Dahua Captures mailbox break-in

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any video experts wanna take a crack at clearing up this footage to make out license plate?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Any video experts wanna take a crack at clearing up this footage to make out license plate?
I can't help and don't mean to hijack, but it looks like that house that blew up is completely rebuilt. Glad to see.

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep. All rebuild and good to go. Terrible to say but all the neighbors are a bit jealous now. Brand new everything.
As far as this video goes... I've tried After Effects and Premiere but Im a novice at best so it wasn't much help. I feel like there is enough there for software of some sort to get a clear image. Just not sure what im doing.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that's CSI TV stuff. there's a couple frames early on that have the plate a bit clearer.
to my eyes, looks like 4FZV321. California, right? Dark 4-door Nissan Versa?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did the thief have a key or did he pry it open?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
looks like he used some sort of tool you cram into the keyhole and forces the lock open.
you see him leaning into it when he jams it in...

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had 4 attempts I caught on camera and 3 of them the car had no plates, all 4 times the box was empty so the didn't get anything. I finally swapped the box out for a locking box and have had one attempt. They saw it was locked and tried to reach their hand inside but came up empty and proceeded to the neighbors box.

They need to increase the penalty for driving without plates.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried After Effects and Premiere but Im a novice at best so it wasn't much help. I feel like there is enough there for software of some sort to get a clear image. Just not sure what im doing.
The main technique that might enhance that plate would be interpolation. Individual frames from the video where the car is stationary could be extracted and then combined using interpolation. I don't like your odds though, there just aren't enough pixels on target. You need to be zoomed in a lot more.

Generally at night you are better off in IR mode. Getting a good plate capture often requires a dedicated camera with lots of IR light and short exposure times. The plate will light up nice and bright and the rest of the image will be very dark.

How many other cameras do you have and what are you using to record them? Auto tracking doesn't seem to be zooming in enough for a useful capture. Assuming you have other cameras, try to set it up so that an intrusion in a particular area like the mailbox triggers the PTZ to switch to a preset that much more zoomed in. Even just parking the PTZ on a preset that's zoomed in so the entrance to your cul-de-sac takes up the full width of the image would be better. That PTZ has lots of zoom USE IT!

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The main technique that might enhance that plate would be interpolation. Individual frames from the video where the car is stationary could be extracted and then combined using interpolation. I don't like your odds though, there just aren't enough pixels on target. You need to be zoomed in a lot more.

Generally at night you are better off in IR mode. Getting a good plate capture often requires a dedicated camera with lots of IR light and short exposure times. The plate will light up nice and bright and the rest of the image will be very dark.

How many other cameras do you have and what are you using to record them? Auto tracking doesn't seem to be zooming in enough for a useful capture. Assuming you have other cameras, try to set it up so that an intrusion in a particular area like the mailbox triggers the PTZ to switch to a preset that much more zoomed in. Even just parking the PTZ on a preset that's zoomed in so the entrance to your cul-de-sac takes up the full width of the image would be better. That PTZ has lots of zoom USE IT!
The zoom typically zooms great. My zones have worked very well. I normally would have gotten a great close up. Somewhat of a fluke I think. Then to compound the matter there is a time limit before it will re-aquire a motion target. He came in somewhat on the wrong side of the roadI'm going to see if I can tweak that setting. I'll also look into "interpolation." That sounds like exactly what I had in mind but I didnt know what it was called. Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The zoom typically zooms great. My zones have worked very well. I normally would have gotten a great close up. Somewhat of a fluke I think. Then to compound the matter there is a time limit before it will re-aquire a motion target. He came in somewhat on the wrong side of the roadI'm going to see if I can tweak that setting. I'll also look into "interpolation." That sounds like exactly what I had in mind but I didnt know what it was called. Thanks!
Are you using blue iris or an NVR? I feel like most of the night time videos you've shared would have benefited from more zoom and/or IR light.