Dahua best microSD cards - suggestions?

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,
I saw only one thread on microSD cards...so am asking:
I recently bought this Dahua
IPC-HDPW4220F-W http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdpw4220f-w-1206.html
and need to get a reliable microSD card up to 128GB for recording.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdpw4220f-w-1206.html
Any suggestions of what has worked well for you?
Do certain cards work better for Dahua?
Does Dahua support UHS-2?
Do 68GB really work better than 128GB?
Will 68GB really cover ~3 days worth of sporadic motion triggered video at high res (this is only monitoring door traffic with probably an average of 10 in/outs a day)?

many thanks
HJ

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdpw4220f-w-1206.html

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not just get a NVR or am I missing something with the SD card?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even if you have an NVR; onboard SD is a great backup video storage.. if your house burns down or someone steals a video recorder then good chance you could recover some video left on the camera

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I may add, you will want a card that has MLC nand for constant writing to the sd card. Trascend and Sandisk both make high endurance memory card for DVR/dashcam applications but unfortunately only tops out at 64GB. The high end Samsung/Sandisk models should also use MLC though I'm not 100% which models specifically.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay which is what I thought it was being used for, in this particular post he is using it as the primary for recording and not as a secondary back up ??

Also how would you know if it stopped working or failed as the back up? Say it got fried or whatever, and the NVR still worked, how would you know anything about the SD?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can be notified via email if the internal storage fails:
Screenshot 2016-12-14 14.35.53.png

Some people use it as primary storage while they are still building there surveillance system; most people here piece it together slowly as they can.

Some nicer NVR's have an automatic restore function; where if the NVR misses some footage but the camera records it locally; the NVR will transfer the missing files off the camera and recover the lost time.. (like on reboots or whatever)

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay that is what I thought it would be the secondary and makes perfect sense. Having not opened all my stuff up and hooked it all up, I have no idea on what displays per the NVR ect ie your screen shot. But in due time I will have time to get it all in and working.

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I got the Samsung Evo Plus 128gb per NAYR's suggestion. Sadly I am currently battling with Aliexpress/Alibaba as the camera never showed up but they billed me instantly - so I still can't even use the card. Man, what a hassle. I am actually a shareholder and invested cause I thought they would be close to Amazon.... NOT! Time to sell....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly I am currently battling with Aliexpress/Alibaba as the camera never showed up but they billed me instantly
I'm puzzled by this - my experience (maybe a dozen purchases) is that the Aliexpress Escrow arrangement doesn't pay the seller until you acknowledge delivery and confirm the product is OK.

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
That may be but they billed me right away nonetheless.... I will post with any new info but for now I have to contest payment with Amex (not so bad - except I really needed to get this up by Jan 1 so tried to get Aliexpress to at least tell me if it was on its way).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So - did you acknowledge delivery and therefore release the payment from Aliexpress to the seller?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for some MicroSDs too, I'd imagine these recommendations apply to securitycams also..?

SD Cards We Recommend for Dash Cameras
Yes.

Without going off topic I recently replaced my dash cameras card with a 32GB Transcend High Endurance, but as @doretau pointed out it tops out at 64GB. Keep in mind, like everything they won't last forever and they will eventually need to be replaced.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah codec and chip size can play a big role in longevity too, I get about 1 day of h265 on a 32gb, so 365 rewrites a year.. I get about 4 days of on a 128GB, so 91 rewrites a year.. if both cards can do say ~1500 rewrites for MLC Memory, you'll get 4 years of life out of a 32gb, and 16 years out of a 128gb..

the article makes lots of good points, Ive never warranty claimed a flash cards so I dont care about there opinion on Samsung and the loophole they left in the warranty for security use.. If its a >$100 HDD I'll warranty it, otherwise a $25-$50 card just replace as long as it lasts a reasonable time, if it fails right away I can take it back to person I bought it from, amazon will do it within 90 days no questions asked.. If you avoid SanDisk shit and bottom of the barrel flash they seem to be pretty good.