory serves.
Assuming your amp will really provide 8 to 9 Watts (using 12V supply), the speaker output volume may be low.
ie: how much sound will a 200W speaker crank out if powered by 8 to 9 W? (about 5% of the speaker rating)

Conclusion: You may not get the volume you're looking for....

Three:
Is changing the amp the solution? I thought the current amp worked fine when the setup was used in the house.....

A puzzle....

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The speakers specs look like a better match to a 8 or 9 watt amp.
I'm not sure your existing speaker or your existing amp is the problem
Changing the system components is a way to troubleshoot however you have to buy more stuff. It would be good too find the root cause if possible before buying new equipment but that's just me.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Mando209,

Another wrinkle in finding root cause is the PIR unit and how it's connected into your bird house setup. (esp grounding & power consumption)
Maybe the 12V supply may be getting overtaxed?
I assume the 12V supply powers: camera, amplifier, PIR, and mic (for two way audio). And maybe an auxiliary IR illuminator?
So add up the power consumption of all devices connected to the 12V supply, and compare to the power supply's output capability.
And/or check the 12V supply at the amp input. Is 12V really being provided to your amp?

I assume the PIR output is connected to the cam's EXTERNAL ALARM INPUT line. Are you seeing the PIR alarm event at the NVR?
Do you hear audio at the NVR from the mic connected to the cam's AUDIO INPUT line? In my testing, audio input works fine. I hear audio from the mic connected to the cam. I can listen through the NVR web UI, through SmartPSS, through gDMSS on my android, and when PLAYBACK previously recorded footage. But I was never able to get the cam's AUDIO OUT to work. Even with ear buds, which don't need a lot of power, and presumably I'd hear something, even with the low pre-amp audio out signal levels.

Fastb

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i dont have nvr.i have sd card for now.the mini amp came with it's own 12vdc power supply.at the moment that power supply is connected to the bosch pir sensor.mini amp is off for now.cam is powered by tp link poe switch.i just checked the pic i took when it was working.it was a yellow ethernet cable which is about 3 feet.i dont have audio in yet.pir events work good.it could be the length of the ethernet cable like your setup or ethernet cable on the post is inches away from lamp power.

[h=1][/h]

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
1) Cam power & gnd is from tp link poe switch.
2) Amp uses the pwr & gnd from a separate power supply.
It sounds like the only common ground between the two might be through the RCA jacks that connect cam AUDIO OUT to the amp's AUDIO IN.
The audio cable isn't meant to provide the ground connection. An example (which dates me) is the hum when you hooked up a turntable to an amp. Using the seperate gnd wire was critical to tie the grounds of the two components together.

When the sytem worked in the house, you used a 3ft e-net cable.
When the system is installed outside, it uses;
a) the wifi antenna range extender you have, and/or
b) a (wired) router you placed in the driveway.
Those two setups have very different grounding architectures compared to the functional setup in your house.
The differences may be where the problem lies.....

You say the "ethernet cable on the post is inches away from lamp power"
AC noise can interfere with IP traffic, esp if the lamp you mention is fluorescent.
However, if camera video appears fine, then the digital audio on that same e-net cable shouldn't be affected by the power line.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so u say to ground cam+amp+trumpet speaker.just connect a thin wire from cam's gnd wire to one of trumpet's speaker wire and on the amp?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Mando209,

Ground on the assorted power supplies in the bird house should be tied together.
Then the camera, amp, and WiFi range extender will have a common ground.
The speaker should only be connected to the amp. Specifically, the + and - speaker leads get tied to the amp. If RCA jack is used for connecting to the spkr to amp, then you're all set.

Fastb