Dahua camera time issues with ntp time server on Synology NAS

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't allow my Dahua HDW5231R-Z to connect to the Internet so I have to use a local time server. My Synology NAS runs a time server which works fine with the Hik cameras, but with the Dahua the clock will flick foward 1 hour and then back an hour, and sometimes it will just gain another hour and then never correct itself.

Any ideas ?

As things stand I'm probably going to spin-up a ntp server on a Raspberry Pi or a docker image on the Synology and hope its better at playing nice with the Dahua.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas ?
Do you have DST enabled?
What's the behaviour with DST disabled?
Do you have the camera connected to an NVR or equivalent that would be doing a time set on the camera?

I have a Dahua camera connected to 2 Hikvision NVRs under ONVIF that behaves like that when DST is enabled (no internet time enabled).
It's down to subtle differences in how the time set over ONVIF is being applied from the NVRs.

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wasn't using DST - the cameras are connected to Blue Iris and are just using the camera's native overlays.

I've got it all working now using ntp on a Raspberry Pi.

Whats interesting is how bad all the cameras are at NTP - both Dahua and Hik. With the Hik cameras if you use the 'test' button for NTP with the Synology time server then it passed and NTP works. If you use test with the Pi time server then the tests all fail - but the NTP does actually work...