Dahua Camera why is DST "manual" ?!?!?

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have serval IP cameras (axis, DLINK, ...) where the DST (Daylight saving Time) is made autmatic so that I have nothing to do on the cameras to follow the winter time set.
Looking at my Dahua this morning, I see it stayed on the summer time, instead of passing to the winter time automatically ....
Looking at the setup, I see this is even worst as I need to enable DST (ok, was not done), but then it asks when to pass to DST ?!?!?
, specifying if I need to enter a week (start, end) or a date (start, end) ...

Why is it done like this, not automatic like on other brands, and how do I know what to enter for Belgium ??

Many thanks !

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably because not all places observe DST and just recently it here they changed the dates that it changes.....so now I have a wall clock that is automatic and it changes at the wrong date and now I have to screw with it twice :)
Oh here in the states you set it for week....2nd Sunday in March 12:00 AM and 1st Sunday in Nov. 12:00 AM

Last edited:

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still, my 2 other cameras are changing the time (winter / summer) at the exact correct moment (in Belgium was last night), but ok ... can understand.

I played a bit with the DST settings of my Dahua, but can not really understand the behavior ... it has a "sync PC" button which will sync the time with the computer ... but then it will only have a look at the next DST Start / end date for changing the hour forward or backward ?

I have the feeling like If I "sync with computer', and change the DST it will also change the time ???

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The way I set mine is to use ntp and I also enabled DST by defining the times when it starts and ends. In my case it starts first sunday in march and ends second sunday in november.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Still, my 2 other cameras are changing the time (winter / summer) at the exact correct moment (in Belgium was last night), but ok ... can understand.

I played a bit with the DST settings of my Dahua, but can not really understand the behavior ... it has a "sync PC" button which will sync the time with the computer ... but then it will only have a look at the next DST Start / end date for changing the hour forward or backward ?

I have the feeling like If I "sync with computer', and change the DST it will also change the time ???
DST has always been VERY buggy with dahua cams and NVR's. If you sync with your PC, it will adjust the time and date only.

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, but how is it supposed to work ?
I "sync with computer", it will set the same date and time as computer, then if DST is enabled, it will add / remove an hour at the configured start time / end time ?

P.S. I just tested at 15:58, synced with my computer, and set "DST End time" to within 2 minutes, wait 2 minutes and it comes to 15:59 then 15:00 instead of 16:00 ... so yes, it removes 1 hour when the "DST End Time" time comes.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, but how is it supposed to work ?
I "sync with computer", it will set the same date and time as computer, then if DST is enabled, it will add / remove an hour at the configured start time / end time ?

P.S. I just tested at 15:58, synced with my computer, and set "DST End time" to within 2 minutes, wait 2 minutes and it comes to 15:59 then 15:00 instead of 16:00 ... so yes, it removes 1 hour when the "DST End Time" time comes.
I just disable dst and set it manually.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think "sync with computer" is a one time shot. It seems to me like automatic DST could be accomplished via ntp.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is here....set it like this or whatever you region DST dates are and it works perfect and is fully automatic. As far as the NTP goes I run NetTime on my BI machine and let all my cams sync to it.

dst1.JPG

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is here....set it like this or whatever you region DST dates are and it works perfect and is fully automatic. As far as the NTP goes I run NetTime on my BI machine and let all my cams sync to it.

View attachment 23007
I have a few NVR's that when DST is set to a time zone(Mine is EST) will stay until a reboot then default back to the default time zone and my clocks will be off. These are enclosed systems and not connected to the net or a PC. Firmware is updated and I chatted with the USA reseller I got them from and they admitted their was issues with certain NVR's they sold. The newer NVR's I have do not seem to have the issue. I know some of these companies re-branded their firmware to suite customers needs like custom logo's bla bla and I just do what I have to do. If you read these forms i was not the only one with clock and time issues. I just got done screwing with and do it manual. Its no big deal if your system will stay put after you make the settings, If it will not then its a pain in the butt.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
DST has always been VERY buggy with dahua cams and NVR's. If you sync with your PC, it will adjust the time and date only.
I was referring to Dahua cameras not their NVR...which I don't use. The cameras themselves work fine as long as they are configured correctly.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup My Mistake, I need to learn how to read ;)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Should add if you live in Arizona you can disable it :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, having it set to 12:00 AM isn't the end of the world. It will just change 2 hours early.

Bramboo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Dahua cams and NVR changed to "winter time" last Sunday night here. Everything seemed to be alright, but when I tried to playback a stream, it showed the stream 1 hour earlier (so the timeline and the actual time of the stream had a 1 hour offset). Not a big issue, but a bit annoying if you want to search an event. Next day, everything was back to normal again.

Btw there are plans to stop using DST in some EU countries, as the energy savings are not as much as we always thought (/were told) and some people have problems adjusting to the new time twice a year :sleepy:

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Got up this morning and all my Dahua cams showed the correct time...fully automatic, didn't have to touch them. :lmao: