Dahua DDNS Setup problems with iDMSS App

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I downloaded the iDMSS Plus application for my iPhone, but I'm having an issue getting remote access to any of the cameras using the Dahua DDNS service.

I have registered for DDNS through Dahua's quickddns.com site, and I've got my cameras setup such that they show up on the quickddns site with correct information, but my firewall (Ubiquiti USG) is blocking the connection to the camera. When I follow the DDNS path, I wind up at my gateway landing page. I'm not sure how to get the direct connection without a port forward (which, Dahua's Wiki suggests is necessary: "please confirm Internet access port is open and default port to open is: 80, 554,37777. To modify default port, please refer to DDNS User’s Manual.").

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would strongly advise against port forwarding these cams...
from your post it seems you dont understand what ddns does...start reading..
Thanks very much for your detailed help!

I've read at length, as it turns out, and I do understand what DDNS does. I have used it on other cameras before without trouble. Unfortunately, I'm finding Dahua's implementation difficult and hoping for some help. In particular, the Dahua Wiki suggests that ports need to be forwarded, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Please don't bother to reply again unless you want to actually help instead of being a forum troll.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your detailed help!

I've read at length, as it turns out, and I do understand what DDNS does. I have used it on other cameras before without trouble. Unfortunately, I'm finding Dahua's implementation difficult and hoping for some help. In particular, the Dahua Wiki suggests that ports need to be forwarded, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Please don't bother to reply again unless you want to actually help instead of being a forum troll.
Understand that you are here at my pleasure and I will get rid of you if you keep acting like a moron.
It is obvious that you dont understand what ddns is. So instead of being lazy, READ UP on it. If you can ask whether you need enter the ddns credentials in the app then its bloody obvious that you haven't a clue. Not to mention questions 1 and 3...wow..
You are further compromising your entire network and possible becoming part of a botnet by port forwarding your cameras..

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so first problem solved is that Dahua apparently has multiple DDNS sites. I mistakenly registered at the URL in the Wiki (dahuaddns.com -- which is also what iDMSS defaults to) and then noticed that the URL in the camera setup is actually quickddns.com. Now my cameras are showing up on the proper Dahua DDNS site.

However, there is still no connection to the camera. When I test the ddns path I wind up at my gateway. Not sure how to resolve without any port forward, but I'll work on it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so first problem solved is that Dahua apparently has multiple DDNS sites. I mistakenly registered at the URL in the Wiki (dahuaddns.com -- which is also what iDMSS defaults to) and then noticed that the URL in the camera setup is actually quickddns.com. Now my cameras are showing up on the proper Dahua DDNS site.

However, there is still no connection to the camera. When I test the ddns path I wind up at my gateway. Not sure how to resolve without any port forward, but I'll work on it.
oh god, it just keeps getting better...

Reaction score
You are further compromising your entire network and possible becoming part of a botnet by port forwarding your cameras..
As above, avoid exposing the cameras directly to the internet. VPN would be better and more secure.

What DDNS is doing is mapping your dynamic IP address (i.e. 82.101.122.1) from your ISP to a static web DDNS address (i.e. www.nickt-cameras.com). So when your ISP releases a new IP address to your modem/router, your chosen DDNS web address is also updated with this new IP address.

Basically DDNS is taking you to the home address, in this instance home is the router. However, to enter the house (camera) you will need to open door/window (port forwarding), without this it will never work. Port forwarding is done in your router.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As above, avoid exposing the cameras directly to the internet. VPN would be better and more secure.

What DDNS is doing is mapping your dynamic IP address (i.e. 82.101.122.1) from your ISP to a static web DDNS address (i.e. www.nickt-cameras.com). So when your ISP releases a new IP address to your modem/router, your chosen DDNS web address is also updated with this new IP address.

Basically DDNS is taking you to the home address, in this instance home is the router. However, to enter the house (camera) you will need to open door/window (port forwarding), without this it will never work. Port forwarding is done in your router.
Many thanks for your response. I have a good understanding of what DDNS is doing, but I am working with a new home network setup that's a bit different (Ubiquiti) and was having issues with the firewall.

Nevertheless, I have been suitably convinced that I should not do any port forwarding if I can help it. And as you recommend, I am currently looking into setting up a VPN. To that end, I have been looking at OpenVPN and considering whether to run the VPN server through my Ubiquiti Gateway or my NAS. Not completely sure of the plusses and minuses of either option right now, but I'm leaning towards getting it setup on my gateway and just leaving my NAS as a device behind the firewall.

As I make progress, I will update the thread so hopefully it may be useful to someone else.

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
VPN would be better and more secure.
So I have managed to get a VPN setup to my home network, and I'm able to connect iDMSS to my cameras remotely now (without port forwarding). The one issue I am having is whether or not I am going to have to toggle the VPN on every time I want to view the cameras or receive push notifications. There does not seem to be any VPN-specific setting in iDMSS.

I am also not 100% sure of the effect of the "send all traffic" toggle on the iPhone VPN settings. It seems to work both ways, but I'm not sure how the iPhone resolves when to use the VPN and when not to when the toggle is off. I suspect based on destination IP, but I could see that screwing up if I'm on another WiFi network with the same 192.168.x.x range.

It also seems that I lose the VPN connection when I transition from WiFi to cellular.

So still a few kinks to work through.

Last edited:

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have managed to get a VPN setup to my home network, and I'm able to connect iDMSS to my cameras remotely now (without port forwarding). The one issue I am having is whether or not I am going to have to toggle the VPN on every time I want to view the cameras or receive push notifications. There does not seem to be any VPN-specific setting in iDMSS.

I am also not 100% sure of the effect of the "send all traffic" toggle on the iPhone VPN settings. It seems to work both ways, but I'm not sure how the iPhone resolves when to use the VPN and when not to when the toggle is off. I suspect based on destination IP, but I could see that screwing up if I'm on another WiFi network with the same 192.168.x.x range.

It also seems that I lose the VPN connection when I transition from WiFi to cellular.

So still a few kinks to work through.

Good job figuring it out! A lot of people need their hand held and the forum doesn't like that at all if you can tell. I always do my research first so I don't an :eyeroll:

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good job figuring it out! A lot of people need their hand held and the forum doesn't like that at all if you can tell. I always do my research first so I don't an :eyeroll:
Thanks. I'm getting there. In this case, all I needed was to be pointed down the VPN path. I do appreciate all those folks that actually gave me some constructive ideas / advice.