Dahua DB-11 DoorBell and DSC 1832 Powerseries Alarm Integration

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I just placed an order with EmpiretecAndy which included Dahua's DB-11 DoorBell. I am asking the forum for comments on power specifications. (Will separately post install project).

My current doorbell is wired with a cat5e from a simple doorbell button outside to my 1832 PowerSeries alarm board in the basement. When the doorbell is pressed (circuit is normally open, so when pressed, is closed), a chime sounds throughout the house on the alarm system. This was accomplished by wiring the doorbell with a single wire pair from the cat5e into a single zone of the DSC alarm system. I programmed the zone definition as a 24 hour non-alarm, changed the zone attributes so the upon fault and restore (opening and closing of the circuit via press and release of the doorbell button), a chime sounds. Then I changed the chime to differentiate it from the chime sound of a door opening and closing. Viola - Doorbell through your house alarm!

It will be very difficult to pull a 2-wire to the doorbell location. I also don't have a chime, and am doubtful that the wireless chime will sound as loud and permeate the house like the alarm chime does.

So my idea is to modify the DB-11 and use power from the DSC alarm to power the DB-11 over the remaining cat5e pairs. First, I ask this forum to determine whether the power out from the DSC is sufficient to run the DB-11. Next I'll ask if the modification to the DB-11 to continue to use the DSC ram as my "chime" will work.

Power spec from the DSC manual are attached. I have the PC1832 series.

A pic of the power side of the PC1832 Board is also attached indicating a 16V AC/2.5A max. power input. I was thinking of jumping onto this power supply to supply DB-11. Will this work?

Power requirements for the db-11 are attached.

To keep using the DSC alarm as my "chime" I want to modify DB-11. A tear down of the DB-11 can be found here DHI-DB11 Doorbell Teardown Internal Photos 1 Zhejiang Dahua Vision Technology Co., Ltd

I want to solder jumper wires from the push button lower pins (K1?) in the middle of the attached picture. The thought is that this is the location that open/closes the circuit. However, I'm concerned that there may be current running through that button and "mess something up?" Thoughts welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
My current doorbell is wired with a cat5e from a simple doorbell button outside to my 1832 PowerSeries alarm board in the basement. When the doorbell is pressed (circuit is normally open, so when pressed, is closed), a chime sounds throughout the house on the alarm system. This was accomplished by wiring the doorbell with a single wire pair from the cat5e into a single zone of the DSC alarm system. I programmed the zone definition as a 24 hour non-alarm, changed the zone attributes so the upon fault and restore (opening and closing of the circuit via press and release of the doorbell button), a chime sounds. Then I changed the chime to differentiate it from the chime sound of a door opening and closing. Viola - Doorbell through your house alarm!

It will be very difficult to pull a 2-wire to the doorbell location. I also don't have a chime, and am doubtful that the wireless chime will sound as loud and permeate the house like the alarm chime does.
I cannot speak to the Dahua DB-11, but can say my wireless LTS/Hikvision doorbell camera is wired using two conductors of a Cat-5e cable and works fine. I suspect the Dahua should as well.

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot speak to the Dahua DB-11, but can say my wireless LTS/Hikvision doorbell camera is wired using two conductors of a Cat-5e cable and works fine. I suspect the Dahua should as well.
what is the power requirements for the LTS/Hikvision and what is your power source? I am not concerned (I think) that grouping the remaining twisted pairs of cat5e can't handle the transmission of the power. I am more concerned with whether I have the right power supply to the DB-11.

Reaction score
Typical economy doorbell transformers lack sufficient amperage to drive the wi-fi as well as the camera circuitry. Search the doorbell forum, there are a ton of posts recommending the Edwards Signaling 30VA replacement doorbell transformer, about $30 at Amazon. Similar 30VA transformers are available cheaper, but this one is recommended by several users.

That forum also has several DB-11 threads which should prove quite helpful.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't use the alarm panel as power for your doorbell.
I didn't read every word, but that was what I got out of skimming your post.
You should get another transformer for the doorbell.
They come in various formats. Most common are the ones wired directly into your electric panel, but plug in ones exist also.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I want to solder jumper wires from the push button lower pins (K1?) in the middle of the attached picture. The thought is that this is the location that open/closes the circuit. However, I'm concerned that there may be current running through that button and "mess something up?" Thoughts welcome.
Definitely interested in this project! Let me know if you can mod the push button. I would want to run the exact same setup.

As far as power goes, the pleasant surprise I found with the DB11 was that it supports DC input out of the box. This means you should be able to drive it off the 12V rail of the PC1832 directly just like any other hardwired device. That would keep your install clean since you can use 2 wires for power and 2 wires for signaling the alarm relay. Doing so would be similar to the POE method i'm using now to power the DB11 (12V @ 1A). The DSC PC1832 puts out .700A on it's 12V rail for regular sensors, so you might be pushing the power limits, but it's worth a shot. I haven't been able to find official DC power requirements for the DB11 yet. The spec sheet claims .5A on load.

