Dahua connection to blue Iris

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Getting late and I am out of patience to figure out how to interface a dahua camera with blue iris. First I don't seem to be able to get Internet Explorer. When I try to open it defaults to MSN. Couldn't reach camera on default of 192.168.1.108 so used the configtool. Was able to initiatialize but that was all I could do. Still can't connect with blue iris.

If anyone has input or could connect via teamviewer to help please advise. Thanks

Got a Reolink up and running.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, what did you change the IP address to? Is it the same IP address range as your system?

Adding a camera into BI is easy once you have the camera on your network.

Select Add Camera
Type in IP address of the camera
Type in Username and password of camera
Hit the find/inspect button and let BI find the camera and all the functions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is how most of us get the camera into the IP address of our system:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make the change on network IP address. Got the one dahua up and working but lost the reolink with an address of 10.0.0.---. Assuming I need to change ip address for it. Also seems like I need to change ip address on dahua before adding another with 192.168.1.108. Trying to figure out how to do.

Also I am not able to get either the focus or zoom function on the dahua camera to work thru BI. Any pointers on this also appreciated.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you put the Dahua cams on the 10.0.0.XXX subnet and that is the subnet of the Reolink also?

And yes, you need to change the Dahua IP address for each camera. If you plug them all in at the same time, then you have IP address conflicts.

All focus and zoom should be done from within the Camera GUI, not Blue Iris. Now with that said, some cameras do have the capability to allow BI to send the focus and zoom commands, but even if it does, we still recommend using the camera GUI.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Put the Reolinks on the 192.168 subnet and all cameras are now showing. Thanks for the tip on using camera gui for zoom etc. Reolink works in BI. I am not able to access cameras for some reason thru IE. Not sure why as I would like to avoid the configtool. I ended up using configtool for accessing cameras and that is how I got them working. Curious if anyone else if having trouble with IE. I will be doing another handful before long and would prefer that method.

Thanks so much. Now time for refinement etc

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure Microsoft isn't switching it to Edge on you with the IE tab?

What is it saying when you are trying IE?

Is the computer you are trying it on the same IP address range as the cameras?

There is no reason for IE to not be working as that is what the camera firmware was centered around, so you have an error somewhere in your network topology or a typo.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What exact Dahua camera?
What IP address does the computer you are trying to connect to cameras have?
Your problems are user error.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be aware that all browsers (depending on how they're configured), including IE, are notorious for storing the last successfully-connected IP address and will fill in automatically in the URL (web address) area as you type and will SOMETIMES override what you think is 192.168.1.115 (as an example) with 192.168.1.111 (last successful entry) and when you hit <enter> the wrong URL is entered so you get an error because .111 is no longer valid. Look at the URL entry before you hit <enter>, you may have to backspace and correct.

Yes, it's VERY annoying. Happens to me a lot.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to all. At some point the IE interface started working. I now have multiple cameras up and running. One thing I am now experiencing is significant camera latency. I am sure it is all user error and that someday I will figure it out. Until then if someone has any suggestions it is appreciated. This is quite an endeavor. Glad I recently retired

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras going thru your router? If so, that is the problem.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

It is best to either dual NIC your BI computer or VLANs.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have all cameras using shielded cat6 directly to a 16 port POE+ switch. This switch then connects directly to computer that is a dell optiplex -I7-8700 3.2 Ghz w 16G ram. There is a ethernet cable from my router that also connects to switch. That is my current config.

Thanks

Still need to read up on blue iris config. The reolink client does not have the same latency. Did some reconfiguring and have reduced CPU usage. That may help. Likely can't get back to it until Monday though as I am hosting a mothers day event and behind in prep for it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK - throw another ethernet card in the computer ($10-$20) and have that switch with the cameras only connected to this new ethernet port. Then connect the router cable to the existing ethernet port. Or vice versa.

Are all of your devices on the same IP internet range? Good practice is to have the cameras on one IP address range and the internet on a separate IP address range.

Also make sure you follow every optimization in the wiki, including substreams.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the computer set to 192.168.1.100 and the cameras up to .116 currently. I have the small form factor dell and I can't see a way to add a card. There are USB to ethernet adapters. Do you think that would suffice for the connection to the router? Time to reread on optimization. Was difficult to comprehend prior to connecting.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dell SFF should have an open PCI slot?

If not, yes the USB to ethernet adapter would work for the internet for a BI computer (provided you are not trying to multi-task the computer) should be fine.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There looks to be two shorter/small open slots in retrospect. There si a Realtek Chipset Gigabit PCI Express Ethernet Network Interface Card with Low Profile Bracket (No Software)) on Amazon that looks like it might do the trick. Couldn't find much info on how to install and configure but likely pretty straightforward and can figure it out. I have a usb adapter on hand though so I may try it first.

Computer is dedicated to cameras and blue iris only. Other computers are the daily users for all other tasks so not much traffic expected to router other than for remote viewing. Haven't got into figuring that part out yet but zero tier looks intriguing

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, as per the Blue Iris help file, be Certain to properly exclude BI from any Antivirus software, including Windows Defender. That will make Bi lag if not done properly.

mrattray

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, as per the Blue Iris help file, be Certain to properly exclude BI from any Antivirus software, including Windows Defender. That will make Bi lag if not done properly.

Thanks for this info. You sent me the several of the next items I will need to do. Found another NIC card and will have later in week. All of the other config info is also helpful. I may be slow to figure out some of this stuff but have always been a DIY'er. It is actually kind of fun as I am learning