Dahua auto tracking ZOOM INSTRUCTIONS

steve hollis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I do hope this post fits in with the subject of installations, cos this part of the forum seems to be where most people read and respond to - and in a sense, I'm still trying to install it!
Treated myself to a Dahua SD52C225U-HNI from Andy and now one month on, I think it's the best camera I've ever bought.
Live on a corner and have to admit I have programmed and re-programmed the settings on IVS probably 100 times - and that's probably a day lol, trying tripwires or intrusion boxes to get the best results. And now, as a vehicle approaches down the street - the camera will pick it up and follow it around the roundabout on the corner of my house and then up the hill. It may then pick a vehicle driving down the hill switch to that and follow that back.

So all good so far but the one thing I'm missing and I've searched and searched everywhere, is to do with the auto tracking, how do you make it zoom in more to catch more detail?

I've hunted high and low, seen videos on YouTube of a Dahua PTZ auto tracking, zoom in from the top of a tower block - mine will only zoom in very slightly, watched every auto tracking setup videos - yes I'm doing everything correctly, read about how the minimum maximum detection sizes might affect the level of zoom - it does slightly but if you're trying to zoom in on a vehicle up the street and you decrease the size of the detection box then it just might zoom in a little further, but in reality you've probably made the box a bit too small and it tends not to pick it up. Then I read about global settings, but I can't find any global settings on my camera. There is a global setting on my Dahua NVR but when I click that it tells me that the global settings are for another 2 cameras that I have and not my PTZ.
Dahua wiki has various instructions but they're not up to date, the older software was more complicated, but may have done the job better. The newest software instructions seem almost too simplified and miss out any chance of altering other parameters.

I hope everybody is following this ok and I'm making sense?

There's some good posts on this camera with the instructions coming back to people who have asked previous things, being told 'just play with it'. Well a month in and I have played with it - an awful lot.
Well this was only meant to be a few lines long. WHAT AM I MISSING - I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING?
If anybody could help out and point me in the right direction of how to get this camera to zoom in more when auto tracking, that would be great.
Many thanks
Steve

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Steve,

There is no secret to get the Auto Tracking (AT) to work better. It looks like you have done the right thing by trying all different settings to see what works the best. There is no one solution to get it to zoom better.
I do not have the 52C225U but as with all of Dahua's PTZ HNI's, the AT will surely get you frustrated.

I have pulled my hair out many times over the AT issue and have learned that it is hit or miss.
I can have it track a rabbit for 10 mins at night and then miss a person in bright daylight.

The global settings were in the earlier firmware and not for every camera. You use to be able to get there via web interface into the camera. There was a tab by the IVS rule making screen but they have removed most of them. Some show up in PSS,
I have had no luck with the NVR global.
At one time it seemed to make a difference but it may have been just psychological ... lol

One thing that I have found is that - after making many changes trying to get AT to work better, if I do a factory reset on the camera and start over, it seems to do better.
The only real solution - don't rely on AT. A fixed camera zoomed into the location of interest is the best practice. ( and I know it's not the solution, just reality )

What I have done for some of my PTZ's is to make a preset to a zoomed in location -with cam X. Then call it up from another cameras's IVS trip point under PTZ Activation. And then cam X will goto the zoomed in location.
This is available under the NVR, IVS, trigger setting after you draw a rule. I like to use the camera's web service to set camera settings vs the NVR.

Good Luck .....

steve hollis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Jmcu.
Thanks for your reply.
I find it incredible that a manufacturer can make something and just have basic instructions with no guidance on the finer points of its product. If this guidance does exist, then it certainly seems to be top secret or at least not translated into English.
I read with interest your idea of making a preset in a zoomed in location - actually read it a few hours ago and can't quite get my head around it. Is it possible - probably just for me, just to go back over it again, in slightly simpler steps lol

Reaction score
Hi Jmcu.
Thanks for your reply.
I find it incredible that a manufacturer can make something and just have basic instructions with no guidance on the finer points of its product. If this guidance does exist, then it certainly seems to be top secret or at least not translated into English.
I read with interest your idea of making a preset in a zoomed in location - actually read it a few hours ago and can't quite get my head around it. Is it possible - probably just for me, just to go back over it again, in slightly simpler steps lol
The fixed camera is the best option, with the event on that camera directing your PTZ to move to a preset. The Dahua cams are not designed for the average homweowner. It's assumed you have either training already, or are an installer with access to real training. Otherwise, it's learn as you go as most of us have realized. Don't get discouraged, keep reading/researching and you will eventually learn what you need to.

Last edited:

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I made you a video of how to trigger a PTZ event with another camera. The vids are about 1 second out of synch that I pulled off the NVR but you should get the idea.

steve hollis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's absolutely fantastic of you thanks It will come in extremely useful for where we live. I'll give this technique a test drive in the next day or two. I've got another same model PTZ camera coming in the next couple of weeks so using another to trigger I think will be very helpful.
Thanks once again
Regards Steve

steve hollis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ps that's true dedication to the art of ipcctv, hope you didn't freeze too much lol

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks once again
Regards Steve
Your welcome, hope it can help with your set up... one thing I forgot to show is -
I set a idle motion / time task on the action cam to go back to the original location that is preset #1.

Last edited:

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
could you tell me how did you do and what material did you use
I did it with dahua 1A203TNI and a SD6AE830V-HNI - PTZ cameras on a dahua NVR 5208 4ks2 by logging into the NVR with Internet Explorer.

www.ptvc.ch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you it's great, thank you for your help, I have a camera config question, on blue iris, like having the best picture I have 3 dahua, could you tell me if it's right? Should you give a different port to the dahua camera? Thank you very much for your help

upload_2019-2-20_8-40-41.pngupload_2019-2-20_8-41-1.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any difficulty going back to Preset 1?

HackitZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry just posted to find this post later.
great work and thanks for sharing. spent the last 6 hours changing settings and googling every setting. had enough for tonight.