Dahua Camera Audio Noise

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua IPC-HDW4300C camera that suddenly developed noisy audio. The noise presents itself as a snapping and cracleling superimposed over the audio. Has anyone experienced such a problem? I have replaced the faulty camera with another of the same model. It is a shame to throw a camera away that still has beautiful video.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick search shows that you probably cant be legally recording audio:
Although Nevada is considered to be a one party consent state, there have been various interpretations of their law, so to err on the side of caution, we should consider it to be an “all party consent” state. All party consent means that all parties involved in any of the audio that is recorded must give consent. - See more at: Legalities of audio recording

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr, thanks for the link. Interesting article.

I live in an "all party consent" state, so I read the whole article. And I concluded I can record audio. And 3dogpottery may record audio.

But we must put up signs. Here's the portion of the article:
“oral communication” means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation, but such term does not include any electronic communication.

So, this essentially means that, if a person expects their conversation to be private, then it is illegal to record it. So, it is up to you to ensure that they don’t have any expectation of privacy. Most of this can be achieved with proper signage. If, when a customer comes into your business, they see conspicuous signs that say “AUDIO RECORDING IN PROGRESS” or something to that effect, then they surely cannot assume that their conversations will be private.

- See more at: Legalities of audio recording
If and when I put up a sign at my house is unknown. Until then, I'm probably outside the law.

Just my interpretation.... I'm not a lawyer....

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats inside your building; what about picking up audio from public or private property that is not yours from outside cameras?

If your neighbors are having a screaming fight and your mic's pick it up; they did not consent and your recording audio from their property, or people walking down sidewalk, etc.. mebe if you have large property its not a concern but for most residential uses it is.

best to be safe than sorry.. Colorado has a pretty clear exemption specific for security cameras that protects me.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point.
My driveway is 50 yards long. No neighbors in earshot.
Any audio I record is from people on my property.
(I guess I should have stated that alongside my earlier conclusion)
Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you probably need to put that sign outside audio recording range on your driveway; so you can argue people whom dont consent have the option to turn around at the sign.

If your already recording them by the time they read a sign next to your door then its a bit late.. I worked setting up call centers and we never recorded audio until someone picked up on our end, the notice that your conversation may be monitored was played well before any recordings taking place and if you continued then you were giving consent.. had to have legal clarify a few things for management that time because I was better educated than my boss on audio recording laws.

IANAL of course.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Another good point.
I wasn't keen on putting a sign on my house about recording audio/video. That's not a warm welcome.
Your comment made me think of my neighbor, who has a sign at the bottom of his long driveway.

It's sorta goofy, but I now appreciate it may serve a legal purpose.
Maybe I'll find a sign that includes "audio" in the notice. And put it way down the driveway, next to where we have the sign from the alarm monitoring company.....

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of good comments, but none of them had anything to do with my original question. Incidentally, the camera that has the audio is inside my house.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of good comments, but none of them had anything to do with my original question.
Fair enough.
Crackling on audio - I haven't experienced that. I don't use cams with built-in mics. Based on reviews that built-cam mic/audio isn't well picked-up or recorded. So I use external mics with cams that have the ability to connect ext mics.

I like that approach. I can aim the mic, independent of how the cam is mounted. As a newbie, I bought some domes for outdoor use. (now regret that) The dome allows the cam to be mounted to a surface, and then aim the optics with a wide range of range/direction. The lens can be aimed across a wide range, while the cam body remains in the position determined by mounting. I enjoy the benefit of aiming my mic the way I want, regardless of the poisition of the dome mount. When I aim the optics, a built-in camera mic would NOT be similarly aimed. eg: mic aimed forward, (with cam body) but optics aimed down and left within the dome.

I looked at your cam model on0line, but I'm not sure if the mic moves as you aim the optics.

So your cam (with built in mic) has crackling on audio. Me, I'd try this:
- take a stab at replacing the internal mic. Probably not expensive.
- Research if an external mic could be connected (a hack)

Dahua IPC-HDW4300C camera that suddenly developed noisy audio. The noise presents itself as a snapping and cracleling superimposed over the audio.
Other ideas:
- You replaced the cam with an identical model, so this seems h/w related (and not winter wind). So something happened to the original cam.
- Spider/bug plugging the mic hole, so the cam cranked up audio gain?
- indoor testing of both cams showed what results? (compare and contrast) Give us more symptoms/clues...

I don't have cams with built in mics, or cameras with that form factor. So I'll throw my hunches your way, and slowly back out of the peanut gallery. Maybe someone else has more cloasely related experience, with better guidance.

Good luck in 2017!

Fastb

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful reply @Fastb. On the face of it, my question is pretty lame. There could be a thousand reasons for the audio fail. Actually, I was just wondering wether other users of this particular camera have had similar issues. As I stated, this camera is in my home. Specifically, it is in the kitchen, and not exposed to weather. I have found the audio quality and sensitivity excellent on this particular model of Dahua camera. So, I will just chalk this up to an anomaly and be happy with the fact that this is the only failure I've ever had of my eight cameras.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Reset the cam to factory settings. Then, if the problem persists, compare the audio settings in the faulty cam with a working cam and change to match the working settings if different. If not, then if you don't want to disassemble and fix/modify it it then either turn it into a critter cam or put it near a cam with working audio but give it a different viewpoint. You can use the working cam's audio when needed. If using BI, then you can even use the working camera's audio as the audio source for the now-video-only camera. Works great if they're close together. No sense throwing out a working cam just because the audio doesn't work. I bet that the vast majority of installed cameras don't record audio anyway. Yours just won't be "special" any more.

scguy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dahua IPC-HDW4300C camera that suddenly developed noisy audio. The noise presents itself as a snapping and cracleling superimposed over the audio. Has anyone experienced such a problem? I have replaced the faulty camera with another of the same model. It is a shame to throw a camera away that still has beautiful video.
Just found this thread. I have a very similar issue with my newest Dahua. I've got a video in this posting.
Terrible audio DH-SD29204T-GN Help please.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Today I fixed the intolerably crackly gargling audio on my newer mic'd Dahua cams! The secret was disabling noise reduction in the cam's webui. Try it; the difference in sound clarity is night/day. Fwiw, this is with my cams' default 64k-711a encoding.

Kev

Krishna108

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I fixed the intolerably crackly gargling audio on my newer mic'd Dahua cams! The secret was disabling noise reduction in the cam's webui. Try it; the difference in sound clarity is night/day. Fwiw, this is with my cams' default 64k-711a encoding.

Kev

could this be done via the NVR? or WEB GUI for the NVR?

Eric R

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this audio thing out for a couple weeks now. I am running a Dahua 8 channel NVR with several HDW4433. I have read all the comments about shutting off the noise filter, however, I don’t seem to see that option. I can change all my compression rates, but nothing about a noise filter. Is this only available to turn off if your running a switch or BI? Audio isn’t horrible, but I do have a little crackling.