Keep us updated!

Last edited:

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want to interface with something else like that, you don't need to modify the doorbell. You can use something like this: ELK-930 Doorbell and Telephone Ring Detector

I wouldn't try to use your alarm panel to power the db11.
Oops! Yes, I've just realized I made a critical mistake when checking the specs. I completely forgot the PC1832 amperage rating of .7A@12V is shared on the entire rail with all sensors. This means it definitely won't be enough for a DB11. Apologies for the bad advice. The ELK-930 looks like a great suggestion.

I've also found DSC makes a power supply booster which adds 1A@12V and would work for your setup, but it's a bit pricey: PowerSeries Power Supply Modules | DSC Security Products | DSC

Either way, the good news is you have quite a few choices.

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually wired the doorbell into a cat5 patch panel, so I have easy access to it. I am still reading about which route to go. I like the ELK930 route. Since I don't have a traditional doorbell or mechanical chime, what power supply should I use? A spare 24V DC 1A cell phone charger?

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Elk 930. Hooked it up to the DSC, but no chime form the DSC alarm. The Elk930 requires a drop fo >900mA in current for it to send a signal out. In my old hook-up, the doorbell wires are normally open, when you pressed the doorbell, it closed the circuit. Upon close, the alarm responded with a chime. No such luck with the Elk930. Any guesses?

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a door chime, but otherwise I did a similar thing with this relay:
https://www.amazon.com/Functional-Devices-RIBU1C-Enclosed-Pilot/dp/B000LESCI2/ref=asc_df_B000LESCI2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128036548&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10439232284703710587&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016213&hvtargid=pla-492693527189&psc=1

It then reports to a zone on my dsc 1864.
I have the status watched via other home automation stuff and get notifications on my phones, tv, etc when the doorbell is pressed.
Hope that helps a little.

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a door chime, but otherwise I did a similar thing with this relay:
https://www.amazon.com/Functional-Devices-RIBU1C-Enclosed-Pilot/dp/B000LESCI2/ref=asc_df_B000LESCI2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128036548&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10439232284703710587&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016213&hvtargid=pla-492693527189&psc=1

It then reports to a zone on my dsc 1864.
I have the status watched via other home automation stuff and get notifications on my phones, tv, etc when the doorbell is pressed.
Hope that helps a little.

Can you take a pic of the wiring? or give me a schematic of how you wired it?

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@xtian were you able to successfully modify the DB11 push button? I'm planning to use a modified wireless DSC sensor as the zone trigger.

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
I am powering the db11 and elk with an 85w 18.5v old Apple power brick. I put a meter across the connections. See pics. The db11 is always on. So I don’t think I see a voltage drop when the door bell is pressed. Could someone look at the voltage meter pics and help me out? Even tell me what to test next?

If I can’t figure it out I’ll just order the ds11 chime.

Attachments

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the wiring? or give me a schematic of how you wired it?
Well it is tucked up in the ceiling in the basement so it isn't easy to get to.
What I recall doing though is putting the lower voltage wires (wht/blu and wht/yel) like it was another chime and then the normally open (yel and org) (or closed/blu) to a zone on the DSC.

xtian

n3wb
Reaction score
@silencery - I got the DB-11 to ring over the DSC! Trolling these forums I read that some folks were having trouble getting their mechanical chime to work when wired to the DB-11. They found that in the imou app, they had to identify that a mechanical chime was being used. Once they turned the app to "mechanical chime," it worked. I thought turning on the mechanical chime feature in the app may send an attenuated signal through the wire. So, I changed my settings in the imou app, and voila, pressing the doorbell now rings over the dsc! Whether a feature or a bug, the DB-11 appears to send a series of pulses through the line to the Elk930 sends corresponding pulses to my DSC. this just means that the door bell "ding dong" ring is a series of short pulses. Reading the other forums this is also the case when hooked up to some electric chimes.

My system is just DB-11 hooked up to an old apple 18.5W power brick with an elk930. The output of the ELK930 is connected to a COM and Zone input in the DSC power series block. (I also have a resister between the COM and zone). I forget how I assigned all the attributes/programming for the DSC so I can't help you there.

If you need to see a pic of the wiring, let me know.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
nice! thanks for the follow up. So you didn't even have to hack the button at all? Even better if that's the case!

Either way, thanks for thinking of me, but I'm afraid I can't use this method as I don't have wires running from the doorbell to the DSC panel. I've only got POE to the network patch, so I'll have to find another way.